All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks - Page 8 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks
Monday, March 01, 2010 5:14 PM
Nathan Dean (dxdean3) wrote:ok i got a question, i have a 98 sunfire with with a 99 GT front bumper, and im wondering if i can make it so the round orange marker lights come on instead of the headlights for drl's, like on some of the newer cars

You do realize it would be much easier to just disable your DRLs and drive with your parking lights on don't you?

Monday, March 01, 2010 6:49 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:
Nathan Dean (dxdean3) wrote:ok i got a question, i have a 98 sunfire with with a 99 GT front bumper, and im wondering if i can make it so the round orange marker lights come on instead of the headlights for drl's, like on some of the newer cars

You do realize it would be much easier to just disable your DRLs and drive with your parking lights on don't you?

Disable DRLs and wire parklights to ignition.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:34 AM
ok i think i may have wrote that funny lol, but i think i might just do that, and if i wire the parklight to the ignition the blinkers and everything should still work right? just making sure before i do it

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:27 AM
Yes they will still work.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:10 PM
Nathan Dean (dxdean3) wrote:ok i think i may have wrote that funny lol, but i think i might just do that, and if i wire the parklight to the ignition the blinkers and everything should still work right? just making sure before i do it

I still don't see how just disabling the DRLs and turning the parking lights on would be harder than wiring the parking lights to the ignition ?

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:05 PM
It`s just creature comfort. Your way, you have to turn on the lights every time you get in the car, my way you don`t have to do anything.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:13 PM
^and thats what im going for, because i hate the DRL's but i like just the parklights on, and plus where i live you have to have some kind of light on the front of your car on, wether it be headlights, drl's, parklights, ect.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:20 PM
One idea I've seen done this:

A guy rewired his DRL's to bypass the voltage limiter & instead of turning-on the hi-beams, it powered two separate pure-white LED strips that he tucked into the gap between the headlamp module & car's body pieces (fender, front bumper cover, grille...). It gave the effect that he had lighting like a Audi, but for far less money. Sorry guys... No camera on-hand, so no pics. But can you imagine it?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:11 AM
yeah that'd look pretty sweet

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:17 PM
bradsk88 wrote:It`s just creature comfort. Your way, you have to turn on the lights every time you get in the car, my way you don`t have to do anything.

You're right! It does take a lot of time and effort to turn the parking lights on every time you get in the car! And with your way you don't have to do anything (except mess with the wiring for your ignition!) .

I can't wait for the "HELP! I messed up my ignition!!!" post !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:18 PM

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:28 PM
God forbid I tell someone how to do something that they're asking how to do.

This thread is about @!#$ with the BCM. I think an ignition tap is pretty tame stuff in comparison.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:09 AM
i dont think i'd !@#$ up the ignition, i already have my aftermarket tach wired into the ignition for its power source

Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:49 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:You're right! It does take a lot of time and effort to turn the parking lights on every time you get in the car! And with your way you don't have to do anything (except mess with the wiring for your ignition!)
bradsk88 wrote:God forbid I tell someone how to do something that they're asking how to do.

This thread is about @!#$ with the BCM. I think an ignition tap is pretty tame stuff in comparison.

Wow! Calm down! It was a joke! Hence why I put the smiley.

J TO ENVY wrote:I can't wait for the "HELP! I messed up my ignition!!!" post!
Nathan Dean (dxdean3) wrote:i dont think i'd !@#$ up the ignition, i already have my aftermarket tach wired into the ignition for its power source

Once again... look at the smiley... I was joking !

And I will ignore the fact that you apparently have a huge tach on your dash .

Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:52 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:
Wow! Calm down! It was a joke! Hence why I put the smiley.

I thought you were using it to be condescending, my bad.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:28 PM
Nope. I just meant it like, "Yeah, it's so hard to turn a switch !"

Partly my bad too.

Water under the bridge .

Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:59 PM
so i have alredy done the drl disable and installed my hid's, but can anyone tell me how to stop the lights from flashing when i lock or unlock the car using the remote? 04 sunfire 2.2l
Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:05 AM
we really need a "So i installed HIDs and now i'd like my DRLs to work" thread. =P

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:35 AM
J TO ENVY wrote:And I will ignore the fact that you apparently have a huge tach on your dash .

its not that big, only a 3 3/8" and i had it for my s10 and then sold the truck and was stuck with the tach

Saturday, May 08, 2010 1:06 PM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:One idea I've seen done this:

A guy rewired his DRL's to bypass the voltage limiter & instead of turning-on the hi-beams, it powered two separate pure-white LED strips that he tucked into the gap between the headlamp module & car's body pieces (fender, front bumper cover, grille...). It gave the effect that he had lighting like a Audi, but for far less money. Sorry guys... No camera on-hand, so no pics. But can you imagine it?

I did the same things with the LED's but with red and hooked it up into a switch inside. It looks amazing!! i love it

this sticky helped wonderfully too! worked like a charm no complications at all
Tuesday, June 01, 2010 4:22 PM
I have a 2000 chevy cavalier, did the same exact thing you did but now my turn signal pops the turn signal does the running light is fine. all signals are fine but the front left not sure why...
Saturday, June 05, 2010 3:43 PM
did the drl defeat, works like a charm. thanks guys

Friday, June 11, 2010 7:39 PM
I am running into a problem with disabling my drl's. I have a '99 Cavy Z24 and can't figure out how to do it with the wiring diagram. Did the 4 headlight mod and fog mod no problem. But the harness is the forums picture looks nothing like the ones I have. Both the ones behind my steering wheel only have 8 wires each. Unlike the one in the forum having 12+. Thus I am unsure which one to snip. So I put everything back together. Took a couple pics tho. Click here to take a look.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=62720&id=1132114628&saved#!/photo.php?pid=1279378&id=1132114628&fbid=1452008296836
Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:57 PM
The harness you need to snip is actually the one that plugs into the back of gauge cluster.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:51 PM
When I go to find my BCM, I don't find it...
Instead a black box with some strange wiring, 2 purple fuses, a blue fuse, and a WHOLE bunch of wiring.
Did I mention I have an alarm hooked up?
Does anyone else with an alarm know what I'm talking about?
Monday, June 28, 2010 9:40 AM
Sounds like the alarm module is mounted up in the way of you getting to the Body Control Module... take a pic, if you can...

There are no fuses anywhere in a stock J-body other than the two fuse panels.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search