05 Cavalier want more HP (newbie) - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 Cavalier want more HP (newbie)
Friday, June 07, 2019 4:00 PM
As title stated I want more HP new to the car world and started googling how to go about this. I saw things about putting a cold air intake, new exhaust system etc. I want to know what would be the most affordable way to give my cavalier some more HP without breaking the bank. Any advice would be appreciated still new to this stuff.

05 Cavalier owner looking to Gain HP

Re: 05 Cavalier want more HP (newbie)
Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:06 AM
you can source a used m62 supercharger kit now a days for only 300-500 and sometimes they come with the gm reflash tune so you dont need hp tuners. with a stock pulley and tune its a cheap easy 200 wheel horsepower, or 240\250 crank horsepower. and since the stock ecotec is 150 crank hp its worth it in my opinion
Monday, June 10, 2019 5:00 AM
Welcome to the both of us.
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:29 AM
Thanks for the response I well definitely looking into that appreciate it.

05 Cavalier owner looking to Gain HP
Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:24 PM
The m62 supercharger kit must be the best option you got. How's your research so far?
Wednesday, May 06, 2020 4:29 AM
So what's up with one of these M62 kits?

How hard are they to install?

I work like 45 hour weeks so time is precious and I drive my Cavy daily.

I'm not a great mechanic. I've done brakes, starters, oil changes - things of that nature - but I don't know if I should dare throwing in a supercharger kit.

I have the money for one (if anyone here could point us in the right direction to a good brand with all needed parts??) but should I pay someone to put it in for me?

Man I really would like that extra 40-50 horsepower.
Wednesday, May 06, 2020 4:53 PM
Wednesday, May 13, 2020 4:58 AM
It's really straight forward and pretty easy.

The thread Tinkles linked is a huge wealth of info for sure on the subject. Most everything can be found on the cobalt groups for cheap.

Just don't overlook the tuning, bad things will happen.

DRIVING FORCE FABRICATIONS

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:05 AM
Would any of you ever do an upgrade like this to a Cavalier that is moderately rusting?

You guys that live outside of the Rust Belt (more like Rust HELL here in MN) are so lucky you don't have to worry about that cancer. I've got an excellent condition 4-door manual that otherwise would be a fantastic candidate for a nice engine upgrade...if not for the minor rust that is now starting to show up and surely to spread like cancer in the near future.

And mind you, I have parked it like 4 of last 4 Winters, and the car spent most of its like in Kansas prior to me buying it.
Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:07 AM
If money was an obstacle for you, of course. I realize the question is too open-ended (too many variables) - assuming you didn't want to just dump endless money into one of these cars and just really wanted that extra 40-50 horses.
Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:31 AM
Sure I would.

Then again I am with my rust, freebie of a sedan I got. Things far from great shape but I ended up scoring a complete SC setup for $350 so I jumped on it.

Price to performance and general fun factor a blower on a J is hard to beat.

Oh and best part is odds are you can resell everything later down the line and more than likely make your money back.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 6:59 AM
Jeffie @ Driving Force Fabs wrote:Sure I would.

Then again I am with my rust, freebie of a sedan I got. Things far from great shape but I ended up scoring a complete SC setup for $350 so I jumped on it.

Price to performance and general fun factor a blower on a J is hard to beat.

Oh and best part is odds are you can resell everything later down the line and more than likely make your money back.

Any tips on search terms?

I just searched eBay for "complete supercharger kit 2004 cavalier" and got limited results. Also in the completed items it doesn't appear what I am looking for has been listed on eBay.

From the limited reading up on this that I have done, I believe it's actually a Cobalt part that we are after in this application? 2005?

I like to get email alerts for rare items on eBay - for example, I sell a lot of golf clubs, and there is a rare putter I have been after and in the last 10 years, it has only been listed a few times. But I had the search terms down right so every time it was listed, I got notified of it and had the chance to pounce on it.

What search terms would you suggest I put in to get the entire setup I need to get a supercharger in my Cavalier?
Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:09 AM
I wouldn't use ebay.

Hit up the cobalt ss groups on facebook, you can find supercharger setups pop up quite often.

These groups
Cobalt nation buy/sell/trade

cobalt ss parts

ecotecnation

saturn ion redline forums

and hit up Jeffrey Nelson Reiland, good guy and he's usually got a nice stock of stuff.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:10 AM
Jeffie @ Driving Force Fabs wrote:I wouldn't use ebay.

Hit up the cobalt ss groups on facebook, you can find supercharger setups pop up quite often.

These groups
Cobalt nation buy/sell/trade

cobalt ss parts

ecotecnation

saturn ion redline forums

and hit up Jeffrey Nelson Reiland, good guy and he's usually got a nice stock of stuff.

Will do. Thank you.
Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:34 PM
If I bought this, is it all I need?

https://zzperformance.com/products/2-2-2-4l-bolt-on-supercharger-kit?variant=20810496049214&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwh472BRAGEiwAvH VfGuep3HXakyIxm9NBvo3XiRl15cvRYhrpHI_7CE4crSD6PsmNpvv30xoCzIMQAvD_BwE

If so, how many hours would it take a regular shop/mechanic to put it in (how much do you think I would have to pay a competent mechanic to install it)?
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:55 AM
You will be well over $1500 if you bought that kit, and you still would need to get a throttle body, manifold mounting hardware, and tuning.

Best option is still to hunt the cobalt groups and piece it together.

As for shop time that can be all over the place. For some one that's done it before it's a cake walk, for some one that hasn't to be safe a weekend.

Just do a lot of reading and looking at what people have done in the past and so long as you can hold a wrench you should be fine doing it yourself. If you ask around you may even find people local to you that have done it and could lend a hand.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 6:18 PM
Should I have someone install a supercharger in my Cavalier if I am not that mechanically inclined?

I can work on cars but a supercharger add on kind of scares me.

Down the road, if/when I need engine work done on it will all shops work on it for me with an aftermarket supercharger put in it, or ?
Thursday, July 16, 2020 3:03 AM
Personally I say find some one local that is a little more mechanically inclined or has done it before and go to town with it.

The supercharge swap really isn't as hard as it seems.

I don't see why a shop wouldnt work on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search