What's it take for a car to be totaled? - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What's it take for a car to be totaled?
Friday, June 29, 2007 5:42 AM
Would a shattered windshield, back window, passenger side window, destroyed hood, oil leaking everywhere, and trans not shifting along with random large dings do it?

2003 Cav Sedan 5-speed, 75,000 miles

Re: What's it take for a car to be totaled?
Friday, June 29, 2007 5:58 AM
yes, possibly, Id think so.

thats like 4k right there in damage, if that amounts close to or more then the vehicle is worth they deem it a total loss

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, June 29, 2007 6:08 AM
umm..that might do it..prolly be better off trying to get them to pay you out ad doin the work urself...if not i want ur charger..lol..
Friday, June 29, 2007 6:20 AM
Hehehe... in Quebec all vehicles are deemed repairable unless they have massive frame damage. We import a lot of American cars with a few scratches on the sides that were deemed "unfixable" It's awesome.

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:05 AM
Air bags going off would do it or atleast, pretty damn close.

dan

Friday, June 29, 2007 8:12 AM
It doesn't take much if you know a crooked body shop that doesn't like insurance companies.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Friday, June 29, 2007 8:38 AM
In the US, it's pretty much the insurance companies that determine whether or not a vehicle is totalled... and the "qualifying factors" for being totaled are as follows:

1. It has absolutely nothing really to do with whether or not the airbags went off... that is a myth.

2. When a car is totaled, it is usually determined by the value of the vehicle compared to how much the vehicle is going to cost to fix.

Let's say insurance company A determines a car to be totaled at 80% of the value of the vehicle. For a $10,000 vehicle, (for example) if the damage meets or exceeds $8,000... the vehicle is totaed.

If you have a vehicle valued at $1,000... $800 worth of damage will total the car under those guidelines. ($800 worth of body work can be racked up really quick... doesn't take much)

Theoretically, insurance company B may say a vehicle is totaled at 70% of the value of the car... etc... etc...

The only time really the airbag myth comes into play is if the cost of just replacing the airbag and windshield meets those percentage requirements of the vehicle value compared to the cost of repairing.

If the airbag myth was true I'd be screwed... my car has 9 air bags.

So Admiral... I'm guessing the damage to the vehicle you're referring to was due to an accident? If the accident is why your car is leaking oil and the trans is not working right... I'd say it's totaled... but that's hard to say without actually seeing pictures of the amount of the damage.

Friday, June 29, 2007 8:50 AM
yea its pretty much a total...........just make sure they let you remove your aftermarket parts...........like turbo and charge pipes.

but if the the damge meets or exceeds the value of the car its a total.

our body shop just totaled an 2003 cavalier because of slight flood damage.......had to replace airbag sdm and carpet and seats.

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Friday, June 29, 2007 3:04 PM
yeah its between 70-80% damage of the cars value

the whole airbag thing.... when i crashed my 98 z24. both bags came out and cracked the windshield. to replace both bags, sensors, etc was about 2k. so yeah the bags add alot to the cost of damage really quick.

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

12.5@116 2.0 60ft
Friday, June 29, 2007 3:59 PM
What fallen angel and john H said

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:18 PM
dubduce18s wrote:Air bags going off would do it or atleast, pretty damn close.

dan

not even close acutally. my airbags went off, new front bumper, new front collision bracket new windsheild and i got it all for $900

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:14 PM
Admiral Jedi wrote:Would a shattered windshield, back window, passenger side window, destroyed hood, oil leaking everywhere, and trans not shifting along with random large dings do it?

2003 Cav Sedan 5-speed, 75,000 miles
Not sure but I doubt it...

roll it over, and yeah.. that'll do it.

Friday, June 29, 2007 10:36 PM
TheGreenMachine(isnt so green) wrote:
dubduce18s wrote:Air bags going off would do it or atleast, pretty damn close.

dan

not even close acutally. my airbags went off, new front bumper, new front collision bracket new windsheild and i got it all for $900

yea but thats not new parts from a dealer, im assuming there from a wrecker.

as for you car being totaled thats a tough one, its easy to fix, but the insurance company might say otherwise.
i see so many cars that are easy fixes totaled because the insurance company didn't want to fix it. sometimes you can tell them you don't want the car back and they will write it off.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Monday, July 02, 2007 12:51 PM
did someone get pissed cause they got smoked by a cav sedan ?

sounds like vandal damage

Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:19 AM
If the car is paid for, let them total it, take the settlement, and see if you can do some of the work yourself. Then get a salvage title and drive away happy.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:25 AM
[quote=97trd(???™)]did someone get pissed cause they got smoked by a cav sedan ?

sounds like vandal damage

LOL!

Greg Z wrote:
If the car is paid for, let them total it, take the settlement, and see if you can do some of the work yourself. Then get a salvage title and drive away happy.

I'm in the market for a new 03-05 J-body...

Sunday, July 08, 2007 1:24 PM
Even better.

Monday, July 09, 2007 1:19 PM
ive got a decent 97(84k on car 14k on motor) and 00(116k) sedans for sale

the 00 is even silver , LOL

the 97 is (as darkstars puts it) ghey tan

both are loaded 2.4 LS models , the 00 is stock with a catback , and the 97 has rk ram air hood , borla catback

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search