ODB1 ECU Project - Page 4 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ODB1 ECU Project
Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:54 PM
Ok,

So have you determined what that procedure does yet? I'm thinking this ecm operates differently than past gm ecms because
a lot of the basic tables you found in the past actually are in this one multiplied by a factor to give the desired operative number.

Meaning, a idle table could be 2 or 3 digits in dec, and multiply by a certain factor.

Let me know if you've made any progress, or if we should compare notes.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 11:37 AM
Prolly won't see any progress until after next weekend. Work is really busy this coming week and I'll be putting in 12-14 hr days. Not good to comment code when tired.

The ecm probably operates in the same way, but the code was compiled differently and / or written with a better set of templates. Much of the old code was written by Motorola engineers as they were designing the microchips and hardware for GM. Once upon a time some of the application notes for various chips actually contained bits of the same code found in GM ECM's.

If the weather is lousy again tomorrow I may sit down and take a stab at this again.

-->Slow
Saturday, June 03, 2006 7:54 PM
Ok, no rush. If i were able to pay you at this point i would.

We're not going anywhere as far as the 6285 is concerned. However, i have a preliminary idea on how to build the 6395 adapter that would essentially tie the ln2 and transaxle in as if it were a s10 with a higher end gearing.

The s10 i believe has a lower gear ratio, but i dont think that will matter to the 0D set.
Friday, June 09, 2006 3:34 AM
Anybody had any luck with this project yet.

I know there are a few of you out there building test benches.

Im in the aquisition phaze of setting up contracts to get connectors and hardware for the project as well as buying hardware and building any needed interfaces etc....

Let me know there the has been any code advancements.
Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:44 AM
Ok, so we're a little off topic here as far as tuning, however we're going to be reworking a old qbasic program that will allow the odb1 ecm to give close to accurate track slips for posting on the J.

I say close because the program itself is originally dos based, and I want to attempt a windows port. If anyone has any qbasic and visual basic knowledge and would like to help drop me an email.

Other than that, thats the only update i have for now. I'm still working on setting up an accurate bench for testing.
Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:51 AM
I was pretty good with Qbasic and Visual Basic back in HS......... but I havnt touched it since then......... almost 10 years ago.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:09 PM
I've done a fair amount of C programming, and I've hacked up a few Qbasic programs (the lingo is easy to learn), but I haven't done any more with VB than buy a few books to look through.

Stil plugging away at obd1 code.

-->Slow
Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:09 PM
Ok guys, the software im talking about is on craig moates site.

He wrote it, and made it open source, and asks that anyone who updates it sends him a copy updated and gives him rights to put it on his site. I'm pretty sure if you want credit for the edit you will get it, as craig is a good guy and one of the major ecm/pcm pioneers in the field.

Slow, can you email me any additions or items you have found in the bin so that I can get them into the .xdf beta file. Also, i think there may be a way in tunerpro to actually calculate quarter times, i'm going to investigate that here soon. If not, i'd like to see a software package that we can read from any max232 or autoprom interface, and calculate 1/4 time like a gtech or close.

I should have a link shortly or you can email me for the file.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:17 PM
Ok coders, now is time to speculate. I have located a table vs rpm in the source but my question being, what is different between the 94 ln2 and the 95 ln2.

Here is the code sniplets.

94 LN2 bjlt

;-----------------------------------------------------------
; Table Vs. RPM
4032: FCB 128
4033: FCB 128
4034: FCB 128
4035: FCB 128
4036: FCB 128
4037: FCB 128
4038: FCB 128
4039: FCB 128
403A: FCB 128
403B: FCB 128
403C: FCB 128
403D: FCB 128
403E: FCB 128
403F: FCB 128

4040: FCB 217 ; RPM lag filter coefficient
4041: FCB 020
4042: FCB 000
4043: FCB 020
4044: FCB 000
4045: FCB 046

95 BMZX

; Table vs RPM
305F: FCB 128
3060: FCB 128
3061: FCB 128
3062: FCB 128
3063: FCB 128
3064: FCB 137
3065: FCB 139
3066: FCB 142
3067: FCB 145
3068: FCB 154
3069: FCB 162
306A: FCB 176
306B: FCB 182
306C: FCB 188
; --------------------------------------------------
306D: FCB 217 ; RPM lag filter coefficient
306E: FCB 020
306F: FCB 000
3070: FCB 020
3071: FCB 000
3072: FCB 046

Notice the table in the 94 is all 128? While the table in the 95 is on a slope rise. Could this be an idle table, or an egr control maybe?

Maybe shift light, transmission? The thing that catches me is after the break it looks at stuff to do with the lag filter setup.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:11 PM
This could be anything! This is why pattern matching alone sucks a$$.

There are plenty of cases where different calibrations have different table values for exactly the same vehicle!

You might try work through the code on both ecm's in parallel. Maybe something will pop up.

-->Slow
Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:11 AM
I have been working the code.

I noticed the differences in these 2 bins have to do with automatic vs manual transmission. The problem with working the code is i lack the understanding of assembly codes. I did manage to find the constant for stoich in the code, where it sets desired fuel ratio for 14.7, and i succesfully changed it so after the engine reaches normal op temperature it sets to the value in that area.

I also noticed that lowering it to 13.7 yield a small hp gain in the upper end on part pedal accel, and at full throttle accel the car attempted to maintain a 11.1 vs the 11.7 it was doing.

Something that has me is that if we can identify all the hardware locations, would it be possible to just write our own code?

Saturday, June 24, 2006 9:53 AM
The stoichiometric AFR usually does not affect WOT AFR. Were all the conditions the same during both test drives?

