tuning a 95? - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: tuning a 95?
Friday, January 05, 2007 5:46 PM
Neither the G4 nor the 2timer will work with a 95 J PCM

The G4 is for a different kind of MEMCAL and the J PCM has the older style MEMCAL

The 2timer workes on cars with 128k or 256k chips by putting 2 programs on a 512k chip.
The 95 J has a 512k program, so only one will fit , no more.

The G3 is similar to the 2timer except it uses a much larger chip (AM29F040) which can store up to 8 512k (aka 95 J)programs and runs a remote lead wire to a switch on the dash to change between them.

Again, 2timer/G4 = NO.

sig not found

Friday, January 05, 2007 5:50 PM
oops, i meet G3 instead of G4.... my bad
but thanx for clarifying the 2timer things.
so the G3 would be nice amd fit in the 95 ecu. cool!
thanx

Friday, January 05, 2007 5:52 PM
Magik1109 wrote:oh and whats the S2 Aries 28-pin ZIF Socket that comes with the GP1 package?

ZIF stands for Zero Insertion Force

The cheaper chip socket requires you to force the chip into place by pressing down hard and has the potential to damage the chip and/or break the legs(pins).

A ZIF socket allows the chip to drop in with no force at all then latches it in with a lever.

sig not found
Friday, January 05, 2007 5:55 PM
cool... you always have the answer to everythings Todd!!!! lol
thanx

Saturday, January 06, 2007 1:53 AM
Quote:

then for datalogging, i already have the blue specific cable that came with my autoxray scanner so only thing mssing is the ALDL definition file which i'm not qualify to make by myself! so maybe C. Smyth is coming with one soon....

If you already have software to datalog then you won't need to try and make the APU1 do the job. As long as Autoxray doesn't use a USB connection you can connect their cable and the APU1 USB cable both the laptop then switch between the two software applications.

It's not that hard to remove the chip from the memcal as long as you can work with small parts. A $15 Radio Shack soldering iron will do the job. Installing a socket or a new chip can be a little tougher but I have done quite a few here. I use the blue ZIF sockets which are also available from Moates. This change allows me to use the emulator header or a flash chip and still close the ecm cover. I'm not sure why soldering work is so scary to people, but most folks want to go with an adapter. Here's what I like to do.
You can see the memcal installed in the pcm. There's a blue ZIF socket on the RH side and a flash chip in it. If the memcal looks funny it's because I've removed the light blue cover to get to the parts underneath.

-->Slow
Saturday, January 06, 2007 12:23 PM
i dont have any software for datalog. the cable plugs into the autoxray scanner, but not into my computer, the ALDU1 is for that, but the APU1 can do the job too....

well... for soldering, i'm just scared to mess something up, so why not just buy the adapter and be done with it!!!

Also, i was reading the the other post from C. Smyth for the OBD1 ecu project and it looks like the $36 definition file wont works for emulation. So i dont know now.... i'll just have to wait for C. Smyth to come up with something soon and be able to datalog and tune at the same time with tunerproRT.

Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:22 PM

Quote:

so if someone can give me some links or books i could read up on, that would be great. I tried to search the net, but i didn't find anything for me as i'm a total newb to that kind of stuff.
thanx

Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:06 PM
There are tons of places with information. Some are good, some are not so good. The trick is finding information which doesn't overwhelm you. I've been doing this a long time and I'm not really sure that I'm qualified to recommend pages to total newb's anymore.

thirdgen.org is a good place to do some reading about tuning in general. There's a ton of stuff there but I'm pretty sure there's some "tuning basics" to help beginners. Much of the info is related to Camaros / Firebirds, but they'll generally help out if you have a question that is related to tuning. And there's probably some people at the same place in the learning process as you are, which can be a great help. Nothing sucks as much as feeling like you're walking in when the movie is almost over.

I have a book here called "How To Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman. It's mostly aimed at aftermarket standalone systems but it does a decent job of covering some important concepts which apply to tuning in general. Most of my learning came from hands on experience and from involvement in some very active forums with very sharp members. This forum has a ways to go to really qualify as a good source of information for learning.

