How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!! - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Friday, May 05, 2006 9:02 AM
sticky sticky sticky sticky, great write up

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi

Friday, May 05, 2006 9:16 AM
Hey...I've got a '99 sedan and I'm swapping a '95-99 Z24 fron bumper onto it. Is there any wiring involved with hooking up the fogs?

Can they just plug into the existing harness or will I need to do some splicing?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." -- Steven Wright
Friday, May 05, 2006 9:29 AM
Don't have to cut the brackets totally off for 95-99 swap. I did an 03+ swap and didn't have to cut mine totally off. You just notch them a little bit. Deserves a sticky.
Friday, May 05, 2006 4:25 PM
KreepyGuy wrote:Hey...I've got a '99 sedan and I'm swapping a '95-99 Z24 fron bumper onto it. Is there any wiring involved with hooking up the fogs?

Can they just plug into the existing harness or will I need to do some splicing?

no, there is nothing different between the 95-99 sedan(base) bumper to a 95-99 Z24 bumper.. only difference is that Z24 have foglights behind the bumper, which u dont need for the bumper..

thanks for the compliment guys and thanks for the info Roughed In

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:42 PM
Heads up - I have a 97 Sunfire, and the colors are the same like the 00-02 sunfire, pink, blue, and orange.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:31 PM
sorry to bump this up... but i have a 96 cavy with a 99 sunfire front end... and my sunfire wiring harnesses are the same as Lanman just posted... one has pink, orange and blue... and the other has dark blue, blue and pink...

the cavy wires are exact though... so i'm gonna go and wire them up according to the 00 - 02 sunfire harness and see if it comes out working correctly and try to let you guys know...

just a heads up like he said though...

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:08 AM
alright, just to make you all aware... some of the 95-99 sunfire's have the same harnesses as an 00-02 cavy and 03-04 sunfire...

all it is, is that the colors are not green, black and tan... so it does work just fine wiring them up as you would according to the 00-02 cavy wiring...

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:49 AM
thank you for teh verification.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:35 AM
great write up! all the info i needed. bit more involved then i thought, but i'm really determined to do a swap. now i just need to find the bumper i want. hard to get a front bumper at a junkyard in decent shape. thanks!!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:39 PM
Does anyone have the Part #'s for the 00-02 brackets for the corner markers? I've called up all my local pick n pulls and none of them have the brackets, so i gotta pay full dealership price.... but i need em.

Friday, May 19, 2006 3:23 AM
sorry no i dont.. u should be able to go to the dealership and asked them for the part numbers(if ur planning on gettin em from GMPD) or just get them through the dealer there.. also i would mkae sure there the right brackets and what not. they should have a computer that will pull up a diagram and then u just need to point out what ya need on it and they should be able to give u the # right there..

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:36 AM
Well yea i just got raped by the dealership , but the part #'s are

I have no clue which # corresponds to the left or right side. $28.24 per side and after tax came to $61 even and will be here monday.

There you go people who want the part numbers to buy them new.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:29 AM
i had an idea that popped in my head last nite. i'm gonna put an 00'-02 front bumper on my cav, but instead of swapping the headlights, i'm gonna try to get a small strip of lights to fill in the gap and use them as my turn signals. what do you all think of that? not sure how visible they'd be with the headlights on though.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:31 AM
So original! I had that idea last summer when I was thinkin' of puttin' 95-99 projectors with my 2000 bumper, lol. Good luck with it tho, if you try it

F/S: 2005 KAWASAKI ZX-6R 636, 1107ish Miles, $7500 OBO
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:56 AM
and i thought i'd be the only one to think of something like that. lol i'll be sure to post any pics if i pursue it.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:24 PM
It is possible to retain all stock functions when converting from 95-99 into 2K+, all you need is two relays.

Here are the instructions and a diagram for completing the 95-98 (99?) headlight conversion on Cavaliers into 2K+. Use this method if you have lost Daytime running lights, or you have one headlight dimmer than the other after attempting RK Sport's conversion. This will alow the lights to function as they did stock. You will have normal functions of Daytime running lights, low beams, high beams, and turn signals. You will need to purchase 2 relays, and better quality sockets ($6 a piece). DO NOT USE the cheap generic sockets provided by RK Sport which have 3 thin black wires, you risk eventual melting of the socket which could fry your headlight switch ($75) in the steering column.

After wiring, make sure and change your Left side headlight fuse if the drivers side lights were dim prior to this install. Take this one step at a time so you don't get confused hooking all these wires up. Use solder and heatshrink!

PASSENGERS SIDE: With flat part of plug up,
Pink to the left,
Both Orange to center,
Blue to the right.

DRIVERS SIDE: With flat part of plug up,
Pink to the left,
Center to 30 of relay #1,
Right to 30 of relay #2,
Blue (in loom with the pink) to 87a of relay #1,
86 and 87 of relay #1 to Orange,
85 of relay #1 to Blue (in loom with Orange),
86 of relay #2 to Orange,
85 and 87 of relay #2 to Blue (in loom with Orange),
87a is not used.

This is brought to you courtesy of JOSH KICHMAN, the electronics genius of Auto and Audio.

I used to answer questions on this conversion via email on an almost weekly basis. This has been in use on my car since the summer of 2004. There are only two individuals I know of who could not get this to work. As stated:
Manta Z(The Primered One) wrote:
First off, this is not something to be attempted by someone who doesn't know what their doing.

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum
Thursday, June 08, 2006 10:24 PM
Minetti, where do you buy the sockets? Part numbers maybe? I just picked up my type J today (Still need driver side headlight) and need to rewire the stuff.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Friday, June 09, 2006 5:51 AM
^^ I recommend not buying RKSports wiring pigtails.. maybe the universal ones at parts stores.. but i dont think u can go wrong if u get a harness off a junker and just cut the pigtails off and splice em into yours.. Just a suggestion and for anyone else in the future lookin to do this kinda thing

Thanks Mennitti for posting that.. in the original post i meant to link that and i forgot

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:50 AM
Anybody got pics of before and after on an 03 swaping with a 95-98
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:47 PM
03 what w/ a 95-98 what (and if it's a Cavi, they ran the headlights till 99, then changed them)

Saturday, July 01, 2006 9:00 PM
where can i get thos ebrackets for my new front 05 bumper that yall were talkign about

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:36 AM
Will an '03 Cav hood directly bolt on to my '99 Cav as long as I get the '03 bumper and headlights?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, August 14, 2006 6:14 AM
^ Yea, all the bolt holes are the same. You'll also need the 03+ latch on the hood - but I cannot say if the 03+ latch will reach the 00 clasp (part on the rad support). I have neither on my car, so yea...

>>> What a great place JBO is!! <<<

Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:10 PM
OK something i would like to bring up on the a swap on a 95-99 sunfire to a 00-02 cavy. IF your doing this swap idk if it was just me that ran into this problem but For the corner lights your going to need the pigtail from the donor car. That is the only wiring we had to do to mine. just match up the colors thats it. If this was posted somewhere on this sticky sry for reposting it.

Change is Currently in effect!!!
Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:30 PM
shouldnt have to.. all jbodies 3rd gen.. have a 3057 turnsignal.. which can just be transfered up..
95-02 Sunfire - in the bumper signals
95-99 Cavalier - in the bumper signals
00-02 Cavalier - in the corner signals
03-05 Cavalier - in the corner signals(not the small side marker)
03-05 Sunfire - in the Inside turnsignals

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search