Looking for Expert Fiberglassing Tips and Procedures! - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking for Expert Fiberglassing Tips and Procedures!
Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:22 AM
Ok here's the deal I'm looking for exactly what the title says, I wanna merge two pieces of preformed fiberglass and I'm clueless on how to do so, so please anyone with lots of XP on this matter give me advice and step by steps stuff if you can. Thx a million.

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]

Re: Looking for Expert Fiberglassing Tips and Procedures!
Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:58 AM
I'm curious on this as well. My SS hood flew up on day and crack between layers and I need to fix it cause it's floppy. I'm thinking get some chop mat, resin and hardener and go to town. Made a hood scoop once with a metal hood and it adhered well. I'm not too experienced or I'd help more
Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:23 AM
Ninja Bling wrote:Ok here's the deal I'm looking for exactly what the title says, I wanna merge two pieces of preformed fiberglass and I'm clueless on how to do so, so please anyone with lots of XP on this matter give me advice and step by steps stuff if you can. Thx a million.

Scuff the two pieces and lay fiberglass mat and resin between them. Use wax paper for backing and go to town. Try to lay it as smooth as possible as it much easier to sand body filler than fiberglass lol.

Don't use too much hardener, my first batch of resin lasted about ten seconds lol. Order your supplies online as you will get better prices and selection compared to local chain stores. Buy a bunch of cheap paint brushes and gloves. Fiberglass resin is worse than pine sap as far as coming off. And invest in a respirator, you don't want small strands of glass in your lungs.

I've only worked with my old body kit but that should basically do it. Post up some pics and everyone can get a better idea of what you're doing.

Z24Sunfire wrote:I'm curious on this as well. My SS hood flew up on day and crack between layers and I need to fix it cause it's floppy. I'm thinking get some chop mat, resin and hardener and go to town. Made a hood scoop once with a metal hood and it adhered well. I'm not too experienced or I'd help more

Post up a pic but the main thing is to cut out all the bad fiberglass. You need to drill the ends of any cracks in the top layer as they will show through the paint and keep expanding if you don't. Same as what I stated above, scuff everything and put mat and resin where you need it.

Part of my experience...

Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:52 AM
I'll get pics in a second
Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:27 PM
Cool man, thx for the info, lol it's funny cause Y3llowCav said people are gonna wanna know what I'm working with lol, but I'm trying to keep it a secret lol

Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:28 PM
Lets just say I'm adding to the kits, nothing is broke...

Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:19 PM
Now...im extremely curious and your post will help me as well!
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:16 PM
LoL Ok ok ill have pics up in a few days on what i wanna do, and what i started to do.

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:41 AM
Here's what happened to my hood:

It's not horrible just floppy on the interstate
Friday, March 29, 2013 6:21 AM
hmm..still not sure exactly whats going on. You mean u wanna bond the two panels together that look separated? your going to need to use a 2 part panel bond adhesive for that. As far as all them other cracks n chips you have alot of body work ahead of you
Friday, March 29, 2013 7:33 AM
Oh man that sucks, but lets not thread jack here ok. Lol

Friday, March 29, 2013 9:34 PM
Ninja Bling wrote:Oh man that sucks, but lets not thread jack here ok. Lol

Sorry man, not trying just cruisin4drcav wanted pics to inform me how to fix it...i am finished, but still waiting patiently on the kit you are making but im contemplating making my own lip for mine
Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:08 PM
probably best to post pictures.... if you dont want to show your project because you want it to be a secret, then post area pictures of what you're trying to achieve.

Based on experience I can help however I can... every body panel on my car was modified one way or another except roof and driver side quarter panel, and from what I gather you're wanting to do.... my rear bumper is 3 styles all combined into 1... so I have an idea what advice you'ree looking for.

And post in here so more people can chime in.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:18 PM
No doubt man thx, I'll post picks tomorrow, just got back from an epic car meet

Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:27 PM
And z24- no worries man, I'm just trying to get some solid tips =]

Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:09 PM
I've got ya, I'll sit tight and wait and learn from your tips
Monday, April 01, 2013 2:50 PM
ok heres my idea for the front bumper:

i was thinking bout using foam to fill up the cardboard tube, cut all the rods to fit in the way i want. Ill take two pieces of flat cardboard to shape the top and bottoms of the main grill opening. then staple the tubes the way i want between the card board. then fiberglass everything. so at the end of it ill have like a big insert, then fiberglass the insert to the bumper. (there will be 3 inserts for the whole front.)

What do you think? And Any Advice?

Ill have more Pics of the side and rear later, and what i want to do to those lol.
Thx Guys

Monday, April 01, 2013 3:55 PM
Now for The rest of the kit:

I Want to take these two "buldges" and put them on the drift sides and TSC rear:

Thes will go on the front of the drift sides:

And the will go on the rears (edge facing the wheel):

So I got ready to cut

with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TshCL0V44MA
(I know I sound like a retarded bane LoL)

and got this:

Now I know im going to have to trim the 4 budlges down a bit to fit better, ill have pics of that sometime next weekend.

Hows that for photos =]

Monday, April 01, 2013 4:05 PM
Gonna be so sick. X2 on a respirator. It doesn't seem like you'll need it but you really should.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:29 PM
Time for More Photos LoL
Remember that I still have to trim the pieces to fit better, and also the mock ups are us just holding the kits.

A full shot

(cmac couldn't hold the right side of the black piece up lol)

Lots of trimming needed on this piece

Comments Welcome (well the nice or informative ones at least)

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:33 PM
Now some trunk love lol

Going to paint the trunk rally yellow to match and im leaving the wing black
in the next pic I know its hard to see the wing but this is a mock up of it on the car

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:55 AM
I like it! I want a yellow cav
Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:31 PM
Lol so can anyone help me out with this? Tips, step by step, or vids would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:40 AM
Bump

Come on guys I need help, the only tip I got was from crusin4drcav, I gotta get going on this and I need to know what I'm going to need besides the basics, also gonna need more tips and warnings about what not to do....
Thx

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:35 PM
This fall I'm taking a class on composites which includes glass fiber. If it can wait ill let you know after that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search