how to body work - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how to body work
Monday, March 14, 2005 6:46 PM
I wanna know how to shrink down sheet metal that has been stretched from a dent. can anyone tell me how to approach this so I can get started on my car. thanks.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Re: how to body work
Monday, March 14, 2005 6:52 PM
The process takes hands on experience, and has multiple techniques. Almost impossible to explain that kinda hands on work over the internet, its something you have to feel.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: how to body work
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 12:24 AM
there is alot of ways to do it. I suggest you get a book and read it, and get some practice metal, working metal too much can cause it to oil can. As mentioned above its really not something that can be taught over the net. You can get a shrinking spoon, or a slapping spoon, or you can use a serrated hammer and a velvet dolly, or a regular dolly, there is also a series of dime size shrinks using an oxy acetalene outfit and a hammer and dolly. one of the most effective ways to shrink small areas of metal is to use a stud gun and not put a stud in it, just put it on the metal, pull the trigger for maybe a second and let it go then move and do it again, if you quench the metal with water it will shrink it faster. The downside to this method is that you need to finish the back of the metal with undercoating. like i said before, lots of practice and lots of research.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search