first time at track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
first time at track
Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:09 PM
i took my sunfire to the track for the 1st time last night. i ran a 17.2 for my first run with the traction control with a .460 reaction time. i ran a 16.93 with it off and a raction time of .640. my car is bone stock. any good advise to run quicker????

thanks

Re: first time at track
Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:21 PM
Thats about right. I ran a 17.2 the first time i had no mods. with a really bad reaction time. Full exhaust will make a diff and an intake. Try a small shot of nitrous if your man enough for it!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:56 PM
17's in a stock 2.2 eco? sounds horrible, i seen a 4 door 2.2 eco at the track with a intake run like a 15.7, hmmm

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:27 PM
Exactly the same time I did 17.2 on my first run, bone stock, with subs and toolbox in the trunk, Auto trans.....first reaction time was .670.....second time run was .090....but I cant remove my traction control, not like the Sunfires

CaviFL45

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:38 PM
I'd blame elevation normally.... but you live in Florida... and its pretty mild weather down there right around now, so we can't pin it on heat....

Guess what?

That leaves YOU, or your driving rather. Get in touch with Adam (Ad1kt3d2Spd)... he has run 15.5 in an auto eco with just intake, header, exhaust, and motor mounts. I won't pretend to tell you what to do as i have ZERO experience with racing FWD automatics. But you should definitely be able to go much quicker, as even stock you should be able to do low 16's. We also had a 4 door auto eco running mid 15's but its now become a project car for another Jersey J.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, January 13, 2006 6:40 AM
There's a lot of Sedan talk, are Sedan's noticably slower than coupes?
Friday, January 13, 2006 6:40 AM
thanks for the help. i know my reaction time was crappy but i have NEVER ran a car at the track before. my good friend and other member of my car club ran a 16.43 in his ecotec '03 sunfire. he has intake, cat back exhaust and pullies. he tried manually shifting his auto (didnt help him at all). he ran his when he first got it with just a intake and sun bad and ran a 16.55 .my dad suggested power braking my car a little to get a quicker time. so if i do that what rpms should i launch my car at?

thanks
Friday, January 13, 2006 8:22 AM
the second time I ran....when I got the .090 reaction time.....Used the power braking method...brake and floor it between 1500RPMs and 2000RPMs......first time I had to much wheel spin, did it around 3000rpms and 3500 rpms.....I would ersonally recomend 1500-2000rpms on a AT ecotec

CaviFL45

Friday, January 13, 2006 12:02 PM
reaction time only counts if your trying to beat the guy beside you, let air outta the front tires some to hookup better, i personally hook up almost perfectly with 23psi of air in my fronts on street tires of course and i rev to 1700 and i usually hookup. just gotta try diff launching rpm's for your engine, yours could be 2,000 just try stuff out.

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:12 PM
17.2 sounds way slow for an Ecotec.
Monday, January 16, 2006 2:49 PM
BOOSTED wrote:reaction time only counts if your trying to beat the guy beside you.

Wrong. Whether you are racing heads up or even bracket, reaction time counts just as much as what's under the hood. I've been bracket racing for I don't know how long and one of the things I learned when I first started is reaction time can mean the difference between winning and going home. Even when racing the clock.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:38 PM
You RT isn't counted in the ET, but if racing, either bracket or heads up, it could mean going on to the next round or going home.

Monday, January 16, 2006 4:31 PM
Finally someone who agrees with me. ET is ET, RT or no RT, but bad RT can lead to bad ET. Confused? Good.

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:53 PM
You got it!!..........

...........I think!?

Monday, January 16, 2006 6:45 PM
Think that's confusing, check my new sig:

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search