remove stock spoiler? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
remove stock spoiler?
Friday, February 25, 2005 12:41 PM
i'm getting my car repainted this spring and i'm tossing around the idea of getting rid of my stock sunfire rear spoiler. i've seen some cars without it and i really like the look but i'm not really sure. what;s everyone's opinion? i prefer the sleeker clean look and taking it off would definately give it that, but then again the shape of the fire trunk may need the spoiler to keep the body lines flowing...i really dont know, lets hear some opinions!

Brian

Re: remove stock spoiler?
Friday, February 25, 2005 1:29 PM
i kinda like the look with out the stock spoiler. it's different since you don't see too many sunfires without it.

here's a suggestion. unbolt the spoiler and take it off. cover up the holes with electrical tape to keep water from getting into your trunk. leave it like that for a little while and see if you prefer it that way. if not, take off the electrical tape and put your spoiler back on.

Friday, February 25, 2005 1:32 PM
^^^^^ Ingenious and cost effective!

I like the Sunfires too without a spoiler, but sometimes when you look at it it seems like it's missing something, almost like it's naked

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Friday, February 25, 2005 1:48 PM
^^^i agree^^^ the 2 door fires look ok with out the spoiler...but it is still missing somthing. i would maybe find a very low-profile style wing. such as a stock wing from another car like the grand am or prix, or maybe even the 4 door fire wing. ive always liked the 4 door wing and was considering keeping it on my car...but after seeing my current wing in a mag i changed my mind. good luck

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Friday, February 25, 2005 7:45 PM
I was also debating whether to take off the factory spoiler or not. LIke stated above though i figured that would be my best bet is to take it off for a lil and see if i like it.
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:31 PM
I've also been considering doing this to my car but first I think a person needs to have tint, have the car lowered and have mags before it will really look any good without the spoiler. The biggest concern I have with the 2 doors that don't have a spoiler is how round/jellybean like the car can look. The Sunfire definitely suffers with having too few hard lines (typical mid 90's design).

I've thought of also taking mine off and trying the GTS rear window spoiler but I'd need to see if before trying it. A really good example of a nice car without a spoiler is Greenfire but I can't find the one I'm looking for in the registry.

I really like the idea of taking it off and trying it, but what would happen to the third brake light? A person would have to get one off of a sedan before taking off the wing to stay street legal.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:05 AM
yeah i think i'm just going to take it off and see what i think...i'm leaning more and more towards getting rid of it

as for the brake light, they did make some fires without the stock wing so i can just get a third brake light for the windom from a junkyard, if not then gmpartsdirect or a dealer

Brian

Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:56 AM
I wouldn't worry about the third brake light unless it's re quired by law for you to have it. I know in some states it is..

My Car Domain Page

Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:34 AM
I thought all states require the third brake light now?

Anyway, if your state does, try high-tech products. They make flush mountable LED strips in various lengths that you could put in the trunk before it gets painted. They just epoxy in place, then you file/sand the lens until it's smooth with the metal. tape it for the primer and base, then clear right over it.
I've been thinking of puting one on mine and removing the one from the spoiler.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:07 AM
^ hmmmm i like the sound of that, thanks for the input!

where could i find high tech products? are they online? i've never heard of them

Brian

Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:36 AM
Not having a spoiler is like a hot girl with a flat ass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:27 PM
i took my stock spoiler off....i love it....look around on here for pics of sunfires without spoilers...better yet everyone who can post pics of your sunfire without spoilers do so!

"Peter Griffin: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO".
Brian Griffin: Peter, those are Cheerios. "

Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:43 PM
No, your not required to have a THIRD brake light, only if u have one on ur car, it must be in working order. Other then that its perfectly legal not to have a third break light...if this were true, think about how many cars out there would be F*CKED

"Your a mean mean maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!"
Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:13 AM
i think the law is just that (in some states) you can't remove the third brake light if it came from the factory. not 100% sure on that though.

Monday, February 28, 2005 9:09 PM
FrostySunfire wrote:^ hmmmm i like the sound of that, thanks for the input!

where could i find high tech products? are they online? i've never heard of them

I don't think they have a websight. I found them in the back of a Sport Truck mag years ago when I was building a truck. They were the first real aftermarket company that I know of making automotive LED products for customs. They make all different lengths, and you can get clear lens or red lens with diffusor, and you can get single row or double row.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search