W41 Cams and HPT?? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
W41 Cams and HPT??
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:34 AM
Just wondering if HPT would be able to tune a 97 2.4 to use the W41 cams? I plan on pulling my engine soon for a full rebuild and I want to use the 086 head and w41 cams. But I hear that the stock ecu wont support the w41 cams. Will HPT take care of that problem? I really don't want to do a stand alone ecu.

In the planning stage for an all American TRD Cavalier.

Re: W41 Cams and HPT??
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:20 PM
I started a thread about this a while back, before HPtuners was actually released, maybe there will be some new info?

We had determined that you would likely be able to rig up something like an MSD cam sensor thing, and run it off that. Does anyone know if you could just disable the cam sensor, and run it in batch fire all the time?

The main downside to this, is that in order to safely explore the extra high RPM powerband, something should be done with the oiling system (2.3 oil pump swap/balance shaft delete, or other). Makes it hard to do on a stock bottom end when you have to take it all apart anyways.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Thursday, October 19, 2006 2:48 AM
Ian can you direct me to the info on setting up the msd cam sensor was anyone able to get it to work sucessfully?
The reason I ask is that I would prefer to run the engine sequentially rather than in batch fire mode.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:14 AM
Sequentially eh? - Whats the need? DIS still makes plenty of spark, whacha trying to do?
Thursday, October 19, 2006 10:59 AM
why not just get the w41 cams...... contact todd miller at miller performance, ask him about moding the cam carrier to fit the w41 cam and bore out the lifter bores to 35mm, then ask him to about adding the cam pos. sensor lobe and the power steering hex to the cam. with that taken care of all u do is get a 2.3 exhaust cam carrier and build the head up. so u used the 35mm lifters, HO springs, I think 2.4 retainers and keepers. im not sure but Speed Racer Z did that with his cams and has no problems. im sure he can pop in here to correct me if im wrong

Team GREEN
Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:12 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:Sequentially eh? - Whats the need? DIS still makes plenty of spark, whacha trying to do?

Injectors, not Spark........ Batch Fire vs Sequential...... setting off pairs of injectors vs setting them off in order...... as for it working, I've been meaning to give it a try with disconnecting the cam sensor, and using HPT to monitor things.......

Curt is right though....... the better route would be making the cam work with the 2.4 setup, and modifying the cam tower for the cam/lifters......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:51 AM
- sometimes I suprize myself.....now I'm listensing.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:54 AM
Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:56 AM
oh yea I also read that your going to be going boosted.... from what ive heard w41 cams will have to much overlap for boost. you would be better off with ho cam imo...... look at brandon fetters set up just to give u an idea since hes but down big number with them cams and a built motor

Team GREEN
Thursday, October 19, 2006 2:15 PM
does anyone have some decent pictures of what is done to the cam to get a cam sensor on it?

Thursday, October 19, 2006 2:54 PM
The W41 cams are not too big for boost.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:35 PM
ya, i hear there is some one in WI with a W41 in a 97 Z24 and some ones old turbo kit on it,

i also hear once it warms up it acualy runs smoth eaven with the big injectors

who could that be?

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:40 PM
thers a '97 also?

Damn, and I thought my '96 was the only one in WI....

Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:27 PM
I think the problem with the w41 cams are not that they are too big. They are the same lift as H.O. cams (.410"). The w41 cams however, have a longer duration. This means they open and close faster, which doesn't allow as much air to be "forced" into the motor from the turbo or super. Not to say that they aren't an upgrade from stock, but I would put money on the H.O. making more power with forced induction...especially with 10+ psi.
Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:56 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:I think the problem with the w41 cams are not that they are too big. They are the same lift as H.O. cams (.410"). The w41 cams however, have a longer duration. This means they open and close faster, which doesn't allow as much air to be "forced" into the motor from the turbo or super. Not to say that they aren't an upgrade from stock, but I would put money on the H.O. making more power with forced induction...especially with 10+ psi.

Actually, longer duration means the valves stay open longer, letting in more air/scavaging out more exhaust....... the problem is the over lap........ adj. cam gears are needed to cut the overlap back.......

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:21 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:
Brian Whalen wrote:I think the problem with the w41 cams are not that they are too big. They are the same lift as H.O. cams (.410"). The w41 cams however, have a longer duration. This means they open and close faster, which doesn't allow as much air to be "forced" into the motor from the turbo or super. Not to say that they aren't an upgrade from stock, but I would put money on the H.O. making more power with forced induction...especially with 10+ psi.

Actually, longer duration means the valves stay open longer, letting in more air/scavaging out more exhaust....... the problem is the over lap........ adj. cam gears are needed to cut the overlap back.......

Ok...For some reason, I had always thought that the duration was how much the camshaft rotates before it starts to open the valve again. Sorry.
Friday, October 20, 2006 1:56 PM
That would be 360 minus the duration.
Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:47 PM
Will the adjustable cam gears work well with the HO cams. I am running these cams with GM s/c and an MS-2. My car keeps trying to start on the exhaust stroke. Can anyone help with this.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006 4:06 PM
(my bad Brian)
ill just give you 55$ tonight to make it up to you

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search