Dirt Racing Cavalier tire question's - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dirt Racing Cavalier tire question's
Monday, April 06, 2009 1:06 AM
So I see people are having alot of problems in the rear with bearings, we never have. This will be our 4th year running at a small 3/8 high banked dirt track. We have never had issues with wheels until last year. We have a 1992 2.2 3spd auto that I run in 1 cause I cant find small enough tires to run 2nd. This car hits the rev limiter if we run smaller than 205 tires. But the wheels break when running these size, as in wheel and tire fly of car breaking studs and leaving lugnuts on others. I have tried a 165/60/14 in 2nd and it dosen't come close to running a 195/75/14 in 1st. Anyone else out there have any idea's ? Car has 206,xxx miles but won't die even though it hits the rev limiter constantly.
My cousin is gonna run this car (the 92) and I'm gonna run our 1996 2.2 3 spd auto until I get my Neon done. My Dad is running a 1995 2.3 Dohc auto Grand Am, what tires do you think we should run on this car ?

Re: Dirt Racing Cavalier tire question's
Monday, April 06, 2009 5:57 AM
we run asphalt when ours break it snaps the bearing shaft in half not any studs. the drum studs and bearing face are still hooked to the wheel when mine breaks. we run race tires with enormous side load so we just put some camber in the rr to compensate
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:22 AM
i broke all 5 RF studs off the car one night last year coming out of the corner. They were 140K stock studs though. I replaced them with the extended heavy duty studs from napa, and went with 1" lugnuts too. I ran a 200 lapper the next week and had no problems then. Are your front wheels cambered?

We run 185/70/14's on my car a 94 Cavalier 2.2 5 speed in 3rd gear. Not sure what id run on a auto.

1994 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed - Scrapped.
1994 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Auto - Enduro
1995 Cavalier 2.2 Auto - Figure 8
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:17 AM
we don't run any camber as I don't really want to egg shape the bolt holes, I don't like half assing stuff. I wish we could use a camber kit like some other cars. I will definitely be buying the camber kit for my neon.
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:43 AM
we had a machine shop grind down the center of our bolt the holes are not egged on ours... stock replacement struts have the bottom hole ovaled out already
Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:57 AM
I agree, on the monroes or other replacements have the stock lower hole already ovaled.

I tried running those offset camber bolts for a while too, even with them red locktited and torqued to spec, they still would loosen up on me after a heat race. I solved the problem by running smaller grade 8 bolts in the strut to knuckle holes to gain more camber and then i tack welded them to the struts. Kind of a pain in the ass to adjust, but ive never had them loosen up.

1994 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed - Scrapped.
1994 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Auto - Enduro
1995 Cavalier 2.2 Auto - Figure 8
Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:38 PM
ill get a picture of the bolts we had custom made
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search