Color matched spray paint? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Color matched spray paint?
Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:01 AM
Anyone know where to get color matched cans of spray paint, preferrably Pontiac red? I have seen stores around here with Chrysler and Ford red, but can't seem to find Pontiac red. I would think it would be easy to find, but it's not. I've tried searching online, too.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05

Re: Color matched spray paint?
Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:35 AM
Some auto paint supply stores can mix up spray paint and put it in a spray paint can for you. They just look up the mixing formula and mix a small quantity and put it in a spray can. Of course it won't have any hardener in it or it wouldn't keep. Tower automotive is one place that does it. tower automotive

http://victorylap.50webs.com
Autobody/ paint
Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:53 AM
Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:36 PM
go to napa, you'll get it in a 20oz. spray can usally about $15 but it matches perfect.. I bought many cans is my day... I would swear by it.

My Sunfire
Saturday, March 19, 2005 1:46 PM
What are you painting? Usually spraybombs never match since you cant get the airpressure as using an HVLP gun. Have an autobody jobber scan your paint with a digital paint scanner, even if there is paint fade its the closest you can get.

Sunday, March 20, 2005 5:44 PM
plus the spray bomb paint is very thin and not really good to use on the outside of a car. It is not durable and won't hold up real long. If the paint store mixes up an actual automotive paint like a single stage enamel and puts it in a can it will be better, but still not as good as it would be with a hardener mixed in, or not have the depth without clear coats over the top. Also still may be a little off because the color formulas for base and single stage use a different mixing system. If they mix up a base coat then you would need to spray clear over it for the gloss and protection. You best bet would of course to get a spray gun and use a basecoat clearcoat system, assuming that is what is on your car, because thats what all car manufacturers have been using the last 15 years. If its for some minor piece or something, go ahead and use the duplicolor spray bomb type crap, but its not the best paint, expecially if exposed to the elements.

http://victorylap.50webs.com
Autobody/ paint
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search