At a crossroads with this car - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
At a crossroads with this car
Monday, August 28, 2017 11:37 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a 98 4 door Cavalier, 154k auto, and I'm guessing its a base model. I can't complain, as I paid $250 for it and drove it home.

Now, I want to start out by saying, I'm not a die hard j-body fan. I've never owned anything smaller than a half ton truck, and mostly 3/4 and one ton diesels are my vehicle of choice. I bought this car though, because we have to take my son to and from school which totals to about 65 miles a day.

Plans so far include oil change with synthetic oil, trans flush, new plugs and wires, tires, put new exhaust on the car because it has a leak or 12, and fix a few other minor things. It also has some body damage to the whole passenger side, PO ran it down a fence.

Where my dilemma lies, is do i just get it running well, replace the exhaust with factory type, and just keep it a beater? Or would it be worth the time and money to fix the body, and do some upgrades? I know at the end of the day, its my money/time/labor/etc., I can do body work and paint myself, as well as anything short of machine work on engine/tranny side.

I do plan to keep the car until it dies, as long as it's reliable. I will try to get a few pictures posted up tomorrow.

98 4 door Cavalier

Re: At a crossroads with this car
Monday, August 28, 2017 11:56 PM
Since you bought it for a beater, I wouldn't do anything to it other than what it needs to keep it running and driving well.
Re: At a crossroads with this car
Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:03 PM
Don't do any upgrades, just drive it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search