AutoX rules suggestions - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AutoX rules suggestions
Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:09 PM
Hey everyone.

I've been thinking about getting into auto x'ing my fire. Drag racing seems interesting, but I (personally) think auto x has a little more practical usage.

So...instead of searching (I know...burn me at the stake!), Does anyone have a link to a rules/guidelines website for autoX, and do any of you guys have any suggestions.

My Car
2001 Sunfire GT-Auto

Thanks guys, I know you won't dissapoint me

Re: AutoX rules suggestions
Friday, April 07, 2006 9:58 AM
Linky

PDF for your pleasure

-Chris

Re: AutoX rules suggestions
Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:10 AM
Thanks

Re: AutoX rules?
Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:17 PM
Since there's already a thread semi-dedicated to my question, and this guy's done so it won't be a thread jack... I can't seem to find specifically whether aftermarket forced induction or the Alero IRS would bump me from SM. Everyone seems to think of SM as an 'almost anything goes class', but I know there must be limits...

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:12 PM
Juaggalo Zeke runs his S/C cav in SM so i dont see why not

Monday, April 10, 2006 11:00 AM
SM has its limits. But you can run a super/turbocharged anything in SM pretty much.

As long as any other mods are within the limits of any classes below. SP, STS and Stock you should be fine.

The IRS tho I think may put you into a Prepared (different from Street Prepared), or different mod class.

I'll see what I can find out.

-Chris

Monday, April 10, 2006 11:29 AM
I actually can't find anything allowing the modification you've done to the rear suspension. I'd ask the guys at the autox, they may just throw you into SM anyways.

Don't even think about going to a nationals tho.

SM allows you to convert the front to double wishbone, but the rear has to stay the same.

-Chris

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:46 AM
Street Modified allows for unlimited engine modification. You do how ever have a couple suspension restrictions but i belive theyre pertaining to the mounting point location...

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:26 PM
Alright, thanks guys. I'm definately not planning on ever doing anything outside of this region, as I don't have the money to be competitive in whatever class I'll end up in, just looking to have some fun (and hopefully not get run over on a road course, I think I can run IT-E there). What's the highest solo class that requires street tires?

fortune cookie say:
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 12:42 PM
the Alero IRS swap by itself will put you in a "Modified" category.

Forced Induction by itself will put you in "Street Modified" -- and there is a difference.

The deal is with the alterations to the suspension geometry. When you change the suspension geometry (change the spring mount points, pivot points for the conrol arms or links, that kind of thing) you are put into the "Modified" category, where darn near ANYTHING goes (relative to other classes). Modified is where your fully dedicated track cars will run, as in tube frame formula cars, Lotus 7 replicas, and other really fun stuff.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:27 AM
Well, if I'd read the question in your last post, I would have answered it.

As far as I know, the "Touring" (STS, STX, STU) classes in Solo 2 still require "street" tires, by definition any tire with treadwear greater than 140 (double check me against the rules though to be sure).

Stock classes aren't even "Required" to have street tires, but if you do use them, you get a handicap. This year changed, it used to be anything over treadwear 200 got you a handicap, but this year that ONLY applies in the stock classes (and I think the number was lowered to 140). So if you're not in a stock class or touring class, there is really no benefit at all to run street tires, aside from cost.

That being said, I'm currently using Ziex 512s in 225/50/15 since I was poor when I bought racing tires, and they seem alright. Not the best for Street Mod, but better than worn out Azenis st215s.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:44 PM
Ah crap. Thanks man.

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:07 AM
Ziex 512's are very poor for autocross, but I understand the financial thing, been there done that....

RT615's would be awesome or a set of R-compounds(BEST). I keep my race tires on my stock wheels.

You truly don't know the true meaning of addiction till you've done an autox run with R-compounds its literally UNREAL.

-Chris

Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:15 PM
IamRascal wrote:Ziex 512's are very poor for autocross, but I understand the financial thing, been there done that....

RT615's would be awesome or a set of R-compounds(BEST). I keep my race tires on my stock wheels.

You truly don't know the true meaning of addiction till you've done an autox run with R-compounds its literally UNREAL.

Kumho V710 > Falken Ziex 512

I don't think I could ever go back to street tires now!

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Friday, April 28, 2006 8:37 AM
If you are under serious financial constraint, consider buying some tires used. I've done that twice now with good results. First was a set of Azenis and then I got a set of Hoosiers

I use the 512s for daily driving and they are good tires, but I sure wouldn't want to autocross on them if I had a choice.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search