Finally, people who understand! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Finally, people who understand!
Monday, February 04, 2008 12:39 AM
Upon reading throughout this forum for the past hour, if not more, I am happy to see that there is finally somebody who understand the reasons behind purchasing a 4 Cylinder Sports Car. Sure, a 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier is not "the greatest car in the world." But... for $4,500 loan amount, with 81,300 miles on it, and only one owner with a carfax report of it not having being involved in any accidents, I think it's a great buy considering the cost of insurance included.
Yes, I could have bought a V8 Camaro Z28 from 1991 for the same price, but... insurance would be 250 if not more per month. Not to mention that the camaro gets around 15-20mpg.

Being a newbie to these forums and having scoped around, I've read the horror story of the 18yr old with the 03/04 Cavalier messing with the VSS and speeding around freeways like he's in Nascar. That's not something I've ever even WANTED to try. But, that's a good thing. Now for my n00by questions.

My 2001 Chevy Cavalier has the 2.2L I4 which sadly has only 115whp. Now, being a pizza delivery expert (please tip the driver! I mean, seriously, you tip a waitress/waiter, and all they do is walk from the kitchen to your table. We drive the hazardous streets in rain, snow, ice, lava... ok not lava, but you get my drift?), I do not want to go from 0-60 in 3.5. However, I would like to know what ways I could make it go from 2.2 to 2.4L with 150hp or just increase it to 150whp if not 200. Now, I understand that speed costs money, but what would be the most cost effective and do it yourself way to do this?

Another thing, I've posted this same question on Yahoo! Answers, and so far the responses have been... "Nitrous."

That's illegal on the streets, at least in Washington State, and I'm a delivery driver, so that would be pointless. I've seen a supercharger kit, but it cost as much as my car and claimed that it produced +80hp, that's... a waste of money and time. Also, I've read the "performance F.A.Q" too, and it didn't seem to answer my question. It just basically told me where to begin in modifying my car/engine.

Thanks to everyone here who responds with an answer that actually makes sense, and is logical.

Re: Finally, people who understand!
Monday, February 04, 2008 1:00 AM
Just a few minutes ago, I was in a Yahoo! Chatroom called "Car Chat."

In it, was just a bunch of immature people, who think a car is complete garbage if it isn't able to go 200+mph. That's very sad, that there are people out there who think that way. I just thought I'd mention that, and hope that nobody like that is wondering around these forums.

Monday, February 04, 2008 4:37 AM
I wouldnt call a cavalier a "sports car", its an economy car and i bet the "people" who only respect 200mph+ cars are proboly driving civics.

The 2.2L OHV does have alittle potential, but its gonna take more to reach your hp goals.

Read the forums some more, do some searches. Its all up to you with what you wanna do to it.

Monday, February 04, 2008 5:01 AM
if you dont wanna go Nitrous then your best bet as far as reaching your goals with the 2.2 would either be a SC or a turbo....neither of which are cheap. buuut the alternative would be a N/A build witch would end up costing you way more then the forced induction route. or you could always do a motor swap.....

anyway....if you have questions dont be afraid to ask....oh wait...its the .ORG

thing before you ask so some jack ass will flame the hell out of you lol...

i keed i keed

anyway, welcome to the

Monday, February 04, 2008 7:38 AM
I dont think they make a supercharger for the OHV.

Monday, February 04, 2008 7:43 AM
not as far as i know but they have plenty of turbo kits out for it.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, February 04, 2008 8:41 AM
They did have supercharger kits available, however they were discontinued. I know theres been talks about someone making them on the org, but i havent kept up with that post. Good luck and welcome to the org

Click Sig for Jersey GM's Official Website

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:02 AM
Welcome to j-body.org! If only looking to reach 200hp, just stick with the engine thats in it. All you'll need will be turbo, exhaust, intake (abridged obviously, in searching the forums you will find the specifics).

Monday, February 04, 2008 11:29 AM
Sweet, sweet. So basically this is going to cost around $5,000 to increase the horsepower to 200? Gotchya.

Perhaps I'll just add an intake, and search the forums for a real ECM, then just make this a lux model.

Monday, February 04, 2008 1:06 PM
Himinaru wrote:Sweet, sweet. So basically this is going to cost around $5,000 to increase the horsepower to 200? Gotchya.

Perhaps I'll just add an intake, and search the forums for a real ECM, then just make this a lux model.

Lol, not quite that bad, you can probably get away spending 3k (custom parts and self-installation).

Monday, February 04, 2008 2:24 PM
That'd be nice... but what about remapping the ECU with the turbo? Or would that come with a preflashed ECU for it?

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:01 PM
Himinaru wrote:That'd be nice... but what about remapping the ECU with the turbo? Or would that come with a preflashed ECU for it?

I'm sure you could get one pre-mapped, most use HPtuners with the stock ECU.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:23 AM
Well, like the Stage 1 Turbo kit from Jtuners.com with the Garrett T3 “Super 60” Turbo, is that stock ECU Material?

