Northstar Question - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Northstar Question
Monday, January 28, 2008 8:24 AM
Hey guys, I know that some of the Northstar V8 engines will fit in a j-body. I was wondering what sizes would fit? I heard that a 4.2l would fit. I know hefty work needs to be done to get the transmission in so I expect that. I was also wondering would a Bonneville 04 4.6L engine fit at all or is that a huge longshot? Thanks for your time.

Re: Northstar Question
Monday, January 28, 2008 9:40 AM
any engine will fit in any car if you have the knowledge or pocket book

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:46 AM
Where in the world is a 4.2L Northstar from? There was the 4.0L Olds Aurora engine, the standard issue 4.6L and the 4.4L supercharged, as well as the 3.5L DOHC "Shortstar" V6. Aside from the V6, the displacement does not factor in to the physical size.

Regardless, it would not be easy.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:41 PM
Go 4.6l and use the getrag transmission.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:40 PM
I'm new to the j-body, but I have some experience with the 4.6 northstar. Awesome engine except for the head gasket failure. Requires time-sert repair. They also are known for burning oil. I loved my Eldo but got sick of paying big bucks to repair all the features. Also hot sick of dripping oil all over my driveway from the dang head which was way too much money.
Friday, February 01, 2008 8:11 AM
Chris Meyer wrote:I'm new to the j-body, but I have some experience with the 4.6 northstar. Awesome engine except for the head gasket failure. Requires time-sert repair. They also are known for burning oil. I loved my Eldo but got sick of paying big bucks to repair all the features. Also hot sick of dripping oil all over my driveway from the dang head which was way too much money.

Well don't replace the head gasket with the stock one (get one to hold higher pressure) and then crank the bolts down tighter.

Monday, February 04, 2008 4:44 PM
Rob Durrett wrote:
Chris Meyer wrote:I'm new to the j-body, but I have some experience with the 4.6 northstar. Awesome engine except for the head gasket failure. Requires time-sert repair. They also are known for burning oil. I loved my Eldo but got sick of paying big bucks to repair all the features. Also hot sick of dripping oil all over my driveway from the dang head which was way too much money.

Well don't replace the head gasket with the stock one (get one to hold higher pressure) and then crank the bolts down tighter.

Wow, that is just wrong. You would quickly pull the threads. Hence the time-sert. Do not wing it with these engines. The threads get trashed very easily. If you have to pull the head, and with this engine you will eventually, do it the right way, or you will do it again. The kit is under $400.
Saturday, February 09, 2008 7:35 AM
Well imo i have dealt with them north* engines and therefore not worth puting in any car for the same reason GM is quickly phasing the north* engine out and using the new 3.6l V6. If Gm decided to put a different engine into the Cady's and start puting the North* in the grand Prix GXP's that would have been first clue that this engine is nothing but a 4.6l money pit which was costing GM big bucks to keep this thing around and take a chunk of ppls money by trying to fix them. There fun to drive not fun to fix. If you want to put a bigger engine in you car i would recomend the 3.8l V6 they are a strong motor that has been around for years and last much longer if you do the righ steps in maintaining it. My moms Park Ave has 274,000miles and still ran untill the trany blew up but the engine still runs as if it was new. This motor also will fit in you Cavy with some modifications.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:11 AM
LilRedZ24 wrote:Well imo i have dealt with them north* engines and therefore not worth puting in any car for the same reason GM is quickly phasing the north* engine out and using the new 3.6l V6. If Gm decided to put a different engine into the Cady's and start puting the North* in the grand Prix GXP's that would have been first clue that this engine is nothing but a 4.6l money pit which was costing GM big bucks to keep this thing around and take a chunk of ppls money by trying to fix them. There fun to drive not fun to fix. If you want to put a bigger engine in you car i would recomend the 3.8l V6 they are a strong motor that has been around for years and last much longer if you do the righ steps in maintaining it. My moms Park Ave has 274,000miles and still ran untill the trany blew up but the engine still runs as if it was new. This motor also will fit in you Cavy with some modifications.

personally I like the northstar, but I think the 3.8 is a better idea. I know someone has crammed a bonneville SSE motor in a cavalier, which is a 3.8 supercharged. also a 3.4 DOHC v6 from a lumina or monte carlo z34 is a good candidate, since its a 60 degree v6 like the old 2.8 and 3.1 z24 motors, so it would make the issue of picking a transmission much easier
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:59 AM
I love the N* engine its just that since i have owned them they are very high maintanance and are expensive to fix when major components start to fail. So i would rather just stay away from owning them but if iget a chance to drive them i will. i Think if gm spent a lil more time with this italian designed engine and not rush through to have a finished product this engine would have been around a lil longer. Also if you do go with puting an 3.8 into you car make sure you get either the Series II or newer the series I only had 180HP stock the newer 3.8 have 200-205hp up to 240hp w/sc

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search