Do others think z3 fenders are played out n tacky - Page 3 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Do others think z3 fenders are played out n tacky
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:01 PM
zyyaaaa: i think you were taking what i said personally, and it wasnt meant to be. although it was easy enough to just look down at your sig as i pointed those things out because they did pretty much apply to your car.

i was mainly trying to get at YOUR definition of rice. from what it sounds like, any modification that isnt specifically oriented towards better performance is "rice". so, as joey pointed out, by your own definition your car is rice. carbon fiber was originally meant to be painted, yet you decided to keep it unpainted so you could show it off at shows. so even if you claim it as weight savings, you still leave it unmolested for show, making it "rice" by your own words.

same deal with your rims. you could have chosen a silver or polished finish for a stock look. but you chose black to accent your car and c/f hood, presumably. making them a show item, even if you claim them for a wider stance. again, "rice" by your own standards. i was merely trying to point this out to you. that way you could either redefine your idea of "rice" or note your own "riceness"

what i will contest though is the idea of "looking fast". any true modder will know that a body kit does not equal fast. so the use of body kits should not make a car look fast. i mean up until our scene came along no one used body kits like this. 99% of these kits are designed solely for aesthetics. sure, you can say something about the big openings being good for an intercooler or whatever....but thats not what they were designed for. it was simply an afterthought. and hell, most body kits actually ADD weight to a car. a stock bumper might weigh a few pounds. but most glass kits and pretty much all urethane kits weigh more than that.

so maybe to you or some 16 year old kid a body kit makes a car look fast. but to anyone who knows anything about cars, they dont. and again, yeah, its opinion so im not gonna argue about it any more. but if you care to clarify what exactly is "rice" i'll be listening.

coming back in 2008...

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:44 PM
i have clarified my opinion and definition of 'rice' more than enough times for even a 6th grader to understand. i dont NEED to do it again.. but for the sake of trying to make my point, i will continue.

you say body kits are for nothing but looks. fine. this doesnt change the fact that the POINT of them is to change the apperance of the car to look more 'sporty', which suggests it should have more power than a normal car. say what you will, but this is FACT. its not just me and a 16 year old kid, its the very companys and manufactuers that actually MAKE these vehicles as well.

all you gotta do is look at factory made body parts, you dont really see the 'sporty' stuff on base model cars with the lower end engine. you see the fancier stuff on the cars with the biggest and best engine available, granted there are exceptions-the cobalt ss n/a version is a prime example, and to me is dealer 'rice'.

i will continue to fight for my hood as well...

why do u say carbon fiber is made to be painted? paint doesnt weigh NOTHING, would'nt it infact weigh down the hood even more to paint it? why would you paint it?

and rims, fine... yes, i bought them black to accent the car's black items. i will give you that, but like i said, i did not buy them just for that. i've had low profile tires on previous cars and loved the way they increase road feel and make the car handle much better so i put that experience to good use when i made the decision to purchase rims and tires. as i also stated i will be buying light weight rims next year, but i will also be having them colored black insted of the gun-metal they are only available in. thats the show car want coming out, i could very well just leave them alone... but im not building a race car here.

my definition of my car:

a car to drive around on nice days, drive to car shows and enjoy life in. its not a race car, nor just a show car, its my car. i take it to shows, but enjoy being able to mat the throttle and have some fun every once in awhile as well. a car that has a clean apperance but under the skin its all show with go to back it up. (of course i dont have all the go yet, but rome wasnt built in a day and neither will my car)

Friday, January 25, 2008 3:21 AM
what a thread and zyaaa is arguing with someone???

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:03 AM
who gives a sh*t! mod your damn car and shut up!

if u like it, buy it. if you don't, then don't. or buy it anyway. who cares!

if you have to ask people if you should do a mod! then you shouldn't be modding a car in the first place.

WI-Jtuners member
Friday, January 25, 2008 5:14 AM
^^ right. everyone likes their car the way it is or else it wouldnt be that way. call it what you want but thats what the owner likes. who cares what anyone else says about it.

