Slower with more mods???... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Slower with more mods???...
Thursday, December 22, 2005 11:59 AM
Hey, I have an 04 Cavy and a while ago my dumbass ruined my old engine (the stock one) from trying to put in a certain canadian companies Cams...(who I won't mention). Anyway's I was looking at my old time slips and before I screwed up the motor I ran at the track a few times. Most of my times were with a 2.3 60ft and I usually ran 15.4's 15.3's and 15.5's consistently. At this time I only had an intake, lightweight pulley, and borla muffler. My best time (in the sig) was 15.284 backed up by a 15.285@__mph

Now, I got a new engine installed by a local junkyard with 2000 miles and I added a few mods: Pacesetter header, magnaflow Hi-Flow cat, 2 1/4 Piping,

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Re: Slower with more mods???...
Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:42 PM
Continued... (sorry, I was at work and it was time to go)

bored out Throttle Body, and port matched Intake Manifold. And I went to the track again this year. My BEST time was a 15.6 with a 2.2 60 ft ??? what happened? I knew it felt slower but I wasn't sure. Now I am. Why could this be. I know some cars are slower than others but it is a pretty big difference + all those mods.Though it was not quite as cold this year as it was when I ran last year, but I just am dissapointed after everything I have done it is slower than before... I lost a little power down low from what I did to the manifold.

I used to walk all over my friend v6 3400 grand am and now I barely put a car on him by 4th.

Anything I can check for? I used to pull 9.8's in the 1/8 but now I can barely even get under 10.0!

Any advice is appreciated

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:38 PM
How are your mph's comparable to before in the 1/8 and 1/4?

2000 Turbo Z
Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:28 PM
suspension. tires weather weight. driver. there are so many other things other than power.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, December 23, 2005 12:09 AM
wether? heat?

Friday, December 23, 2005 10:23 AM
i herd those pacesetters are crap i dont know how it works but the pacesetter is 4 tubes and it keeps going to 4 at the end with a metal raped around the end part , if thats makes sence, id think u need like 4 then into 1
Friday, December 23, 2005 10:57 AM
Burnout,
I'm at work right now. I'll have to check when I get home on the mph.

I know temperature, humidity, tire pressure, amount of gas, and whatnot affect how much power the engine makes and everything, but the same things affect my friends car and I can barely walk him anymore and thats WITH his stereo in! Because after I got the car back with the new engine I raced him with the same mods as before (intake pulley and muffler) and it was like dead even.

I'm thinking that maybe when I dremel'd the Intake mani it actually decreased performance. I dunno maybe I will try swapping the stock on back in. hell maybe I'll try putting the stock TB in too.

All of these things are only going to be a problem until I finish the Eco I am rebuilding and get it put in. So it's not a huge deal.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Friday, December 23, 2005 2:04 PM
thats your problem ... i had the problem on my first car. you can really only have the ported intake manifold and have a ported tb and those headers if you are eather boosted or have bigger/better injectors. if you want more power get bigger injectores or get ride of eather the tb and manifold or the header (i would sugest the tb and manifold)

Friday, December 23, 2005 2:47 PM
/\/\/\ that's what I was thinking, the bigger throttle body and intake manifold would shift your power band up higher. So less time in power band = less speed? Could be mistaken.
Friday, December 23, 2005 6:47 PM
even with my cams when i had my ported 62mm TB on mine with header and full 2.25 exhaust i was running the same times as stock, a 16.3, but when i went back to a stock TB i was running 15.8 all day long. like they said the bigger TB shifts the power band to high up so you lose to much on bottom and dont have enough distance to make it back up on top end.

IMHO id say wait till you have at least a P&P head before going with the bigger TB

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, December 23, 2005 9:02 PM
Kyle Rupprecht wrote:thats your problem ... i had the problem on my first car. you can really only have the ported intake manifold and have a ported tb and those headers if you are eather boosted or have bigger/better injectors. if you want more power get bigger injectores or get ride of eather the tb and manifold or the header (i would sugest the tb and manifold)

you have got to be @!#$ joking right? so adding airflow only helps when your boosted?

did you just teel him to get bigger injectors? for what?

please what ever you disregard this and mr KYLE pleaes make sure your postive about what you say before you post. alot of people read this and base decisons off of it.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 7:53 AM
LMAO!!!!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:03 PM
Well, I'm open to any opinions and ideas so I will probably try going back to the stock manifold and then experiment with the stock TB. But I doubt I'm gonna mess with different injectors... If anything it should help me get better gas mileage because I drive like 80 miles to work round trip everyday.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:44 PM
definitely keep your exsisting manifold ans bigger TB if the stock stuff is better though, like i mentioned it will be very helpful when and if you do head work later.

goodluck with it

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, December 25, 2005 2:39 PM
I will definatly hang on to the modified one, but I am dreading going outside in the Pennsylvanian weather right now (freezing rain) to swap them. Thanks everyone!
I'll post if it helps at all.

Merry Christmas!

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Sunday, December 25, 2005 5:31 PM
where do you live in PA im in King of prussia

Monday, December 26, 2005 10:50 AM
save the spray for the way back.

bro

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 6:23 AM
I live in Johnstown, PA. I never heard of King of Prussia? It must not be very close.

And Jake, ...what spray? I don't have Nitrous.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:10 AM
we have the third biggest malll in the country. and hes joking about the spray.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:59 PM
might sound dumb, but I had a new engine put in my car and my exhaust cam was off 2 notches and it run, just low power, and low compression, pulled it apart and retimed it, then ran like a charm, have you checked your compression? plugs?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, December 29, 2005 2:28 PM
No, I haven't checked any of that stuff yet. But I have no way of accuratly telling if it is timed wrong or right. I will check the plugs tho. Then I need a new comp. tester and I will check that too.

The car is in the garage for the next day or two. Is there anything else I can check for?

Maybe I could try the LZM cams again...muuhaaaa (even tho thats what made this whole mess in the first place.)

thanks

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:57 PM
are they the stage 2 LZM cams?

The one, the only, ME.
Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:58 PM
ooops

if so hit me up on AIM ecotecowns sometime ill help ya get them working right

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, December 30, 2005 11:39 AM
Yes, they are the (original) set... i guess stage two. Ya know...the ones with all the problems... when are you gonna be one AIM. Cause a hardly ever use it anyomore.
Thanks

Update....

I put the stock Manifold and TB back in. But I have to get it inspected 2morrow. So I have to wait till then to drive it because I don't want ANOTHER ticket. ( I got one for the inpection and one for the registration.)

I got some pictures but I don't know how to post the damn things... it won't let me copy and paste?

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Friday, December 30, 2005 10:35 PM
Do you know your actual air-fuel ratio?

Maybe your mods have caused your engine to be lean at WOT. Need to change VE table.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search