Logging boost - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Logging boost
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:24 PM
Trying to figure out how to log boost via my HPT pro...

I have a autometer gauges which conveniently uses a older style GM 3 bar map sensor...

I don't have the first clue on how to get this party started...

I am HPT newb.

Re: Logging boost
Friday, February 22, 2013 12:01 PM
Now, I could be wrong, since I am in no way a competent tuner, lol...but as far as I know, you can't log boost with the eco PCM. The LD9 speed density reflash is the only OS I know that actually reads boost.

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:09 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:Now, I could be wrong, since I am in no way a competent tuner, lol...but as far as I know, you can't log boost with the eco PCM. The LD9 speed density reflash is the only OS I know that actually reads boost.

What you said is correct.

I think the post was asking about logging his auto meter gauge into hpt which can be done.
I would go to HPTuners.com forums and research.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:41 PM
You would need to know if the autometer gauge has a 5V output. If it does, you can connect it to the EIO of your box. There is a wiring diagram in the HPT help file to show you where to connect your 5V signal and the common/ground from the gauge.

If it does not have a 5V output signal, that MAP should output on a 0-5V scale, so you could intercept that signal and run that directly to the EIO in your box. Both methods would require a little setup in HPT which I would differ you to the HPT forum for.

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:47 AM
Sparkey05 wrote:You would need to know if the autometer gauge has a 5V output. If it does, you can connect it to the EIO of your box. There is a wiring diagram in the HPT help file to show you where to connect your 5V signal and the common/ground from the gauge.

If it does not have a 5V output signal, that MAP should output on a 0-5V scale, so you could intercept that signal and run that directly to the EIO in your box. Both methods would require a little setup in HPT which I would differ you to the HPT forum for.

I have confirmed that autometer uses a 3 bar GM map sensor. Which has a 0-5v scale.

I am having issues finding that scale though, and trying to figure out what the voltage scale looks like.

any help would be awesome.

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:26 AM
make a spreadsheet...

Use a vacuum pump to get the lowest reading you can on a mechanical vac gauge... hook that to the map and jumper it with 5v ref, gnd and read output on signal line...

Now go to max pressure the sensor will read (3 bar = 28.7psi, 1 bar is vacuum) hook it up to the sensor, read the output, input that on the other end of the table, select the resolution you want... (how many "steps" you want in the voltage table) and divide the remainder of your max voltage reading and your minimum voltage reading by the number of steps you want...

Save the table cause you'll need it when you set up the input in HPT... although I'm sure they have a default sensor I/O in the software for a 0-5v boost ref.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, February 25, 2013 3:38 PM
I did some digging myself here to find you a solution. I cam across this site which has a bunch of GM MAP sensor data. If we use the Volt to kpa scale on the table listed about half way down, it looks like the numbers you would have to plug into the custom gauge would be (with Linear selected) .0161 below Volts, and 3.6 after the minus. If you wanted, you could select List, and input the scale directly manually. The format of the listing would be Volt, kpa. This could be done with psi too if you wanted, you would just have to convert.

The formula HPT uses for the custom gauge Linear is (Volt/(voltage range/gauge scale range))-gauge minimum

To get to the custom gauge input section, in the Table Display window, Click on an EIO Input, press the Insert key or right click the EIO Input section and select Insert Input, expand User Defined, double click Configure User Defined.

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:00 PM
I will have to try that out...

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:40 AM
(Volt/(voltage range/gauge scale range))-gauge minimum

So its

(volt/(4.98/29.8))-0 psi?

which is (volts/.1671)-0 would read in psi?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:35 AM
Shouldn't it be -14.696psi...or is it because you already removed the vacuum? On my buddies camaro he had to list the full psi amount minus the vacuum.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:26 AM
That looks correct.

The 29.8PSI he has entered into the formula is already less atmospheric. If you were to simulate a boost gauge using your MAP through your ECU, then you would need to set the Function as (MAPSensor.PSI)-14.696. On our cars, you would have to multiply the MapSensor.PSI (Sens30.PSI) by the Bars of your MAP too. Setup through the User Defined in the EIO is a little different than using the built in sensory.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search