HPT VE Tuning - The Easy Way - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPT VE Tuning - The Easy Way
Sunday, September 17, 2006 4:32 PM
This How-To has been a long time coming, not that it took a long time to write, its that we have had this software out for a while now, and not a lot of info on how to properly tune the VE that somebody can understand.

To complete this how-to, you will need:

1. HPT EIO cable (cannot complete this with the standard cable)
2. Wideband set up to log in HPT
3. These histograms
4. Some time

Preparation
There are a number of steps you need to do to prepare for this. These must be done for the tuning to work accurately.

1. Turn off Closed Loop operation
a) To do this, open your current calibration file in the HPT Editor.
b) Go to Engine>Fuel Control>Open & Closed Loop
c) Open the ECT vs Startup ECT table
d) Set all the cells to 255
2. Set the target AFR
a) Go to Engine>Fuel Control>Power Enrich
b) Click on the Base AFR vs ECT
c) Set your desired AFR at each particular ECT.
d) Open the Mult vs RPM and set the multiplier for each RPM to hit the target AFR in that RPM cell
3) Turn off any injector pulsewidth modifications
a) Go to Engine>Fuel Control>General Fuel
b) Click on the IPW Multiplier vs RPM table
c) Set the entire table to 1.0
4) Make sure your injector constant is correct and working as desired
5) Save this file as VETuningCLDisabled.hpt (or whatever you want, just don't overwrite your working tune).
6) Go flash this file on to your car.

Logging

MAKE SURE your laptop is charged up, or that you are going to be doing blackbox logging, that you have the correct setup flashed on the cable. Sucks to go out and grab 40 minutes of data only to realize you forgot to add the wideband PID.

In the VCM Scanner, you need to be logging, at a minimum:
- Engine RPM
- Manifold Vacuum (if VE tuning a true 2 bar setup)
- TPS (if VE tuning a 1 bar or fake 2/3 bar setup)
- Wideband AFR
- Air Fuel Ratio Error (this is one of the important ones)
- Air Fuel Ratio Commanded (Lo Res)

***WARNING***
THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR CAR. If you are running untuned and without added fuel, especially in boosted applications, you can go lean and blow up your motor. If you fear this, you need to richen up your car before you start. Simply reduce the VE percentage in each of the cells until you are running pig rich. Then go ahead with tuning.

Now that you've disabled closed loop and flashed that file, go out and do some logging. Make sure to hit as many RPM/TPS points or RPM/MAP points as possible, and as many times as possible. If you are tuning the High RPM VE table, then cruising really doesn't matter, and neither does decelleration, but do your best to hit what you can. If you are tuning the Low RPM VE table, you want to spend as much time as you can at low throttle cruising situations. This will definately help with your gas mileage, but most of us do the High RPM VE tables first, its your call.

After you've got a good set of data, you're ready to move on to the next step:

Analyzing the Data

Remember those histograms you got way up at the top? Time to break them out.

1. Load up the VCM Scanner with your most recent data log.
2. Click Displays>Histograms.
3. Click on the Open Folder icon on the top left corner of the screen
4. Select the proper histogram to use.
5. Right click inside the histogram, click "Load All Data"

You now have a histogram that shows the AFR error throughout the RPM range, in a table that looks EXACTLY like the VE table that you are tuning. Time for the next step...

Tuning the VE

Now, this is the fun part...

Make sure you have the histogram open, and have the VCM Editor open with your current calibration, and the VE table that you are tuning open.

In the VCM Scanner
1. Select all the cells in the histogram, click in the first cell and drag all the way to the bottom right corner of the table.
2. Right Click, select Copy

In the VCM Editor
1. Select all the cells in the VE table, click in the first cell and drag all the way to the bottom right corner of the table.
2. Right click, Paste Special> Add

And thats it! You may want to repeat this process a number of times to get the VE just right, but its about that simple.

After-thought on VE Smoothing
Having a smooth VE table (no peaks or sudden transisitions), is important to have an even fueling. After you get done VE tuning, make sure to smooth your VE tables one or two times, and smooth out any peaks or valleys that you have. This is important in getting your car running smooth and consistant.

After you are done
When you are done, make sure you turn the closed loop fuel back on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 18, 2006 4:23 PM

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: HPT VE Tuning - The Easy Way
Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:14 PM
Nice write up Ron.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:56 PM
How can I do this? I want a 14.7 afr while low rpm cruising and a 12.1 afr while in PE. but you can only select one commanded afr under Power Enrichment. How do you get an afr error % if there is no commanded afr for low rpm cruise?

This is an excellent write up and it should be a sticky.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 6:04 PM
Commanded AFR under cruise is always 14.7, PE is only in effect when the engine enters PE mode. So basically you do exactly the same, the AFR error will show the error from 14.7 during cruise and idle (if you want to tune the idle ve table).

Sunday, September 17, 2006 6:08 PM
Good to know. Thanks again

Sunday, September 17, 2006 6:16 PM
this is good info to have at the top. STICKY. although they probably wont make it one. people think my drl should be sticky but it isnt. i dont do hp tuners but thanks for helping everyone that does out.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Sunday, September 17, 2006 6:22 PM
1999 Cavalier Z24 wrote:this is good info to have at the top. STICKY. although they probably wont make it one. people think my drl should be sticky but it isnt. i dont do hp tuners but thanks for helping everyone that does out.

