Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:23 PM
In theory I think it should work, but I guess we will find out.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:56 PM
If the VIN does not take in the ECU, you can always change the VIN tag on the windshield.

J/K
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:36 PM
I boost, therefore I am wrote:Actually, I didn't know the answer to the reluctor wheel question, but it appears you folks do, so cool. Now I do too, thanks!
Actually no i'm not sure about OBD1 jbodies. but for sure on OBD2

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:40 PM
the 95 obd1 cavys with the 2.3s share that reluctor pattern.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:00 PM
Suscribed!

Ryan and I were discussing this a while back, and I'm definitely curious to see the final working results of this.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 5:37 AM
Wagonwes wrote:If the VIN does not take in the ECU, you can always change the VIN tag on the windshield.

Thinking that crosses some legal lines...that's the VIN the car is registered under, and tampering with that tag (to the best of my knowledge) is a crime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:55 AM

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 7:07 AM
this discussion is about running the eco on an ohv ecu OR an ld9 ecu correct? there is just so much ohv 2200 talk im getting confused. this isnt strictly using the ohv computer with the ld9 reflash right? there isnt a difference is there?

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 7:56 AM
The J/K stands for just kidding, seeing as it was a joke. Obviously not to be taken seriously.
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 7:56 AM
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:this discussion is about running the eco on an ohv ecu OR an ld9 ecu correct? there is just so much ohv 2200 talk im getting confused. this isnt strictly using the ohv computer with the ld9 reflash right? there isnt a difference is there?

I was under the impression the the ohv and the ld9 pcm's are the L4Big, ie the same pcm just with different programming. Its too bad that gm switched to the p11 pcm for the ecotec.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:29 AM
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:this discussion is about running the eco on an ohv ecu OR an ld9 ecu correct? there is just so much ohv 2200 talk im getting confused. this isnt strictly using the ohv computer with the ld9 reflash right? there isnt a difference is there?

Yes ,,, Just for the ones that are confused about what John and Myself are doing ..
My 2001 came with the 2200 in it ,John and myself swapped in the 2.2 Eco stock motor and boosted it ( running 16psi ).
But John has had somr trouble with tuning this POS .. It will be fine and then bam back to running bad ..
So at this time I'm pulling out the Eco wiring harness and will be putting the 2200 harness back in and hook it up to the Eco .
This should help out John with tuning . I hope to have the wiring done before John comes back out to tune ..

Hope to have some updates this weekend .

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:56 AM
Wagonwes wrote:The J/K stands for just kidding, seeing as it was a joke. Obviously not to be taken seriously.

Ah. Missed the J/K, even in my quoted message, lol. Fixed now. Had I looked at the message after I posted it, I prolly would have figured it out much sooner!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:08 AM
So what youre saying is that in theory I could take an Eco and put it in my 99 2200 car if we could change the tables around?

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:10 PM

Sorry I have been saying 2200 because we have a 2200 harness and ECU laying around. Yes this can be foir a LD9 ECU or 2200 ECU.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:24 PM
So in the end this car will have a 2200SFI harness, and LD9 computer, and an Eco motor??

If I'm wrong. Still here to sub for results.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:41 PM
ChevyBoi89 wrote:So in the end this car will have a 2200SFI harness, and LD9 computer, and an Eco motor??

If I'm wrong. Still here to sub for results.

2200 ECU using a LD9 reflash and a Ecotec.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:24 PM
I boost, therefore I am wrote:Do you know if the crank triggerwheel on the Ecotec is compatible with the LD9 PCM's ignition profile?

Even if it's not, (which I belive maybe the newer Ecotec 2.2's like the Cobalt has have the new trigger wheel) you could just do what the guys with the V6 swaps do when they wanna run a 3500 with a 3400, or 3.1 computer and use the TCE External trigger.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, October 06, 2010 5:25 PM
I have been arguing for years that someone should try this. Good luck John.

I'm pretty sure all GM 6+1 are the same, with the exception of possibly the sync pulse. A pulse appears at TDC for cylinder #1, you then have to find out how many degrees After TDC the sync pulse appears.
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_DIS.htm

I have no signiture
Thursday, October 07, 2010 6:56 AM
Well hopefully today we will see if the eco will start on a 2200 ecu and program.

FU Tuning

Friday, October 08, 2010 5:43 PM
well?

Friday, October 08, 2010 5:57 PM
EvoFire wrote:well?

Friday, October 08, 2010 6:04 PM
We tried to start the car lastnight. We got it to poop a few times like timing was off. Plugs were soaked with fuel (650cc injectors). I now have a modified 2200 file ready and we will try again Sunday.

FU Tuning

Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:05 AM
Has anyone tried to just flash the Eco computer with the 2.4 file? Or does it not work like that?
Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:15 AM
Philly D wrote:Has anyone tried to just flash the Eco computer with the 2.4 file? Or does it not work like that?
Will not work....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:50 AM
Yup it won't work. The ecotec runs on the p11 pcm while the ld9/ohv run on the L4BIG pcm.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Update
Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:46 PM
Update:

GOt the car to run on the 2200 ECU and file, but crappy.

Got the car to run on the 2200 ECU with a LD9 GM reflash. It does read boost. Still crappy and Robert has some video's of it running, but it is going to require some manual tuning.

Meaning sitting down going through everything timing and fuel and play with it til we get it running correctly. We have to wire in the wideband off the battery so we can see whats going on during cranking and first start up. Currently can't see because wideband is not warmed up yet.

We are still using the 2200 coils, but will likely wire in the Eco coils because of issues we are having with grounding and the 2200 coils.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search