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:17 AM
its hard to define something as rice if you can't really define the word rice itself. the meaning of rice has been changed so many times that the word is pretty much useless nowadays. everyone pics what they term it as based on when they heard it, now adays people seem to deem rice as whatever they dont like. my definition of it goes with sticking a turbo badge on a non turbo car. or putting stickers on a car with parts you dont have. but go back even further then that and it meant import cars, go back further to probalby the early 70's and it was meant as a japanese motorcycle. so using rice as word when that word has diffrent meanings to everyone out there is kinda pointless and useless.

and when did adding a body kit mean you were trying to make it look fast? if i was wanting a fast car i shure as hell wouldnt add 50lbs of worthless plastic to my car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, January 25, 2008 6:15 AM
like ive said over and over again.

everybody has their own definition of rice.

i am not denying this.

id like to know acctually, why DID you guys put body kits on your cars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 25, 2008 6:20 AM

Friday, January 25, 2008 6:23 AM
z yaaaa wrote:why do u say carbon fiber is made to be painted? paint doesnt weigh NOTHING, would'nt it infact weigh down the hood even more to paint it? why would you paint it?

seriously, paint for a hood would weigh about as much as or less than the weight of an ipod. paint really wont weigh it down.

z yaaaa wrote:id like to know acctually, why DID you guys put body kits on your cars?

my new kit i put on becasue I wasnt willing to go thru molding my old urethane Bigmouth kit. just too much involved.

i loved the clean subtle look of the bigmouth, but again, wasnt worth it to try and mold it into the widebody

and the fact I cant seem to keep a look for more than a few months until im looking to go bigger.

Friday, January 25, 2008 8:35 AM
z yaaaa wrote:you say body kits are for nothing but looks. fine. this doesnt change the fact that the POINT of them is to change the apperance of the car to look more 'sporty', which suggests it should have more power than a normal car. say what you will, but this is FACT. its not just me and a 16 year old kid, its the very companys and manufactuers that actually MAKE these vehicles as well.

i disagree completely with this. it is NOT a fact that body kits are meant to make a car look more sporty and therefore more powerful. they are meant to change the appearance, yes, but again, only a newb or someone not in the scene will equate a body kit with being fast. the two do NOT equal each other. a body kit is an aesthetic choice just like a set of rims are. rims dont make your car look fast, do they? you dont see someone with a set of MR7s on and think "damn! better stay away from that kia cause he must be mad fast, yo!" no, you dont. same thing goes for ANY.OTHER.MOD. now maybe if someone had a fake blow off valve hooked up on a stock n/a engine, that would be a different story. in that case they are trying to give the impression of more power through the use of imitating the sound of a turbo'd motor. big difference between that, and a simple kit.

z yaaaa wrote:id like to know acctually, why DID you guys put body kits on your cars?

why not? i like the styling. when i got my first kit it was back when there were about 5-8 styles of kits for the Js and they werent available for $300 shipped on ebay. back then you had to shell out upwards of $800 for a bomex replica (what i paid for mine back in the day---the original ran almost twice that!)

plus, modifying fiberglass is MUCH easier than modifying abs plastic like the stock bumpers. so first, the kit made the car stand out from the other million cavaliers on the road. then the extra work turned it into something completely different from the other 10,000 or so kitted cavaliers on this site. so it boils down to being different and making something unique and special and exactly like you want it. sculpting your own masterpiece, in a way.

i will tell you i sure as hell didnt do all of this work to my car to "make it look fast". it had the 2.4 engine stock, so it was peppy to begin with. but anytime someone would say "so man, you wanna race" even if it was against some POS that i knew i could beat, i would say "nah man, its just a cavalier".

but what i was getting at by asking if you would try and do a better job at actually defining your version of "rice" was so i could point out what you were saying: according to you, any mod to make a car look sportier is "rice." how many appearance mods can you think of that dont make a car look sportier? 99.99% of appearance mods are strictly for that....appearance. so by your definition, 99.99% of modified cars are "rice". to me, that makes no sense because whats the point of even terming something if everyone fits into that category?

and you can't seriously try to argue that c/f wasn't meant to be painted. in the past 8-10 years the import/tuner scene has made it acceptable to leave it as unpainted c/f. but like i stated, originally it was meant to be painted. that is an inarguable fact that is a part of racing history.

and sure, paint on a hood might weigh a few ounces. but originally the hoods were actual c/f not just c/f wraps like today. so they still weighed a dozen pounds or more less than what they do now, even with those extra 8 ounces of paint on them.

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 25, 2008 11:54 AM
(tabs) wrote:but anytime someone would say "so man, you wanna race" even if it was against some POS that i knew i could beat, i would say "nah man, its just a cavalier".

why? it's got just as much right to be there as anything else on the road. we do rather well on the street against other tuner cars. stock for stock OR mod for mod.