The small gain at part throttle can also be found if we can locate the PE enable paramaters. That's the better way to do it.

Yes, you can write your own code. I have a few small bits of custom code in my 7749. I know others who are writing large amounts of custom code for their ecm's.

-->Slow
Saturday, June 24, 2006 4:44 PM
Yea the runs are actually faster because i've upped my timing tables. I believe the timing table in this ecm are simply calculated by moving over the decimal point, though im not sure. It could be on the same lines as the values listed also in the 0D source.

Im having a hard time decryping the source, and i imagine im as far as i can get for a while, unless you can help determine what actively running variables are doing what?

I am still cracking away at it, but its very complicated, maybe even out of my reach.

Im going to be picking up the 16196395 soon, and loading the 0D from the ln2 on it, and seeing if that makes a difference. I tried loading the ln2 for the 0D on my pcm now, and the car idled at 2grand and wouldnt keep running, meaning some of the pins are the same. My thought is perhaps the hardware locations are close, but we really dont know. Hence the reasoning for picking up the ecm. BTW is there a good place to get wire cheap, my local is almost a dollar a foot.
Saturday, June 24, 2006 4:45 PM
Also, can anyone round up the mantapart sport chip for his MY 95 ln2 or LD2, it has the PE change in it along with spark and fuel changes.
Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:55 AM
Quick update, i need some quiick math done by the smarter guys in the group.

First off, there should be a way to calculate injector duty cycle by taking the pulse calculation and rpm calculation and outputting current duty cycle. Next I need a way to calculate quarter mile times. I know of a earlier mentioned dos program doing it, but i'd rather make it a windows xp module, something that can run when tuner pro is running.

Any ideas?
Saturday, July 22, 2006 9:15 AM
i am watching this post with great antisipation as i will b building a ln2 and dont want to change to a obd2 or standalone itl b a custom engine with cam forged internals and all the good stuff the main resion im looking into this is ill be running eather 10 or 10.5 comp with nos or lower comp and boost so ill need to b able to control fuel and timing verry well .............
i start northwestern in aug and illl ask some of the instructers thare for some help if you need any help that i might b able to give lett me know

Saturday, July 22, 2006 10:32 PM
Very good.

We have discovered timing and aldl sequences in the 16196285 pcm as well as some other tables. I should suggust that you attempt to integrate a 16196395 into your ln2 setup as this pcm is used on the ln2 in the S10, that is what I will be doing to tune the SC setup i have until we get the 6285 completely disassembled.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:12 AM
ODB1 project UPDATE!!!

I know its been a while since an update, but there is a major update.
TunerCat has released a odb1 definition file for their tunercat product.

What this means is, they now know the ecu functions, and have built software to program them.

We should be getting a hold of the source code for this, and should also be able to release a tunerpro file so that all you odb1 $36 and $F1 mask ecu guys can tune your ecu's.

The ecu's affected here are the 16196285 and the 16191947.

I will update this thread on the org when we have an initial file release.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:15 AM
Anyone who wants to try the tunercat software, their website is www.tunercat.com. Please if you do try it and buy the $36 definition file please let us know how well it works in this thread.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:42 AM
The tables generated using $36 look good...aka no gibberish, no strange turns into oblivion.
Also, with only non-$36 def files installed it would always ask for a $40 def file when you opened the 95 cal. With $36 installed it no longer asks for $40.

I do not have a chip burner, so I havent tried burning a chip yet.

sig not found
Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:31 PM
Quote:

with only non-$36 def files installed it would always ask for a $40 def file

The mask ID is in a slightly different location.

-->Slow

Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:00 PM
Update:

I have the constants modifiers done in tuner pro, the file for tunercat works AWESOME but has no funcionality with emulation or real time tuning/monitoring. Therefore a port to tunerpro is being done.

Im stuck though, in tunercat they list switches and flags as hex offset, in tuner pro its listed by the bit number.

How do i convert a hex offset to bit.

IE tunercat: Hex 20
IE tunerpro Bit ?

I should have tables done in a few days, and will be posting a project website with order forms for hardware and software downloads.

Thank you to everybody who contributed. The tuner files for tunerpro as always will remain open source.
Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:24 PM
like hex to binary? 20 would be 0010 0000, or 100000

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:45 PM
1 byte in machine code is represented by 8 bits, or 2 hex numerals
When a certain bet is set, lets say bit 7 is set on, it will show in the machine code a different hex number than say bit 1 set.

In tuner pro, it looks at an address location like #3000 and it sees something like #$20, the 20 it interprets as a set of bits 1-8 or in this case numbered 0-7 and for each of thoes bits that are set, it returns a byte that translates to hex as the $#20.

My problem is, i dont know what the $#20 is in set / unset bits.
Saturday, August 26, 2006 3:25 PM
C Smyth wrote:1 byte in machine code is represented by 8 bits, or 2 hex numerals
When a certain bet is set, lets say bit 7 is set on, it will show in the machine code a different hex number than say bit 1 set.

with bit 7 on, going from MSB to LSB, it would be 0000 0001 (if they're numbered 0-7), or hex 01

Quote:

In tuner pro, it looks at an address location like #3000 and it sees something like #$20, the 20 it interprets as a set of bits 1-8 or in this case numbered 0-7 and for each of thoes bits that are set, it returns a byte that translates to hex as the $#20.

My problem is, i dont know what the $#20 is in set / unset bits.

20 converted to binary is 0010 0000, so if it's looking at the word as 0-7, it would be bit 2 on.

fyi, if you're also converting the ASCII characters, $ in hex is 24, or 0010 0100, and the # in hex is 23, or 0010 0011.
your data string is going to be 0010 0100 0010 0011 0010 0000

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search