Painting Flames??? need a little help - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Painting Flames??? need a little help
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:01 AM
Ok I'm getting ready to paint my car as soon as the weather becomes suitable. I have that on the go and under control. The problem is is I'm going going to do a flame job of just a red on white with Blue pin striping. Now I have no idea how is to mask the area off and then lay down something to keep from getting over spray on my ride. So what I'm asking is this.

How do you go about masking and sealing off the surrounding area from overspray.

Re: Painting Flames??? need a little help
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:30 AM
well.. most ppl that do paint have a room with ventilation made for it... if it's well done... the ventalation usually vents out some of the overspray... i would still mask the whole car other then the area of the flames with that rolled paper you can buy at a paint store or improvise on whatever.. BUT! a lot of times when you want to do a nice flame job you'l airbrush a bit of shadow on the side of the flames or whatever... in this case you can't really mask, and although an airbrush pen does hardly any overspray... it's a good idea to be well ventilated

www.gasted.com
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:42 AM
Yes I plan on airbrushing a shadow... then pen stripping... though I plan to use a paint gun when I do my flames therefore needing to know how to mask the whole car off to do a near like professional job...
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:08 AM
tape your area to flame, i'd use the really thin tape that has some flex to it.

use a wider tape over the thinner tape to the outside of what you're painting.

use paper to mask the rest off, carefully cutting where you need to.

IF you have a very good ventilation system... you can get away with just masking off half the car with paper.... but I'd highly recommend using plastic to cover the whole part of the car you do not want overspray on just to be on the safe side.

I hope that made sense I just woke up.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:31 AM
Hey Angle,
I was looking for you on MSN but you wasnt on so I went ahead and posted... Thanks I will probably as you more quistion later thanks...
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:43 AM
Heh I'm on Yahoo right now... I dont' use MSN much... but here I"ll sign on quick LOL

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:19 PM
no offense but it almost sounds like ya might not want to try this your self
i mean if your askin how to mask off flames then ya might not want to try it

draw out the flame first with either a piece of chalk or a grease pencil
then ya go and lay out the flame with fine line tape
mask off with paper if ya can with 2 inch tape and 3/4 tape
i just hope your doin flames and not lobster claws or deer anterlers
no offense

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:31 PM
Fallen Angel nailed it all.....That's how we did mine......

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:26 AM

I did my ghost flames. When I did my ghost flames, I had never even attempted to do flames on my own before. I got a little heavy with the pearl in the front and should have used another coat on the rest... but it was a learning experience. Only way to learn is to try and practice! (provided you have paint knowledge beforehand).

I dont' mind answering questions like this... I just hate answering the ones where people know absolutely nothing about body work and painting and want you to take the time to tell them step by step the entire process and don't want to take classes or have someone teach them. It's really hard to explain the entire process in words without being able to SEE what you're doing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search