(tabs) wrote:but what i was getting at by asking if you would try and do a better job at actually defining your version of "rice" was so i could point out what you were saying: according to you, any mod to make a car look sportier is "rice."

no. according to me any mod that is tacky and does absolutly nothing but looks is rice, UNLESS you have the power to back up those TUNER looks. there's differences, you do the mini-truck thing your not really gonna be looked at as wanting to go fast or race, you do tuner-ish mods and you get looked at as though you would like to. the way i see your car tabs is 'mini-truck' because you've done a lot of custom mods that point towards that scene. DTP's old vert now your car, has tuner wheels and tuner lips on the bumpers.. there for it gives off the impression that its a 'tuner' car... so by that effect, it should be able to back up those looks.

too me, i see 'tuner' body kits, wheels... as stuff you put on to try and make it look fast. you put chrome wheels on, your obviously going for looks. you put gun-metal mr7's on your trying to make it look fast, but these are a ricer wheel as they actually make the car slower because usually they're heavier then what comes stock.

(tabs) wrote:and you can't seriously try to argue that c/f wasn't meant to be painted. in the past 8-10 years the import/tuner scene has made it acceptable to leave it as unpainted c/f. but like i stated, originally it was meant to be painted. that is an inarguable fact that is a part of racing history.

why would u paint carbon fiber? fine... weight may not be the issue, but function > form. race cars dont need to look good and match, therefore they dont need to paint over the cf weave. the tuner world saw the weave as a nice looking and to show off that you acctually HAVE a lightweight part on your car.

'tuner' has become a 'look' and in turn, a lot of it has been deemed rice now. 'tuner' should stand for function > form and not 'rice' like its revered as a lot in the automotive world.

listen, we all have different opinions of what things are in this world, this is simply mine. you and a lot of others say its wrong, but its the way i feel. we come from different parts of the country that have diffferent views on things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 25, 2008 11:57 AM

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:12 PM
z yaaaa wrote:why would u paint carbon fiber? fine... weight may not be the issue, but function > form. race cars dont need to look good and match, therefore they dont need to paint over the cf weave. the tuner world saw the weave as a nice looking and to show off that you acctually HAVE a lightweight part on your car.

look at formula cars....they obviously need to look good for sponsors....as most real "race" cars need to look. and yet they're made of carbon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 25, 2008 12:13 PM

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:37 PM
just look at it this way...

how many times did people screw with you while your car was stock? now compare that with the times they screwed with you when your car had rims, or a body kit... hell even just an aftermarket muffler.

(when i say 'screwed with' i mean trying to get to race)

i dont know about each and every one of you, but for me... the difference is astonishing. i get a-holes all the time who wanna race me and my car is stock-ish looking, i just ignore them and go about my way. one time one of them swerved at me so i blew by them and stopped in the middle of the intersection we were passing through and blocked him from continuing, got out... pulled the @!#$ out of his car through his driver window and told him to stay the F away from me. i never saw him again.

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:45 PM
^^^lol, no doubt about that. i cant even get off my street without some @!#$in tard reving at me like im gonna race him.

so i like to rev up next to them like we're gonna go to it, and once he punches it, i turn onto another street, lol. ive actually managed to get 2 guys pulled over for it

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:56 PM
all i hear is blah blah blah, bla bla blah bla blah

Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:29 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:all i hear is blah blah blah, bla bla blah bla blah

yeah, too overly-disputed...either you like the damn fenders or you don't..i think if the little vents in there actually function as something other than to look at then why not have them...and, Maken Waves....are you okay?? have you been anywhere to get an evaluation lately??
....i kid, i kid

Burning To Rise And Disprove All Who Would Take Comfort In My Demise -Divine Heresy
Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:13 AM
fr the last like , twenty post ive not read about the z3 fender issue , but personally if you like it buy me halls naw i aint gonna buy it. but im just one person
Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:34 AM
Just put the damn fenders on if you like em .... If you have to ask, the approval of others is way too important to you then your own personal enjoyment and satisfaction.
I agree the body kit thing is purely aesthetics; but relate to people revving on you. I've done the same thing at times and revved out pretending to wanna go then watch the idiot peel out. One time in the summer I had the windows open and I yelled GO! before the light went green and the fool took off LOL!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:13 PM
totally agree on everything except on point body kits are mostly for looks but a few few mind you actually help your race car <thats full blown 150 mph track car, stick to the corners better one company that comes to mind is top secret oh and c-west <some of them> and lol at stop light jackass
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search