Is this a high price for a tune? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is this a high price for a tune?
Monday, June 02, 2014 1:24 PM
I called DTP today and told him what I wanted, he said it would be $485 for a dyno tune, is that high or pretty normal?

Re: Is this a high price for a tune?
Monday, June 02, 2014 3:04 PM
SMG charges about 450 so I'd say that's about right. If they've never done a jbody before, expect it to cost a little more as it will take them more time than they're probably expecting.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, June 02, 2014 4:05 PM
Damn, that's low compared to over here on the west coast of Canada. It's $750+ for a dyno tune over here.
Monday, June 02, 2014 4:41 PM
Ok cool. He said he had done a couple J-Body's/ecotecs, I guess it is time to start saving up.
Monday, June 02, 2014 5:54 PM
I was quoted $600 from one of the best shops in NC.
Monday, June 02, 2014 6:47 PM
Good price if they can actually do it

FU Tuning

Monday, June 02, 2014 6:50 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Good price if they can actually do it

That's what I always wonder.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 1:56 PM

Bingo. That's a GREAT price if they can do it.

The big word is "if"...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 4:03 PM
I guess there is only one way to find out. They have a good track record from what I have read... We shall see.
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 3:10 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:

Bingo. That's a GREAT price if they can do it.

The big word is "if"...

-Chris-

10000000% agreed.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 4:21 AM
If u mean DTP as in Dyno Tuned Performance in VA Beach then yes the can do it...they tuned my bolt-on 04 LS Sport back in 2006. They also did work on a few LSJ Cobalts I know of. IMO in the area they are the ONLY option unless you go buy HPtuners & tune it yourself. & if the system still works the same it's only the initial tune that cost that much all tunes to follow should be cheaper unless you make a drastic change such as adding boost.

It beats a Honda!

Friday, June 06, 2014 6:44 PM
Yea Stikman29, they moved though. They are in Chesapeake now. I also watched a video on youtube of an 04 cavalier with a 2.2 eco, he had an LE5 mani swap, intake, header and cat less exhaust with stock injectors and DTP got him like 30whp over stock. IMO, that is an awesome gain with a few bolt ons and stock injectors.
Friday, June 06, 2014 6:58 PM
Yeah they are good people.

It beats a Honda!
Saturday, June 07, 2014 6:34 PM
Sounds like a great price. I ended up spending about 600-650 after we paid for dyno time Qwkcav's train ticket to chicagoland from St. Louis, hotel room. And I shared the cost with another person.

Monday, June 23, 2014 1:36 PM
Got my car dyno tuned Friday, this dude knows his @!#$. I recommend DTP to anyone that wants a dyno tune on any car. He got me 145whp with just a few bolt ons/swaps in my automatic 04 cavalier on 87 octane. Not too shabby IMO. What do yall think? And also, he charged exactly what he quoted me, which was $485.
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:58 AM
Jake, Thanks for posting this up glad to see you found some where reliable in/near Virginia beach. looks like ill be looking them up later on. BTW if you don't mind me asking is that with the items listed in your profile or is that on a different set up?
Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:33 PM
UPP in colorado spring did me a dam good tune 11psi E85 283hp to wheels

Ya buddy
Monday, October 20, 2014 11:12 AM
Interesting to see there is place in VA that knows how to tune J's. Might have to keep them in mind as a possibility when the time comes.
Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:39 PM
I've had 2 DYNO tunes and 1 street tune. Price was $500 for DYNO and $300 for Street. $500 seems to be the cost for the tuner, and the shops DYNO facilities. 2 - 4 hours.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Friday, May 29, 2015 11:02 PM
Wow that's just ridiculous! That's half the value of our cars, but then again if u got a few g's into it then a good tune would deff be an order but wow. Jus curious if anyone knows a tune shop in southern Ontario? for future reference..

ReD RaiN
Monday, June 01, 2015 8:22 AM
Lol. It sure is. Find a shop or tuner that has some kind of insurance. .Blow up your motor then what? The problem is there arent' many tuners out there or at least where I live. Since they are scarce, they can charge what they want since we ultimately need them, not the other way around. Get a copy of your TUNE so you can take it to another guy if you aren't happy!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search