leds - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
leds
Friday, February 25, 2005 3:13 PM
This is bizarre. I bought a pair of led bulbs for my front turn sigs, and a pair of load equlizers. After i installed everything i did a test to make sure everything worked correctly.
Everything works great with my headlights/running lights off. if i turn my headlights or running lights on, once i hit the passenger side turn signal, it flashes fast, and my clock on the stereo as well as the odometer light flashes fast too!! The drivers side led works fine though. what did i do wrong?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: leds
Friday, February 25, 2005 4:25 PM
arrgh, help!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, February 25, 2005 4:33 PM
"Arrgh", are you a pirate???

I have no clue, but I'm sure someone on here does... It really sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Friday, February 25, 2005 4:46 PM
recheck the wiring, that is bazzar

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Friday, February 25, 2005 4:48 PM
You waited like an hour for someone to reply to your thread... wow.

Anyway, did you bother checking the wires with a multimeter before you installed the LEDs? What are they rated (voltage and amperage, specifically) at? What about the resistors? More details would be appreciated.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Friday, February 25, 2005 4:54 PM
i didnt check the wires. didnt know i needed to. these are just direct replacement 3157 led bulbs and a load resistor on each bulb. i thought that was all i needed.

these are the load resistors i bought. its a 6ohm, 50 watt resistor.

load resistors

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:21 PM
Yeah, this sounds like a ground issue to me. Which side of the signal circuit do you have the resistor on? If you have it on the ground side, move it to the signal side and see if it takes care of it. Also, the bulb is a two-circuit bulb (one running light, one turn signal). Do you have a load resistor on both, or just one? If you have it on the ground, you would only need one, but if this is the problem, you would need two. The best way to fix a problem like this is trying a few different things. You might also try running a solid ground directly to that circuit.

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:41 PM
I have to put a load resistor on each bulb. the resistor "wires" into the stock wiring. what i mean by that is there is no splicing of the wires, it crimps the wires with a metal contact. looks a lot like this:

the load resistors look like this:

so you think its a grounding issue?

Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:34 AM
Yeah, I know how they go in. However, each turn signal bulb has three wires. A ground, a positive for the parking filament, and a posistive for the signal filament. If you recheck the installation directions, it tells you that you need two for your setup. Also, try puting it in series on the turn signal positive (crimp it onto the same wire, then snip out the piece of the orinial wire in between). Once you get it working right, I highly suggest using some crimp type butt connectors and some shrink tubing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search