Supercharging - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Supercharging
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:14 PM
Hello, I have a 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier and it has the 2.2 L OHV TBI inline-4 motor in it. Are there any serpentine belt driven superchargers that i can directly put on this motor?

Re: Supercharging
Friday, January 20, 2017 3:44 PM
no

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Wednesday, February 01, 2017 5:02 AM
Blue2000cavalier wrote:no

Well sort of, but no one has made on in YEARS.
RSM racing made a few....YEARS ago.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 01, 2017 10:56 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

True. But yeah, they're pretty much extinct.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, February 01, 2017 12:41 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

True. But yeah, they're pretty much extinct.

I've only seen one used kit sold in the past 10 years, and it was for the quad-4

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:06 PM
Closest thing would be a procharger. If you have AC you could replace the compressor with the procharger (obviously a custom made mount would need to be made). That motor is so low power though you would be better off with a motor swap IMO for the money you would have into it.

Sunday, February 05, 2017 10:10 AM
For the cash just swap in a turbo. Simple to swap in a Walbro 255 pump, simple turbo with internal gate, decent blow off, and decent water/meth injection and some proper tuning. Here is a link to build your own water/meth kit http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html.
Works great till you get past about 600 hp, at least that is what we found on a turbo 355 V8. Then a Snow performance and its progressive controller work much better.
Without pulling pistons to open up ring gaps I would limit my self to 5-6 psi, maybe 8 psi max and not push it super hard. Using a GTseries off ebay like GT2860,GT2871R should net you a fairly low spool and make clean power.
IF you want to push it hard you will need forged pistons, good rods, head studs. And make sure ring gaps are opened up for boost.
Stock pistons are hyperutectic and will shatter under knock or high boost.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search