Whalesac's New Toy / DD - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whalesac's New Toy / DD
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:58 AM
The Cavalier is showing its age, so I figured it's time for something more reliable.......and fun.

2011 Mazda MX5 Grand Touring PRHT (Power Retractable Hard Top)
- Sport Suspension package
- Premium package

I have no signiture

Re: Whalesac's New Toy / DD
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:07 AM
Badass, I never know they had retractable hard tops on them....is that new for the year?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:18 AM
looks like fun!! Very nice purchase!
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:29 AM
I like that a lot. So much so it is on my short list for the next car for me.
5, 6 manual or auto? Congrats too

JUCNBST wrote:Badass, I never know they had retractable hard tops on them....is that new for the year?

I (think) it has been out since m/y 2007.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:28 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:I like that a lot. So much so it is on my short list for the next car for me.
5, 6 manual or auto? Congrats too

6-speed manual

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
JUCNBST wrote:Badass, I never know they had retractable hard tops on them....is that new for the year?

I (think) it has been out since m/y 2007.

correct

I have no signiture
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:35 PM
nice car man, congrats!

how heavy are they with the PRHT option?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:38 PM
Wow they have had that top as an option all these years and this is the first im seeing it.

Nice indeed.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:05 PM
Looking good Brian! Now all we need is a small dog and some scarfs

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:48 PM
I think the order miata looks better, newer ones look weird to me.

congrats on the new buy.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:07 PM
I don't follow mita's all that closely I'm just supprised i haven't seen one givin all the cars i see being a carwash mechanic........

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:12 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:nice car man, congrats!

how heavy are they with the PRHT option?

2588 lbs -The power hard top weighs 70lbs more than the manual soft top. The hard top is made from aluminum, so most of the weight is in the motors.

Addicted to meth wrote:I think the order miata looks better, newer ones look weird to me.

congrats on the new buy.

I was the same way, but it's grown on me a bit. I've never sat in an NB or NA, but from what I've read, there's more room in the NC (mine), and being 6' 3", every little bit helps...plus I really didn't want a soft top.
iGTP wrote:Looking good Brian! Now all we need is a small dog and some scarfs

I have no signiture

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:55 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:I like that a lot. So much so it is on my short list for the next car for me.

I forgot to mention. If you do, a manual with suspension upgrade is the only way to get the LSD from the factory (obviously you can get an aftermarket one). There's no option for an LSD with an auto.

...and thank you all for the congrats.

I have no signiture
Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:11 AM
Its HALL GOOD! LOL! Thats hilarious!

Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:40 AM
iGTP wrote:Its HALL GOOD! LOL! Thats hilarious!

Hall Imports in Brookfield, Wisconsin. Right next to the Mazda Showroom was their Lexus dealership. They had a red LFA roped off outside. I came twice.

I have no signiture
Friday, October 14, 2011 12:13 AM
Chyea! Ur username is Whalesac!

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:26 AM
Im a jealous guy now.

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:52 PM
Yep... you sir got one hell of a car then. Thanks for the tid-bits on getting the LSD. For sure it would be a manual too, especially on a car like that.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:34 PM
The NA is my favorite. The NC is really growing on me a lot. Check out Miata.net and clubroadster.net. The NC looks great with am aggressive wheel and a drop.

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:07 PM
Wider rims/tires and Ohlins are the plans for the future. The car hugs the road great in stock form, though (night and day difference over the Cavalier),

So, I'll probably be doing a Duratec Ranger 2.3L bottom end + turbo before that even happens.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:17 AM
My NA is jealous. Haha. I love it and that top is real nice.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:27 AM
Whalesac wrote:Wider rims/tires and Ohlins are the plans for the future. The car hugs the road great in stock form, though (night and day difference over the Cavalier),

So, I'll probably be doing a Duratec Ranger 2.3L bottom end + turbo before that even happens.

I believe it, they're fun no matter what. I had a 94 with a GT30 on it and it was so much fun, lol.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:29 PM
I gave the MX5 some STDs

Even after setting the rear shocks 2" lower than the stockers, it didn't drop much (stock springs are really soft). The rear ride height is still about 1.5" higher than the fronts. I will correct that tonight.

I have no signiture
Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:47 PM
Looks good man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:40 PM
Well, after doing some suspension tuning, this is what I discovered...

Whalesac wrote:I finally got around to installing the STDs. FWIW, here's the deal with these coilovers (at least the ones 2006GT gave me)...

1) I would certainly agree there are some questionable design ideas (like shortening the rear top hat mounts considerably). However, I'm not sure why he said the build quality was poor, because that's simply not true.

2) The 6kG fronts are superb at a 1.5-2" drop and dampening turned to full soft. I ran out of time the first night and took a quick test drive with only the front coilovers and the stock NC2 Sport rears. Even with the rake, the ride comfort and handling were both greatly improved over stock.

3) Either the rear shocks are just a flawed design or there is some serious issue with them. I replaced the 6kG springs STD gave 2006GT with 4kG springs from Swift. They were preloaded properly, and no matter what dampening you adjust to (full soft or full hard), the rebound is unbearable. It honestly feels like the dampening is only affecting compression. With the dampening turned up, when going over a speed bump and landing on the other side, the compression feels very well controlled, but it feels like there is very little (if any) dampening on the rebound...and just driving down the street it feels the same way.

I'm a little disappointed. After installing the fronts I was anticipating giving these a really good review, but I can't.

So yes... as a package, the coilovers suck. Individually, though, the fronts are excellent and the rears are terrible.

I have no signiture
Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:19 PM
I seem to be reading a lot of negative reviews about STD coilovers it seems. And a lot of it sounds like "They designed things different, got it wrong, and I would rather have gone with a tried and true brand that knows what they're doing and sticks to traditional proven designs" is the general consensus. Such a shame Nice car btw, I'm a big Miata fan. At 6'3", you picked the right one though for sure. I'm 5'11" with most my height in my upper body and with the seat all the way back, and tilted back just the hair it would let me, my short ass legs were perfectly comfortable/positioned, and my head was only an inch or 2 from the top. Honestly don't see you being comfortable in one at your height.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search