shaved door handle - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
shaved door handle
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 4:00 PM
I was woundering if any one has a clue on how too pop your hood from under the car.. See hear is the problem i have shaved door handles with no emerge release and my battery is dead. I was told too pop the hood from under the car i see the cable I think but i have no clue on how too do it..... PLEASE HELP.

Re: shaved door handle
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 8:33 PM
have you tried to tug on it?..not so hard that it rips off though..then you'd really be outta luck
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:44 PM
yeah... have fun... i have breaking into my car down to a science.... since i dont drive my 03 alot it tends to die rather often..... now ive learned to keep my hood open if its not in the garadge with the window open....

they make nylon wedges you can "wedge into your door frame, and use a coat hanger bent with a loop to hook your door handle...

i belive lokar makes a remote cable release ive been meaning t pick up so you can pop the hood outside the car... i belive i saw it in a summit ctaologe

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:50 PM
i heard even w/ the battery dead that you should still have enough charage to pop the door since they dont take much power

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 6:53 PM
/\ iv read that too but that might only be on certin kits..im pretty sure i read that from autoloc
Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:36 PM
BaggedCav98 wrote:i heard even w/ the battery dead that you should still have enough charage to pop the door since they dont take much power

I have the SPAL kit, and when I was installing mine yesterday I forgot to unhook the battery. So, while I was opening and closing the doors and getting in and out of the trunk for tools, my battery went dead. When I finally got everything hooked up and it came time to test, I didn't have enough power to even move the solenoids. Luckily I had my windows down so I could pop my hood and put my battery on the charger. Also, when I had my door open and was testing one of the solenoids, the dome light got really dim. So apparently the SPAL kit uses a lot of juice.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:43 PM
This is why I'm shaving my door locks but not the handles. Some of these mods are just asking for trouble.

With my body kit, I have no clue how I will ever change a flat tire, since I can no longer get the jack under it. Even if I did, trying to get the lock nut off the center cap of my rims is next to impossible without scratching a wheel. Then on top of that, if I need a jumpstart, the chrome tube for the RKsport intake gets in the way and must be taped with electrical tape to avoid contact with the jumper cable (learned that one the hard way!). If I ever have a serious breakdown, ther's no way they can use a roll-back tow truck without ripping my body kit to pieces...

Bottom line is, we are all F-ed. There will be no normality for us!
Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:03 PM
Hey look at it this way at least you're not Mitsubishi Starion or Chrysler Conquest owners. I used to own an 87 Mitsu Starion, Nothin but breakdowns and headaches. To top it all off, Starion parts are extremely expensive and next to impossible to find. the only trouble I'm having with my 97 Cavalier is learning how to deal without the tach...I loved being able to tach out my Starion to get really good times...I'd have no clue when to shift in the Cavy, except for the idiot light...lol
Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:05 PM
heres and idea ... i do this all the time when i lock my keys in my car .... take a long thin but strong ... rod AKA antenna and a flat head screw driver and put it at the top of the windows .. carefully push the flat head down ... and out and softly push the rod down towards the interior lock and try to push it out ... just like your unlocking it from the inside i do this all the time ahah ... its works just push the flat head in and try to push out the window .. (towards you enough to push the rod in the windo) hope that helps
Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:50 PM
yay, conquests! i have a 89 quest, i friggin love it. but yes, expensive as @!#$ to get fixed up.

lol, 4th, oh well, im working on it.
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:37 PM
AZN CAV... I don't think he has locks anymore... The first time I was stuck out I dropped a stringdown and pulled my trunk open tab. Not everybody has on of those but I did. You can't unlatch the hood from outideunless you have and aftermarket front bumper with an open void inside in the front. The only way you are going to be able to get in is by pushing out the door from the town to open the handle. I'll assume that you shaved your trunk luck.When I shaved my handles, I got rid of the stock latch and replaced it with hoodpins. My battery hasn't ever died but I can be jump-started to open my doors if it ever does. There is a trick that I used on my friend's monte carlo I shaved when his battery died. I jacked up his car and found a random 12v wire. I slit the wire and wrapped another wire around it then stuck that to a battery. I grounded it out to the frame and he popped his door.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:22 PM
I have shaved door handles and I had that thought to right away but i just took out the latch and put hood pins in! that easy.

-99' Cavalier - Lambo Orange Pearl
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search