Disappointed... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Disappointed...
Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:32 AM
Well, I took the car out to the track last night and it sucked. I just bought the GM charger for the 2.4, had it installed last week, and it went smoothly. Charger is seeing 5-6 lb's boost on the stock pulley, and it pulls like no other. But out at the track, it was pretty horrible. Keep in mind I have the 4 speed automatic.

My best run of the night.... Launched at 1500 RPM's and pretty much spun the tires.

R/T = .397
60' = 2.484
330' = 6.712
1/8 = 10.232
MPH = 70.66
1/4 = 15.902
MPH = 85.51

Before I got the charger

R/T = 1.078
60' = 2.479
330' = 7.051
1/8 = 10.829
MPH = 65.700
1/4 = 16.821
MPH = 81.150

Could it be my launch that's killing me? or the automatic's gearing? 3rd gear seems to be the slowest to me. Thanks for your help guys.

Re: Disappointed...
Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:59 AM
While I've never been to the track, I'm pretty sure your 60' times are garbage. Even if they weren't however, you're pulling the same 60' before and after the charger, so I'm fairly certain you need to work on your launches quite a bit.

Also, about 3rd gear being the slowest... Well, it's the last gear you're hitting before the end of the track right? It also happens to have a smaller ratio than first and second gears
Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:00 PM
^ That was me. That's what happens when you use the wifeys laptop

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:08 PM
you're dissapointed for shaving almost a second?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:26 PM
I think thats the slowest i've ever seen a s/c 2.4 run. I'm very surprised with those number, I've seen a completely stock 2.4 auto run the 1/4 in 15.7.

There is most definitely something wrong with that picture, you should be seeing low 15s. I was able to run 15.3 with my body kit and 19s and all the other weight adding junk.

Work on the '60s and get some drag radials, that will help. What other supporting mods do you have? Get a CAI, Larger TB, Alky Injection, Smaller Pulley, at least 2.25 header back exhaust and you should be able to run high to mid 14s. Your trap speed surprises me as well, you should be good for 90+ mph easily with the blower.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:32 PM
Third gear is where the auto falls on it's face.

Being driven hard only makes the famous heatsoak the M45 is known for worse, making it nothing more than a belt driven intake manifold.

It took alcohol injection to get my 5 speed into the 14's (stock pulley).

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:57 PM
I would be disappointed too. Something doesn't seem right though because your trap speeds are really low. Mine was 88 mph on a stock motor.

Definitely need to get your 60' times down. They should be in the 2.2 range. Only more practice at the track will help. Did you mess around with tire pressure at all?

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:03 PM
ihavenolife000 wrote:I would be disappointed too. Something doesn't seem right though because your trap speeds are really low. Mine was 88 mph on a stock motor.

Definitely need to get your 60' times down. They should be in the 2.2 range. Only more practice at the track will help. Did you mess around with tire pressure at all?

thats what i was thinking. you only gained 4 mph after adding boost. that seems pretty weak.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Saturday, March 29, 2008 4:49 PM
Right now, I only have a 2.5" cat back exhaust, and a modified intake to fit the SC. I swear the car feels so much faster from a roll... Maybe I will invest in alky injection next to help cool the blower. i'm going to practice my launches though, see what works best.

What's crazy though is there were 2 other Z24's out there that night. Both happened to be 2000's with the auto tranny. One with no mods ran a 17.6 and the other with an intake ran a 17.2. There was 1 Eco cavy with a full exhaust, header, and intake running 16.7. Maybe it was just a bad night? I know one of my buddies ran a 14.00 flat in his Vortech supercharged Mustang. His best ever was 12.6.

i know the car should be faster. I've seen everybody else's #'s even with no mods at all

btw, where's a good place to find some dr's? I'm looking at possibly 15's.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:42 PM
It pulls like no other?