I'd recomend sitting down and deciding right now what you want as a goal. Are you trying to learn to tune "Everything?" Are you trying to make the car idle better? Planning to increase boost? If you pick some problems to solve then you can at least focus on information related to that problem while you're reading.

Sorry, but I didn't know what an "autoxray" was. I use a Modis at the shop and various bits of laptop software for the vehicles I work on. If the autoxray will read ALDL data then you can use it. It's nowhere near as good as having a laptop that can record a long run, but it's better than guessing.

-->Slow
Thursday, January 11, 2007 6:32 PM
ok, thanx alot. i went to thirdgen.org and read alot on there and i think i have learned alot. I have still alot to learn but i think this will come when i actually tune the car.
now i just cant wait to get a definition file and aldl file tu use with tunerpro that C smyth is working on.
thanx.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:33 PM
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but is this info. i need to follow for my 96 z24? i was helping a friend(fast cavi) with hp turners and wanted to use it on my car. hooked it up, and would not connect. i couldn't figure it out. got home, only to discover, on the hpt site, it's only compatible with 97+. Talk about being pist.

AIM & Y!: COGcaviZ24
Monday, February 26, 2007 1:31 AM
MANY MANY apologies, i have been a very busy man.

I come with great news, you can save hundreds of dollars by switching to geico???? LOL just kidding.

Anyway I have a full disassembly of the $36 and $F1 pcm's, this has been a lot of work in the making.

I also have something the rest of the org is looking for, the complete .ads and .xdf for tunerpro rt so that you can use the Moates Autoprom on our vehicles. One problem with this setup though is, i haven't perfected the waterproof pcm casing yet, as the apu1 is a large unit it requires a different pcm case.

Anyone want to chime in.

Im still working on the finishing touches for the tuning files, as some of the scales are off for tables and maps, but this will be corrected in the next 2 days. In the mean time, i need ideas on how to build the pcm casing so that it can handle the extra unit.

The APU1 does have bluetooth, so the pcm and apu1 circuit boards can be encased in the same casing. My thought was to just create a new cover plate for the existing pcm that is raised and has the apu1 board mounted, then use bluetooth to connect it to the pc. Now you still have to connect the aldl cable up, but for that i suspect we can seal it right in with the pcm. Any ideas?

There is another adapter that moates sells, it converts the aldl to usb so you dont have to use the autoprom, but it wont work simultaniously with the autoprom.

Next project, 8psi on stock internals with alky injection on 2.2L

Stay tuned, files will be posted when tested safe.

C. Smyth

Monday, February 26, 2007 4:02 AM
thats great news!!!
i was wondering where you have been...

for the pcm sealing, i just wanted to relocate it in the car under the glove box, but a new water proof case would still be a good idea.
i thought i just had to connect the aldl cable from the obd port to the apu1 and datalog while i tune???

Monday, February 26, 2007 5:46 AM
COGcaviZ24 wrote:sorry to bring this back from the dead, but is this info. i need to follow for my 96 z24? i was helping a friend(fast cavi) with hp turners and wanted to use it on my car. hooked it up, and would not connect. i couldn't figure it out. got home, only to discover, on the hpt site, it's only compatible with 97+. Talk about being pist.

No its not.

With a stock 96 you are simply SOL.

If its manual, you can update to 97+ or back date to 95.
If its auto you can only update to 97+.

Those are your only options.

sig not found
Monday, February 26, 2007 8:51 AM
cool, so all i gotta do is go to the junk and get a 97+ z24 computer?

sorry for thread jacking

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:12 AM
my car is manual btw, since i got free use of a buddy's HPT, i'd to go 97+

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:40 AM
There are benefits and drawbacks going to the 97. ODB2 being one that some people call a benefit, faster processor i believe but dont quote me on that.

