2008 2.2 Ecotec into a 2002 Saturn - Problems - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2008 2.2 Ecotec into a 2002 Saturn - Problems
Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:02 AM
Hi - my first day posting here.. thanks in advance for any input to this thread

I just finished putting a new 2008 crate 2.2 Ecotec motor into my 2002 Saturn Vue, which also had the 2.2 Ecotec. I used the ECM from the 02 - the new crate motor did not come with one. The new motor turns over fine - no start, but I'm getting to that.

Installation issues:

1. The new 08 motor has a camshaft position sensor the 2002 didn't have. I just left it in place and unplugged. I assume there will be no issues with that

2. The throttle body connector on the 08 motor was not the same as the 02 - so I bolted the 02 throttle body onto the 08 motor. No issues with that as far as I can see - of course, I haven't started the new engine yet

3. (the biggie?) The crankshaft sensor on the 02 motor is the older 6+1 tooth design, while the new motor uses a completely different reluctor, with a hall sensor, instead of the older type... GULP... wish I had seen that before I bought the 08 motor! Such a dumbass mistake - well, that's why I'm here - hoping someone smarter than me can help complete this install. I searched the forums here and found a member who was making his own external 7 tooth (6+1) crankshaft sensor trigger wheels which bolted onto the crankshaft pulley. Sounds like a viable solution... just bolt it on the pulley, and make a mounting for the old sensor which will position it over the trigger wheel. Problem is, that particular member is now off of this forum... anyone know where I can find such an external crank trigger wheel for the 2.2 Ecotec? Orrrr, another solution to this problem? Buying a new 02 crankshaft and installing it is not really and option... I can change motors, but rebuilding one is not within my skill set.

My friend suggested buying a new ECM and wiring harness made for the 2008 crate 2.2 (Cobalt still used the 2.2 in 2008... so if I were to follow his advise, I would be buying a Cobalt brain and harness, and installing those in the 2002 Vue. While this might (?) solve the crank sensor issue, I'm worried it might bring about other (dash instruments, etc) problems. Can anyone address that?

Any input on completing this install successfully will be greatly appreciated. The simpler the better - I'm not as smart as I should be to have placed an 08 2.2 in an 02 Vue (obviously), but now that it's in and cranking over nicely, I'd hate to have to pull this sweet brand new motor and head to the junkyard for a used older version.

BTW, the 2008 crate motor was for an automatic - the Vue is a manual... didn't seem to matter, but lemme know if you think it it does

Thx! Dave

Re: 2008 2.2 Ecotec into a 2002 Saturn - Problems
Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:03 PM
You need the external trigger wheel.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:59 PM
Then you think that will be the last glitch - getting the crank sensor working?
I am trying to find a trigger wheel... the thread where they were selling them is here http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=461530&t=461530

Does anyone have one? Know of one?

Thanks
Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:09 PM
Yea the crank triggers heel from the factory is different, not sure now where to get a wheel
Monday, November 11, 2013 2:30 PM
I saw a post somewhere (might have been facebook) showing these being sold.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:49 AM
Cinpro off Ecoforums is working on a design right now.

But not sure when it will be done. His is great because its adjustable
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:03 AM
1) run an external trigger and relocate the saturn's crank sensor

2) swap an engine in with the correct pattern

those are your only viable options.

a PCM swap is a huge undertaking that you do NOT want to mess with.

the external triggers are hard to find because the inital 2 runs are long since over. the new version is probably your best bet. the link was already posted.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:25 PM
Thanks people... one of the members here (oldskool) offered me his external trigger wheel at a very reasonable price. He says it has a larger diameter bolt hole in the center, but as long as it is well-centered, I can make a circular shim to fill the gap evenly, Thanks to Oldskool for the wheel!

I will post here how it goes when the wheel arrives... hoping this is the last issue
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:56 PM
While I'm waiting for the crank sensor wheel, can anyone answer this?? :

The older 2002 2.2 ecotec has 3 aspects of the fuel injectors which are different from the 2008 motor:

1. The new fuel injector bodies are smaller (and $60.00 cheaper).
2. The connectors on the 2008 injectors were different, so I had to splice them into the 2002 wiring harness... BUT :
3. The color of 2 wires to the new injectors are the same os the old colors, but they are reversed in relation to the injector body. In other words, the color that used to go to one side of the fuel injector connector on the 2002 is on the opposite side of the connector on the 2008

My question is, should I wire the connector color to color, in which case the wire which used to go to the "upper" part of the injector connector will now be going to the "lower" part of the connector, or reverse them so the colors will be mismatched, but going to the same part of the injector connector.... or does it not matter which way the injector wires are oriented?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search