Interest for a New Tuning with HPT Guide Sticky - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Interest for a New Tuning with HPT Guide Sticky
Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:06 PM
Ok... Seeing how the old Sticky that Ron (Shifted) made is kind of outdated with mismatched information, I am taking it upon myself to make a new guide. This guide will consist of factual information that Ron (Shifted) previously posted, along with new and updated information that myself and other experienced tuners on here can contribute. I plan on making some of it "how to" with some pictures for reference, and other information on how and why certain tables work. I do not plan to get "too technical" with all of it, but I plan on wording it so that any "novice" tuner can understand. This is going to take me a little bit to complete as I am really busy lately, but I think its time that something is done. As stated before, this will all be fact bases information that has been tested in the field by professionals. After this Sticky is made, I really think that Shifted's old thread should be unsticked so the new correct information is right at the top and is not confused with the old outdated information.

Here is what I ask of you. If you have information you would like to contribute, please PM me letting me know what that information is. If I feel is something worth while, I will have you email me the info. I will then read through it and make sure its facutal information that will be useful to others. If your information is used, I will make sure you are mentioned.

Thoughts and comments are welcomed. Please keep this drama free (I know its the org, but seriously)....

Do I have any takers?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Re: Interest for a New Tuning with HPT Guide Sticky
Friday, May 21, 2010 12:13 AM
You got my vote.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:11 AM
Ryan as we talked about I thihk this is a good idea and will help in any way I can.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:03 AM
Do it.

If the '95 pcm's have been fully figured out, Updated info on that would be awesome too if you have it.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:05 AM
Too Whiney wrote:Ryan as we talked about I thihk this is a good idea and will help in any way I can.
Same here.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:10 AM
I think this would be great. I'm getting ready to tune my car and have basic ideas down but the more information I can read and get the better! I'm sure there are many others too intimidated to try and maybe this could help.

Friday, May 21, 2010 7:40 AM
Great Idea

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, May 21, 2010 8:12 AM
I think this is an awsome idea...I got an eco I need to tune shortly and the current sticky is hard to read and seems very outdated..

+1 for me!!
Friday, May 21, 2010 9:26 AM
Very interested.
Friday, May 21, 2010 9:33 AM
Ryan I have much respect for you . You have my vote man. I have a lot to contribute regarding tuning of the 4t40e . I will email you. Thanks.
Friday, May 21, 2010 9:40 AM
suggestions:
open/closed loop
proper VE setup
commanded AFR values and actual
wideband setup without HPTpro (EGR, A/C pressure inputs) and how to log
1 bar vs. 2 bar vs. etc...
explaining what tables alter what
links to HPT's site/forums/faqs for more in depth explanations

beginner proofing is key

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:44 AM
Sweet I don't know diddly about tuning but I like this.

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:13 AM
This would be awsome! Im going to need some tuning info for HPT in the near future

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Friday, May 21, 2010 10:16 AM
i think this is a great idea, im glad someone with proper knowledge is stepping forward to update. j's as a community need more information distributed with fact to help us grow and properly do things. good stuff

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:49 AM
This is a great idea!!!

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:56 AM
Yes! this would bevery helpful. Especially and updated writeup of VE tuning and the histograms.

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:56 AM
Quote:

suggestions:
open/closed loop-agree
proper VE setup-not sure what is meant by this
commanded AFR values and actual
wideband setup without HPTpro-disagree, needs to be simple (EGR, A/C pressure inputs) and how to log
1 bar vs. 2 bar vs. etc...
explaining what tables alter what
links to HPT's site/forums/faqs for more in depth explanations

I think this needs to be a basic how to, not major indepth. More or less what the orginal is without having to read through all the old stuff to get it.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:16 PM
Ryan - I sent you this PM a while back - can you consider some of these thoughts and/or corrections to the OP sticky from Ron.

How about this as a follow up post - let me know what you think.
ADDING ONE COMMENT OR CORRECTION TO THIS STICKY
If we are turbocharged or supercharged, we are increasing the VE, thus we must increase the VE tables so the ECM can add fuel to match the increased mass flow.
THE OP:***WARNING***
THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR CAR. If you are running untuned and without added fuel, especially in boosted applications, you can go lean and blow up your motor. If you fear this, you need to richen up your car before you start. Simply reduce (CORRECT to "Increase") the VE percentage in each of the cells until you are running pig rich. Then go ahead with tuning.
New Post
I'm adding VE % starting with at least the pressure ratio increase or more safely the caculated density ratio increase over stock tables as an approximation in Low RPM Single, Double Fire, and High RPM tables.
If I'm running 5psi boost, that's about 1.34 pressure ratio (so multiply 1.34 by current VE as a start) or if intercooled add an additional 15~20% (1.34 * 1.20 = 1.61). Approximate density change being 1.61 is the number by which I multiply my stock histograms in High RPM, Low RPM single and double fire.
Caveat:
Keep idle the same, and if possible drive ahead of time in closed loop so you know your TPS and RPM of boost onset and use stock VE values at the low throttle and low rpm positions so its not too rich off boost.
Other Caveats: temp well below 50F may cause you to be a little more lean, all this assumes you followed the OP instructions with exception of the correction above mentioned.
Friday, May 21, 2010 1:56 PM
That's a great idea Ryan. It's been needed for a while now.

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:05 PM
this should compliment dave's new FAQ/HOW TO system he's been talking about.. (this system will replace all stickys)

i support this idea =)

Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:40 AM
Shifted isnt bad for VE tuning but it does leave out the part about disabling DCFO

ALso theres nothing in relation to things like spark advance which is huge

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:50 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Shifted isnt bad for VE tuning but it does leave out the part about disabling DCFO

ALso theres nothing in relation to things like spark advance which is huge
Agreed for the most part. The VE Tuning FAQ is kind of misleading though... Too much confusion about Paste Special Add or Multiply... As for the timing, not sure what I will incorporate there. I think maybe writing something about the effects of timing should be mentioned, but as you know, timing can make or break an engine. Most timing adjustments should be done on a dyno for proven results, although an experienced tuner could make good results on the street too.

If you have an idea or any more input, Matt, let me know!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:12 PM
I am so infavor of this the only thing stopping me from putting a turbo on my car is lack of knowledge on tuneing it via hptuners. plz help the stupid like me
Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:03 PM
This would be awesome....and eventually I could drive down by you to get a proper tune!

Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:42 PM
Do it but you might want to bounce all the info off the all knowing professional 3 college degree holding David Jackman before posting it hahahahhaa.

Sorry I I had to but I say do it even though i don't own a J I would like to see more good info posted to help the future generations out.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search