There are benefits going to the 95, one being compatibility with the best piece of free/inexpensive (tunerpro rt has a reg fee, and as always mark welcomes donations as well) tuning/datalogging software (in my opinion) out there.

ODB2 has more smog regulations in the pcm, than does the ODB1, and in order to tune the ODB2 your going to be shelling out for hptuners. If thats the way you want to go, by all means go that way, hptuners i hear is a nicely developed software tuning suite, but if you wish to go ODB1, the option is there.

The 16196285 pcm can be bought for around $50 at most junk yards, or if you want to go with an older, 1227xxx pcm, there are even more options there. I think in the 1227xxxx series pcm's there is even a pcm already set up for boost, so if your shooting for a boosted pcm that would be the way to go.

Either way, you'll either need apu1 for logging/tuning, or a chip burner and ald1 (i think thats the aldl adapter without emulation), but personally I went autoprom, you cant go wrong. And craig has a awesome repair/replace policy.

To give you an idea, for 10 months my autoprom was in the engine bay, sealed in a zip lock bag and i had no problems with it. But it looked rigged, so thats why the need for a more professional waterproof casing.
Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:04 PM
C Smyth wrote:MANY MANY apologies, i have been a very busy man.

I come with great news, you can save hundreds of dollars by switching to geico???? LOL just kidding.

Anyway I have a full disassembly of the $36 and $F1 pcm's, this has been a lot of work in the making.

I also have something the rest of the org is looking for, the complete .ads and .xdf for tunerpro rt so that you can use the Moates Autoprom on our vehicles. One problem with this setup though is, i haven't perfected the waterproof pcm casing yet, as the apu1 is a large unit it requires a different pcm case.

Anyone want to chime in.

Im still working on the finishing touches for the tuning files, as some of the scales are off for tables and maps, but this will be corrected in the next 2 days. In the mean time, i need ideas on how to build the pcm casing so that it can handle the extra unit.

The APU1 does have bluetooth, so the pcm and apu1 circuit boards can be encased in the same casing. My thought was to just create a new cover plate for the existing pcm that is raised and has the apu1 board mounted, then use bluetooth to connect it to the pc. Now you still have to connect the aldl cable up, but for that i suspect we can seal it right in with the pcm. Any ideas?

There is another adapter that moates sells, it converts the aldl to usb so you dont have to use the autoprom, but it wont work simultaniously with the autoprom.

Next project, 8psi on stock internals with alky injection on 2.2L

Stay tuned, files will be posted when tested safe.

C. Smyth

hey, i just got me the APU1 on ebay so i was wondering if i could use tunerpro or i'll need to stick with tunercat def file.
as for the pcm, i will just relocate it into the car under the glove box.

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:12 AM
You should be able to use tunerpro rt or tunerpro for this one.

Let me see if i can dig you up the .ads and .xdf's for my current beta 3 and if allowed i will post a link on the org.
Saturday, September 08, 2007 2:16 PM
can you send them my way please?
also, anyone got the .bin file from Karo's chip and mantapart's w41 chip?
thanx

Sunday, September 16, 2007 7:52 AM
Im looking for a host to upload the beta 3 project files. Does anyone have karo's and manta part bins? I have yet to find anyone who can pull them off of a chip and send them to me.
Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:15 AM
you can upload the file on moates.net!
maybe protomec got the bin from Karo's chip and i think someone in teamgreen got the mantapart's bin...
it would be great if they could upload on moates.net too

Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:44 AM
Protomec and Teamgreen, can you chime in and possibly upload files to moates.net.

I tried uploading my files and got an error on upload, are we sure craig has uploading enabled?
Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:51 AM
send me the file by email, i'll try to upload it.

Monday, September 17, 2007 12:20 AM
I have the manta 95 HO file, and a W41 file..... they are just on the laptop, and its DOA at the moment....

after hitting post, I believe they where posted up on Q4F a few months back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 17, 2007 12:21 AM

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:10 AM
I have the 41 i think, the delcoq4 file, but i dont have the mantapart one.

Magik you got mail.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search