Well luckily I am part of "they". I'll make it a sticky if enough show interest.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:35 PM
I'msure I'll be using this info in the near future. A sticky would be great, so I don't have to find it later.

Thanks for the info!

'00 Grand Am 2.4L LD9
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816505
Sunday, September 17, 2006 11:06 PM
Ron, dont be bashful, make the dang thing a sticky. HPT is the new wave of tuning, and everybody will be using this, so make the thing stay at the top. Oh yea, nice write up too.
Monday, September 18, 2006 5:41 AM
sticky for sure... ima be doing this later this week definitely

how can the ecu use the stock o2 sensor command a specific a/f number? I thought it wasnt good as reading specific a/fs other then 14.7?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 18, 2006 5:44 AM

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Monday, September 18, 2006 6:05 AM
It doesn't use the O2 sensor to command the AFR, the commanded AFR is what the ECU is using to calculate the amount of fuel to deliver based on the injector constant and the VE table. It can't read the AFR during PE, which is why the commanded AFR can be so far off.

Monday, September 18, 2006 7:39 AM
Great writeup, sticky material for sure! Is there any way to lean out your cruising AFR to say 15.0? Is there any way to acheive these same results without the WB logging of the EIO cable? (I'm thinking no, but I thought I'd ask, lol)

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Monday, September 18, 2006 8:04 AM
STICKY!!!.. Great writeup... all i need now is a WB

Monday, September 18, 2006 8:32 AM
Ian Brydon wrote:Is there any way to lean out your cruising AFR to say 15.0?

listening

|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Monday, September 18, 2006 8:42 AM
Acer wrote:

listening

For example, there's "lean cruise" that isn't enabled on our cars, but is for some Australian models. Is there any way to acheive these results using what we have available to us? I'm not running a cat, so decreased cat lifespan is not an issue for me.

Monday, September 18, 2006 9:45 AM
Ian Brydon wrote:
Acer wrote:

listening

For example, there's "lean cruise" that isn't enabled on our cars, but is for some Australian models. Is there any way to acheive these results using what we have available to us? I'm not running a cat, so decreased cat lifespan is not an issue for me.

i wasnt confused about what you were asking... i was just wondering the same thing...

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:18 AM
Ian Brydon wrote:Great writeup, sticky material for sure! Is there any way to lean out your cruising AFR to say 15.0? Is there any way to acheive these same results without the WB logging of the EIO cable? (I'm thinking no, but I thought I'd ask, lol)

Kinda, you can achieve a 14.7:1 through VE tuning, then you can increase your VE by 1% until you get a 15:1 AFR during cruise.

BTW, there are a couple more points I will be adding this evening, along with a warning/disclaimer.

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:54 AM
Acer wrote:
Ian Brydon wrote:
Acer wrote:

listening

i wasnt confused about what you were asking... i was just wondering the same thing...

That was moreso to clarify the question.

Thanks for the info Shifted!

Monday, September 18, 2006 11:50 AM
If there's a value available which sets the primary O2 crossing voltage, or the O2 rich / lean threshold voltage, or something similar, you can bias the sensor so the average AFR is on the lean side. Otherwise you need to run open loop. Once you go to open loop there are a multitude of ways to reduce the delivered fuel in cruise mode without reducing fuel under load.

-->Slow
Monday, September 18, 2006 12:05 PM
Great... !!

Now I have to spend $300 to upgrade my hptuners to the pro software...

Oh well- completely worth it.

Ron-- please come to philly & tune my car this winter.

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:15 PM
amazing write up

this needs to be a sticky 4000%

Monday, September 18, 2006 2:54 PM
STICKY!!! I'll definately be buying the advanced HPT, and also, this will definately be a first priority when i start tuning, like i said.....STICKY!!!

NEW SIG COMING SOON FOR 07'!!!
Monday, September 18, 2006 3:26 PM
OK I just went out and did some logging and my only concern is the comanded afr at idle and cruise is 13.5.
Shifted- Do you have any idea why it is 13.5 instead of 14.7? Keep in mind I have had the 2 bar GM Reflash for the supercharger. Is there any way to change this to 14.7? Thanks in advance.

Monday, September 18, 2006 3:52 PM
STICKY, damnit shifted, I think I only asked about this yesturday, Great Job to you and HPtuners... and who ever else worked on this, When I get home in 2 weeks I will run through this and get it just right.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, September 18, 2006 4:27 PM
DCStang67 wrote:OK I just went out and did some logging and my only concern is the comanded afr at idle and cruise is 13.5.
Shifted- Do you have any idea why it is 13.5 instead of 14.7? Keep in mind I have had the 2 bar GM Reflash for the supercharger. Is there any way to change this to 14.7? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure why that is, but unfortunately there isn't a way to change that.

**Another note**
If you want to do the lean-cruise type thing, you can't turn your closed loop fuel back on, the fuel trims will bring it back into the 14.7:1 range.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search