Wiring in Halos - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wiring in Halos
Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:04 AM
Hey guys, I'm about to pick up a set of projector headlamps with halos in them from Andy's Auto Sport. In the installation videos they wired the halos/LEDs into the parking lamps, but I want to wire mine into a source that is hot whenever the key is in the on position. I'm going to disable my DRLs and want the halos on whenever the car is on. What is the easiest thing to tap into?

Re: Wiring in Halos
Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:30 AM
Under hood fuse box has a few fuses that are hot in run.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:01 PM
Use the fuel pump relay.

Tap off the switched source of that and use it for your switch on a relay and power it from the relay. Always use a relay when adding onto the stock electrical system.
Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:17 PM
Philly D wrote:Use the fuel pump relay.

Tap off the switched source of that and use it for your switch on a relay and power it from the relay. Always use a relay when adding onto the stock electrical system.

What does wiring into a relay offer compared to just hooking up to any hot-while-on wire?

Monday, November 19, 2012 1:27 AM
Doesn't add any extra load in the wire. Halos are led so it shouldn't matter. Why not just add a resister to the halos and a relay and add it to your drl wire. They the halos go in with your car and off when your lights are on.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, November 19, 2012 6:49 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Doesn't add any extra load in the wire. Halos are led so it shouldn't matter. Why not just add a resister to the halos and a relay and add it to your drl wire. They the halos go in with your car and off when your lights are on.

Because I'm going to get HIDs eventually and I'm going to disable my DRLs. Plus I want the halos on whenever the car is on, not just when the parking lamps or DRLs are on.

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:27 AM
The reason you want to run a relay is so that its using the wire as a switch. The stock electrical system is marginal at best and undersized for just the stuff its trying to run.

Yes you can do it with not using a relay but its not much more work to do it right, and it will ensure no issues in the future.

http://www.mp3car.com/the-faq-emporium/117895-faq-relays-how-they-work-and-how-to-wire-it-up.html

What I did when I ran my intercooler pump is use the fuel pump relay as my switch and ran my main power from the fuse box power. The big wire bolted to the fuse box. Ran those down into the fender well and screwed my relay in there.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search