What class with turbo? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What class with turbo?
Sunday, January 08, 2006 9:39 AM
I just purchased a Hahn Stage II. When this is on my car, does anyone know what SCCA AutoX class I will be in? I also have adj shocks, springs, seats, etc...see my registry for more. I will be on street legal tires too. I am not really sure what class since there aren't any other turboed Cavs around here. Thanks.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"

Re: What class with turbo?
Sunday, January 08, 2006 9:48 AM
most likely SM

Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:39 PM
Yup SM...better get some R-compounds!

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Sunday, January 08, 2006 4:59 PM
What is SM class? I can't seem to find it in the rulebook from 2005. Do you guys just mean street modified as in a wide open class? What kind of cars are in this class too?

Sunday, January 08, 2006 5:18 PM
Yes street modified, every car that doesn't fit into any other class will be in SM.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:50 PM
Good luck in SM! Prepare to run against heavily modified BMW's, civic hatchs, etc...

Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:39 PM
So "SM" is what I put on my car. No other letter after the M. Is this correct? You guys are basically telling me that I will get my tailpipe handed to me? LOL.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:46 PM
silvercav02 wrote:So "SM" is what I put on my car. No other letter after the M. Is this correct? You guys are basically telling me that I will get my tailpipe handed to me? LOL.

correct, correct, correct, and most likely.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:55 PM
silvercav02 wrote:You guys are basically telling me that I will get my tailpipe handed to me? LOL.

I would imagine that you will get owned pretty bad. It sounds like you are a novice, and if that is in fact the case, start off in the novice prepared class for your first year. Also, hold off on R compounds if you are a novice.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:07 PM
stop talkin about this
i cant wait for this season to start but my region hasnt posted any dates yet

Sunday, January 08, 2006 11:10 PM
sounds to me like if you're going to have any hope of being competitive in street modified, you're gonna need full coilovers, sway bars, chassis tie bars, and just about every other suspension component imaginable, all dialed in with a proper alignment... Even then, there's nothing thats gonna make up for you being a rookie other than experience.

And I'm just a lowly drag racer

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Monday, January 09, 2006 7:47 AM
I say rather than waste money trying to improve a car thats not going to be competitive he should just save up and buy a real car.

Monday, January 09, 2006 10:36 AM
regionally he may not have a problem. When I ran with the philly scca for an event their SM class consisted of some boosted DSM's that still got owned by my GS fire.

Nationally, SM is a money burning hobby. You can club race for less than being competitive in SM.

-Chris

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:30 AM
You're prolly gonna get it handed to you, bro. You can build a serious ride even with a Cavy, but unless you can drive, and I mean really drive, forget it. I've seen rally cars that can handle anything get toasted because the driver was inexperienced. I've never done autocross, but I bet the same rule applies.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Monday, January 09, 2006 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys. That kinda bites. I expected to get owned if my gut was correct! I did race at an autox last year and was ready for another, but I broke my car. It is just for fun and I have been waiting for forced induction for over 3 years. I should have expected something like this to happen. I was kinda hoping I could race against SRT-4's and all in STU or STX whichever it is. Is that possible in any way shape or form? I thought SM class was only for race tires. I was planning to run NON R compounds. I would think an SRT-4 and my Cavi would be a good match. Thanks again.

Monday, January 09, 2006 1:19 PM
SRTs, unless modified beyond class regs, will likely compete in one of the stock classes, since they're factory turbo'd. Any car with a non-factory turbo will be bumped into SM because they don't meet Stock, Street Touring, or Improved Touring regs. If you want to compete with other factory turbo cars, you'll need a car that is also factory turbo. But some cars still don't qualify. My friend's VR4, for example, isn't even allowed in the local events, because it's pretty much a factory race car with AWD, AWS, and turbo. At that point he might as well have a Skyline (which was, incidentally, banned from racing in Japan for the same reasons)

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search