painting pearl - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
painting pearl
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:54 PM
does anyone now if there is a certian way to put on pearl.... has anyone or does any one know how to put on pearl

Re: painting pearl
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:57 PM
mix it in the clear.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:08 PM
i know that but do you spray it just however or it there a type of motion
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:23 PM
Nope, pearl goes on the same as flake. You're not going to get a pattern in the pearl. Just depends on how many layers you spray, as to how different the "pearl" effect

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:32 PM
so just spray how you would putting on clear
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:46 PM
yup

Thursday, February 17, 2005 8:12 AM

Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:33 PM
Not entirely true...

when you're spraying metallics or pearl... you want to alternate your spray pattern to make sure it coats evenly... ie spray left to right, up and down, and diagonally both directions.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:35 PM
Oh and depending on the effect (if there's something particular you're looking for) I recommend mixing it with the base. Paint can be put on too thick... I think anything above 7 microns, the thicker the paint gets the more chance you have of cracking and spidering

Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:14 PM
^^ correct

the best thing to do is when you spray your 2 or 3 regular coats... to fog it and get out all of the "stripes" i fog it both diagonal ways and side to side... then i rotate my gun cap and fog it up and down too. this works well with pearls and candies

Click Here, To Check Out My Interior

Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:04 PM
ok so let me get this.. i mix the pearl with the paint not the clear coat...... i spray left to right, up and down, and diagonally both directions... do i spray from afar or how far do i spray(that if it is with the clear)... last ? say i spray it twice i have to put the same amount of pearl as i did the first time... how much pearl to paint... if some one can give me ratios to everything i mean everything

Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:36 PM
you should really do a spray out card first to get the darkness and pearl content you want. but lay down the base, and mix the pearl either in a clear or a intercoat clear like dbc500 which sprays like base coat. Fogging shouldnt be necessary if you spray metallics right but i cant hurt, just look for tiger striping or any gathering. Spray the base, spray the pearl, clear coat. pearl in the base coat works, but it take alot more to get the same effect and pearl is expensive

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:45 AM
Angel Baeza wrote:ok so let me get this.. i mix the pearl with the paint not the clear coat...... i spray left to right, up and down, and diagonally both directions... do i spray from afar or how far do i spray(that if it is with the clear)... last ? say i spray it twice i have to put the same amount of pearl as i did the first time... how much pearl to paint... if some one can give me ratios to everything i mean everything

Pearl with paint yes. I do NOT recommend mixing it with the clear, unless you have years of painting experience and know what you're doing... plus it's only useful if you're going for some sort of "special effect"... which when doing "special effects" you need years of training to do properly.

Doing body work and painting in itself takes YEARS of training to do properly to begin with. No one realizes how much really goes into it. It's not as easy as people think it is. You have to be TRAINED to know what to feel and look for. Yes with BODY WORK you have to FEEL what you're doing, as well as know what to look for. Painting is done entirely with your eyes... you can't touch the paint when you're painting.

When spraying metallics and pearls you have to know what to LOOK for... and know when something's wrong. Even spraying clear, you have to know what to look for i.e. by looking at the texture of the clear you're spraying, that will let you know whether you either have too much clear, not enough (dry spots), moisture, etc.

How much experience do you have with painting?? By asking how far away to spray from and how much pearl to paint, I'm guessing not much.

As far as ratios goes... there's not much ANYONE on here can really do about that. Without knowing and seeing what exactly you're going for as far as a look or what you're trying to do... no one can tell you exactly how much pearl. Generally maybe... but it varies in a lot of different ways.

My best advice for you would be to (if you know someone willing to do this) to TEACH you how to do these things. You can't learn things in this field by only reading words on a screen/book whatever without having the hands and EYES on experience.

But if you are totally 100% determined to "teach yourself"... get some practice metal and spray to get the feel for it and see what you're looking for.

Monday, February 21, 2005 12:28 PM
while im paint ing my car yellow with a gold pearl i dont want the gold to show all the time maybe spots where the sun hits it ... so if anyone can help with that
Monday, February 21, 2005 5:27 PM
I guess you missed my question...

HOW MUCH PAINTING EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE?????

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:27 AM
OH... And there's also your overlap when you're spraying, which also varies depending on what you're spraying. A lot more goes into it than you think...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search