body kit shine? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
body kit shine?
Monday, February 21, 2005 2:50 PM
Quick question on how most people get there body kits to shine so good? The body shop I took the peices to did a good job painting and clearing it, just not shinny enough for me. Any help?

Re: body kit shine?
Monday, February 21, 2005 2:59 PM
polish and wax... but make sure you let the kit cure for long enough before you do that, cause if you polish and wax the kit before it's ready, you'll ruin the paint job.

Monday, February 21, 2005 3:30 PM
Did they wetsand and buff and polish it? Like Cannon Fodder said wait before you wax it. Six months is usually what you are told. Also use dish soap when washing it. Car soap has built in waxes in it.

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Monday, February 21, 2005 5:25 PM
6 MONTHS to wax?? Never heard that long before... but extra time never hurt anything either.

Monday, February 21, 2005 5:41 PM
[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]6 MONTHS to wax?? Never heard that long before... but extra time never hurt anything either.

not sure i think he meant 6 month prior to having it painted
i dont know how long after paint has been layed on but my guess would be about a moth to let paint hard up well

i might be re corected on this

00 cavi now in body shop
Monday, February 21, 2005 5:53 PM
AFTER paint... 1 - 2 months... I usually tell them 2 just to be safe

Monday, February 21, 2005 5:57 PM
When I was in an accident and had to have a new bumper and hood put on and painted, they told me to not even wash the car for 2 weeks and no wax for 6 months. *shrug*

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:13 PM
I was told six months to not wax after mine was painted. They said I could wash it that day if I wanted too. I drove my car home from the shop in the pouring rain. *sigh* They said I could polish it within a couple of months and actually recommended a brand of 3m polish to use. The guy who painted my car did his paint job over two years ago and has only polished his car since then, no waxing whatsoever and the car looks brand new.

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:22 PM
I take it this info goes for interior fiberglassed peices as well?
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:41 PM
hmmm

---

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:02 PM
if the car is baked in a down draft or a booth with bakin ablities then 2 months is fine
if not cooked then about 3 months
you can use a hand glaze just to keep it shinny so it doesn`t dull out
3m makes a couple of different hand glazes just remember that stuff washes right off
and you would need to glaze it after a wash

can i haz bondo

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:09 PM
1 month is a good rule imo.
some shops buff after just few hours after baking it. but ifs its not baked a month is good.
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:32 PM
To get a "glass" look to your paint job the clear coat has to be wet sanded, polished and buffed. Also someone above said to use dish soap, thats actually a bad idea. Dish soap is very abravise, it has to be to get stuck on food off of dishes. This may sound strange but I use plain old Tide laundry detergent, it will not scratch the finnish and gives you lots of suds. The only thing about it is that you have to rinse the car off really well.

Also about waxing.....Waxing is actually an abrasive that cuts into the paint, thats how it covers and "removes" inperfections in the paint. If you have a show quality paint job (meaning it has been cut, polished and buffed) wax will actually hurt the finnish and you will have to rewax it every so often to get back to that nice shine and eventually that "glass" finnish will be gone for good. The best thing to do instead would be to have the car professionally polished and buffed once a year. Wash your car at least once a week and make sure to wash any tar/bugs/bird s@#t/etc off right away.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:36 PM
Oh also about how long you should wait. It really depends on a few things like what type of booth it was painted in, what type of paint was used and how many coats were applied. When the car comes out of the booth the clear coat will be "soft" and does need time to fully cure. Best thing to do would be to ask the person that is spraying the car, they should know what will be best for you.

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:42 PM
raven,
I have been told by plenty of paint experts that washing a car with dish soap is the exact opposite. Since my car has been out of the paint booth this is all I have washed it with and my paint looks just fine. Tide laundry detergent. I may just have to try that one. I have one question though, liquid or powder?

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:45 PM
Powder...it's nice and cheap and a box goes a long way. Myself I have never used dish soap so I can't comment on it personally, I'm just going by what my paint guy says. He actually threatened me with a hammer when I suggested it one day.

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:48 PM
LOL,funny mine suggested that then pointed at his car and asked if I would question him. I basically asked him how he took care of his car I mean every step and he gave me a big list.

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:50 PM
lol...it's funny, every paint guy I have met is very protective of their way of doing things.

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:52 PM
He is too. Thats why he was pissed when someone punched dents in the ghost Mustang on his car and where it was done in the HOK Candy Red it all bubbled up over time and started to peel. Sad people want to do stuff like that.

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:54 PM
That kind of sh*t really bothers me. If someone has a problem with someone then take it out on that person not their car. Thats just a coward who deserves to get their head kicked in.

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:57 PM
Nicest guy you ever met too. Literally. One of the few guys I know that if anything ever happened to your paint (not of your own doing) he fixed it no matter the cost. I have yet to see anyone return anything though.

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:04 PM
Same here he will bend over backwords for you if you have any problems. But if you screw him over (not pay your bill, take bad about him behind his back, etc) then he can be your worst nightmare. He is a perfectionist in all of his work...take a look at the starting the 98 convert in the photos section to see the car he is building right now, his work is incredible. For example he painted a VW golf last winter and he molded the rear bumper in on it. The car was rear ended about a month after it was painted and it actually punched a hole right through the rear bumper (about 12 inches long and 3 inches high). That was the only damage done. It didn't crack the body work at all, not even a stress crack in the paint. His work is just amazing.

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:32 PM
Recommend some polishes please
Monday, February 21, 2005 11:28 PM
so Raven, do you suggest Tide with bleach on white cars? what about colors?

and what about delicates?

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:00 AM

I was waiting for someone to say something.

Actually you need to get plain Tide, don't get anything with bleach or any other additives. Just plain old Tide.

raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search