Do you have a lot of audio equipment or weight in the car. If you get the launch down it will help quite a bit but still seems very slow for a 2.4 s/c car, even an auto. You only gained 4mph in traps with the s/c which also seems odd. I was able to pull off a 15.6@88 nearly stock with just an intake and engine mount. I'm not sure what the elevation there is but based on the other cars you mentioned and your buddy with the mustang. Maybe something wasn't right with the track timing/lights that evening...

Hope you get it figured out...

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:20 PM
i feel your pain. i have an 04 sunfire with an auto and it pulls any decent times at the track but yet it runs much different then the track times on the street. and yes 3rd gear is bad, mine falls on its face from about 70-80 (bottom of 3rd basically) but once it gets back into the higher rpms it goes better again, through to the governor.
just keep at it like they said the alky injection should help some and just keep working on your launches

The one, the only, ME.
2465 lbs without me
141 hp @ 6300 (ran out of rpms)
123 ft lbs @ 5200
running lean on stock ECU
megasquirt here i come

Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:54 PM
try some suspension mods. using drag radials also helps. i mean who doesnt want traction??

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:01 PM
he's not ready for drag radials yet, get some more runs, and bump your rpm a little higher maybe 2000rpm, you might spin, but you'll also keep in your power band off the launch a little better. Spinning isn't ALWAYS destructive to your times, you might be bogging yourself a bit...try different tracks too if you have the option

Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:18 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:you're dissapointed for shaving almost a second?

I have to agree with that guy.

I went from a 16.1 (didnt know how to drive) to a 15.3 (still didnt know how to drive). After I had some more time with the car i got it down to a 14.8. I have a manual, while you have an auto. I would not be dissapointed by dropping a second off of my time.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:49 AM
next time try some altitude

sig not found
Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:14 AM
that weird on 8th mile i can run 10.6 with my bone stock cav..you r blower should be quicker.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:30 AM
the 60' times arent horrible but definitly need ALOT of work, I was able to pull a low 15 back in the day when my eco had ONLY intake/ catback

My 60 was 2.2 on the OE goodyear conquests.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:29 AM
The answer is pretty obvious to me.

He was running 1.7 seconds faster than another 2000 Z24 auto that was stock, that sounds about exactly right to me. It sounds like the slow ET's are a result of the track and conditons.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:39 AM
Track and conditions are extremely important, in the time of 2 weeks the weather here went form like 60's to 80's and my times went from 15.9 to 16.4 if you make any improvement as you show you are making more just conditions are limiting you. Try a "Midnight" madness like my track has or go on a cooler day. Also make sure you have the trac control off when you go for your blast down the track, I made that mistake too there 1st couple of runs, you can definately tell a differnece. Best of luck.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:38 AM
Track was 45 degrees out Friday night. Nice and cold.

Thanks for the advice guys! I pretty much just need to work on launching, and whatnot.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:35 PM
Sparky15_00 (Corsica Dude) wrote:Track was 45 degrees out Friday night. Nice and cold.

Thanks for the advice guys! I pretty much just need to work on launching, and whatnot.

I really don't think Time of Day or Temperature are going to make any difference if the track is above 2000' as a google of the city listed in your registry would indicate.

sig not found

Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:58 PM
that was my prob to since i have an auto, the launch is harder but i hit gas on the second yellow to green and get good jumps. the best i had was .605 reaction but on average it is about .750-.800.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:56 PM
r/t doesn't have a damn thing to do with e/t though, my guess is altitude as well

Monday, March 31, 2008 6:39 PM
So uhh... saw a video my friend posted cuz he was recording us @ the track, and yeah, my front tires were spinning like a mofo. time to learn to launch!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 9:38 AM
Sparky15_00 (Corsica Dude) wrote:So uhh... saw a video my friend posted cuz he was recording us @ the track, and yeah, my front tires were spinning like a mofo. time to learn to launch!

Elsa Bermudez wrote:I'm pretty sure your 60' times are garbage. Even if they weren't however, you're pulling the same 60' before and after the charger, so I'm fairly certain you need to work on your launches quite a bit.

Who called it?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search