I just need to win the lottery, so I can go to Wyotech and learn all this stuff and start my business. U_U speaking of which... *checks the tickets*

The numbers aren't up on the website yet. Sadness... oh wait... last night was monday... no wonder. I feel dumb... I'm tired. Don't listen to me. Except for that question about the turbo kit. ^_^

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:18 AM
Lol, yea, you can use any given turbo with the stock ECU, it's just a matter of tuning through hpt.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:10 PM
Gotchya, so yeah like I said, first I think I'll modify the interior. I need to replace both the driver and passenger bucket seats, as they are worn. As well as replacing the sound system and stock Radio.

But then again, if I win the lottery tonight (55million take home before taxes)... then i'll be sending it in to a local car shop, after buying some things to entertain myself while it gets souped up.

But then again, I'm an optimist, and I've had what I would do if I won the lottery planned in my head for nearly 2years if not more.

Well, thanks for everyone's help!

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:59 PM
you can get a turbo kit from importperformanceparts.com for about 3k. it comes with everything you need and at about 7 psi should give you 180 to 190 hp without blowin up your internals. anything more than 8 psi from what i understand is a grey area with stock internals. also, where in washington state do you live?

horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:37 AM
02 silver cavy wrote:you can get a turbo kit from importperformanceparts.com for about 3k. it comes with everything you need and at about 7 psi should give you 180 to 190 hp without blowin up your internals. anything more than 8 psi from what i understand is a grey area with stock internals. also, where in washington state do you live?

You can push past 8, you just need bigger injectors. The LN2 has in the past handled up to 250 on stock bottom end (and I think for the most part stock upper as well, no guarantees there though).

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:10 PM
How about twin turbos? Or is that just a longshot to mars?

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:11 PM
And, I live in northwestern washington

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:39 PM
^^^ ahh, my mother lives in sedro wooley, its like an hour and a half north of seattle

horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:36 AM
the 2.2 ohv is a dog. itll run forever, but power is limited at best.

in your situation, the best bang for your buck will be in an engine swap. 2.4 LD9 Twin Cam and the 2.2 L61Ecotec are the two engines you'll want to look into, as they both came stock in 3rd gen Js.

because they came in Js stock, you can get a full swap from a junker for pretty damned cheap. i know a handful of guys who have gotten full swaps for around $500. what that will so is give you a much better platform to work from with a better aftermarket. if you do the 2.4 you can get a s/c kit from GM (i think they cost about $1300 from GMPP) and thatll net you around 190 ponies. a s/c kit for the eco will cost you a few bucks more, but the eco has a higher potential and is a newer engine.

coming back in 2008...

Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:54 PM
(tabs) wrote:the 2.2 ohv is a dog. itll run forever, but power is limited at best.

in your situation, the best bang for your buck will be in an engine swap. 2.4 LD9 Twin Cam and the 2.2 L61Ecotec are the two engines you'll want to look into, as they both came stock in 3rd gen Js.

because they came in Js stock, you can get a full swap from a junker for pretty damned cheap. i know a handful of guys who have gotten full swaps for around $500. what that will so is give you a much better platform to work from with a better aftermarket. if you do the 2.4 you can get a s/c kit from GM (i think they cost about $1300 from GMPP) and thatll net you around 190 ponies. a s/c kit for the eco will cost you a few bucks more, but the eco has a higher potential and is a newer engine.

I won't even bother with a retort, talk to the few who have actually turbocharged the LN2 and you will find that they are more than happy with the results.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 7:00 PM
^^^ i totally agree. i wouldnt trade my ln2 for anything

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:32 PM
Making decent power with your pushrod motor isn't hard, just expensive. If turbo is a little overpriced for you, about a grand in bolt ons can make for a little improvement, and you can spend it over time, bit by bit. Engine mounts, header, the rest of the exhaust system (high flow cat, catback, and if you prefer, a new tip), intake and pulleys would be a great start, wouldn't take much work, and would complement a turbo set up nicely later on. A short shifter, flywheel and clutch would make a good improvement in getting some of that power to the wheels.

Just make sure you get your modding done before you have to go to work, or you're gonna have a lot of walking to do!

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, February 11, 2008 12:49 PM
That's a great idea Scott!

After I put in new seats, and redo the sound system (seeing as my car is pretty much my home), I can buy the various parts bit by bit. Though, I've looked into full exhaust systems and they run about $1,300... though I could be looking at the wrong websites. =D

And yes, I would prefer a new tip, I'd prefer a whole new exhaust. Then again, I'd prefer a Skyline GTR-34 =D

But anywho, let's see... so yeah. Thanks everyone ^^

What all goes into an exhaust? If I do later add a turbo, I'll be needing engine mounts.... anywho, I'll do a search through the forums and collect the info that i need.

Thanks again! ^^

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search