body kit paint question - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
body kit paint question
Saturday, February 19, 2005 6:59 PM
hey everyone i had a question for everyone that painted their kits

do you have to sand all of the white off or just sand it down some and then primer and paint?

those are a few pics so you can see what im talikng about thanks

Re: body kit paint question
Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:13 PM
well since you been driving around with it on, i would sand it down to get any imperfections out that may have happened from small rocks and such. other than that from what i heard you can just shoot primer right on to the gel coat and go from there

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:32 PM
i already sanded and did body work i just wanted to make sure i didnt have to get it all off cause that would suck

thanks

anyone else agree disagree?

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:31 AM
anyone?

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:34 AM
when you paint ANYTHING, you must sand it down a bit otherwise the paint won't stick.

I'd sand it, prime, wet sand, dry, then paint. If you have any questions, I've been doin body work and painting for years, feel free to shoot me an email fallenangel3110@lycos.com ... and Yes I'm a chick... LOL

Sunday, February 20, 2005 5:04 PM
[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]when you paint ANYTHING, you must sand it down a bit otherwise the paint won't stick.

I'd sand it, prime, wet sand, dry, then paint. If you have any questions, I've been doin body work and painting for years, feel free to shoot me an email fallenangel3110@lycos.com ... and Yes I'm a chick... LOL

really?? you are the 2nd women i have seen online that are body men
anyway
the stuff is gel coat like someone said most kits i have done were completely @!#$ty and i need to get it off and basicly re do the whole kit
if your lucky it is a good kit and nothing has to be done you one of the lucky ones i guess
if it is in good condition and no work has to be done then wet sand it with 400 then 600 then 1000 and then a grey scuff pad, seal ,base, clear DONE!!
if it needs work then fill any pin holes fix any cracks D.A. it with 180 fix the problems
prime it sand it with 180 again
prime again wet sand with 400 , 600, 1,000 the grey scuff pad to get any spot ya missed
prep work is the ket to a show winning paint job

can i haz bondo
Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:55 PM
big daddy wrote:[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]when you paint ANYTHING, you must sand it down a bit otherwise the paint won't stick.

really?? you are the 2nd women i have seen online that are body men
anyway
the stuff is gel coat like someone said most kits i have done were completely @!#$ty and i need to get it off and basicly re do the whole kit
if your lucky it is a good kit and nothing has to be done you one of the lucky ones i guess
<b> if it is in good condition and no work has to be done then wet sand it with 400 then 600 then 1000 and then a grey scuff pad, seal ,base, clear DONE!!
if it needs work then fill any pin holes fix any cracks D.A. it with 180 fix the problems
prime it sand it with 180 again
prime again wet sand with 400 , 600, 1,000 the grey scuff pad to get any spot ya missed
prep work is the ket to a show winning paint job</b>

Heh I already emailed him back with suggestions. Usually with kits like that... I sand down and prime anyway, cause the majority of the time there is little imperfections to begin with.

Personally... I wouldn't DA a body kit... especially if it's fiberglass. If you're not thoroughly trained you can cut into it too far and really mess things up/

Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:20 PM
thanks guys and gal its working great

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:48 AM
Streaker1369 wrote:thanks guys and gal its working great

No prob

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search