Power steering cooler for auto-x'ers? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power steering cooler for auto-x'ers?
Monday, July 15, 2013 9:39 AM
So I auto crossed my cav for the first time yesterday. Fun stuff. Its like sliding around in a 400hp go-cart. I only did 4 runs (39sec each on this course) with about a 5 min cool down in between each. At the end, I noticed my power steering fluid had leaked a little even though the lid was on tight. Opened it up and it was slightly pressurized and steam was coming off it. I didn't realized how fast this stuff heated up. Anyone use a power steering cooler? Which line did you tap and what style cooler are you using? Tranny cooler style, or more of a radiator style like an oil cooler?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Power steering cooler for auto-x'ers?
Monday, July 15, 2013 5:49 PM
I think ANY PS cooler would do some good, but the radiator style might work a bit better. The first thing would be to flush it totally and use a good a fluid as you can find, and if you want, add the cooler at the same time I guess. I think PS is mildly hygroscopic, so what probably happened is any moisture in your current fluid boiled over more than anything else.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Monday, July 15, 2013 6:28 PM
Maybe you can use ones from a 2nd gen. They have hard lines that run under the passenger side rocker. It's about 2feet long and runs in a loop to use cold air under the car to cool it. I have never heard of anyone needing one on a jbody.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:12 AM
I'll change the fluid out first. Honestly, I've never really given p/s fluid any thought before. Mine is prob pretty damn old, so if it is hygroscopic, than I'm sure it has a decent amount of moisture in it. So noone here has needed to add a cooler?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:24 AM
Matt, where did auto cross at?

Also, did you fix the trans?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:30 AM
Mike - Lakeland. No, tranny is still the same. Doesn't like to shift on its own very fast at all under power. This was fine for the most part though because I'm pretty much always in 2nd except for the very first few seconds. I manually shifted into second and left it there. Car slides like a mofo though, but I was pushing it real hard. I need some better tires, stiffer springs, and most of all more experience. I was taking all turns as fast as I could which prob actually slowed me down from sliding so much. Not sure if I'll continue to auto-x the cav. I want to see how much (if any) more fun the vette would be to auto-x. If I stick with the cav for auto-x, then I'll make some changes to it. Mainly suspension and tires.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:14 AM
Text me next time. Maybe I'll bring the Camaro up there.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:24 AM
Will do, but I think you need to preregister. Not sure. It was put on by a corvette club I'm not part of. My friend is in it and registered me, I just met him there late. There were a few other cars though, so I'll let you know any details I find out.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:40 PM
Definitely get some new fluid in there. That may resolve your issues all together.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, August 05, 2013 1:28 PM
did you autocross an automatic?
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:57 AM
jasmin wrote:did you autocross an automatic?

Yeah.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:23 AM
Was talking to a guy with a grand am and a 2.4 with an auto. He used a small transmission cooler for his Power Steering cooler.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:57 AM
Hmm, good to know. I swapped out my fluid. Old stuff looked pretty bad. Haven't tracked the car since though. Gotta pull off and reweld my downpipe now. Damn thing cracked.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:53 AM
I lowered my PS system temps by getting rid of it altogether. Manual rack FTW.

If you end up adding one, a bar and plate is more efficient for heavier fluids than a tube and fin.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:22 PM
Where did you find a Manuel rack??
Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:18 PM
You can make yours yourself. There is a write up on here with pictures.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search