SHOULD I FIX IT? - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SHOULD I FIX IT?
Saturday, May 05, 2012 5:33 PM
A couple years ago I gave my granddaughter a red 1986 Cavalier RS convertible. It was in pretty good shape, nice body, new top, and a sound V-6 motor. The torque converter was disconnected so it didn't get great gas mileage. But now it has a cracked block. The garage said she could buy a better car for what it would take to do an engine swap.

Does anybody have any idea what I should do? I could get it back from her for the cost of a tow and what ever the garage charges for their diagnostics. Unfortunately, I'm to old to pull the engine and replace it. If I had a shop do it the torque converter should be fixed at the same time so it would be more expensive than an engine swap. Does anybody know what it would cost to replace a V-6 and trans axle? Shop rates in Northern California are about $75 per hour.

Any ides appreciated.

Grant Johnston, Chico, CA

Re: SHOULD I FIX IT?
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 7:18 AM
if you source the parts the only expensive part would really be labor. the 2.8 and trans should be cheap enough. i would post up in the first gen section of the forum, the guys who frequent it usually have lines on parts for good prices.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search