How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!! - Page 12 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:48 AM
Quote:

if you own a 95-02 Sunfire, or 00-05 Cavalier, and want to do a 00-05 Cavalier or 95-02 Sunfire conversion.. you don't need to do any wiring! The headlight bulbs are all 9007 for those grouped of 3rd Gens.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:18 AM
do i have to swap the cavi front end over with all the bumper hardware or can i get away with just replacing the bumper cover?
Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:38 AM
front end swap = fenders, hood, lights, bumper, latch, inner liners, ect.
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:20 PM
I'm confused on how to do the wiring of the headlights. I have a 96 chevy cavalier and I want to do the 00-02 front end conversion. I understand how mine has 4 wires (2 positive and 2 ground) per headlight for the lows and highs and the 00-02 headlights has 3 wires (2 ground and 1 positive). So when I get the bulb socket from the 00-02 cavy headlight how would I wire that up to my car? I'm not trying to do anything yet till I know exactly what I'm doing and it's just the wiring of the headlights that's holding me back from doing this right now.
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:48 PM
Hector Roman wrote:I'm confused on how to do the wiring of the headlights. I have a 96 chevy cavalier and I want to do the 00-02 front end conversion. I understand how mine has 4 wires (2 positive and 2 ground) per headlight for the lows and highs and the 00-02 headlights has 3 wires (2 ground and 1 positive). So when I get the bulb socket from the 00-02 cavy headlight how would I wire that up to my car? I'm not trying to do anything yet till I know exactly what I'm doing and it's just the wiring of the headlights that's holding me back from doing this right now.

Never mind on what I just posted I reread the wiring part I understand the part for the ground on how to wire them up but then that leaves 2 positive wires (1 from the low and 1 from the high beam) to connect to the 1 positive wire on the 00-02 bulb socket. So does it matter which positive wire I use and just leave the other 1 without connecting it to anything? Or can I wire both positive wires to the one positive wire on the socket?
Friday, June 28, 2013 1:55 AM
Manta Z(The Primered One) wrote:

95-02 Sunfire
- 95-02 Sunfire Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 95-02 Front Bumper
- 95-05 Fenders
- 95-02 Sunfire Hood
- 2 x 9007 High/Low Beam Bulbs
- 2 x 3157 Turn signal Bulbs(any 3rd Gen has these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- 2 x 194 Bulbs for turn signals(any 3rd Gen(except 00-02 Cavaliers) have these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- From the donor car's wiring harness, or two 9007 headlights sockets(unless you have a 00-05 Cavalier, these already use this bulb for headlights) and two 194 corner light sockets(Only needed if you have a 00-02 Cavalier, all the rest have this bulb already wired on your side markers or part of your turn signals)

Okay I know this thread is a few years old, but Ive never done the conversion from an 03+ backwards by myself. if I could get an outright answer without have to read through 14 pages of wiring questions and issues regarding cavaliers though I would greatly appreciate it. I want to go from an 03 sunfire, to a 01 GT front end.
Question #1: Front Bumper.
I am going to have to order the front bumper cover as no yards within 100 miles of me have a GT model that I need to take it from. Can I use the bumper support/crush guard, and brackets from the 03? If not, can I use them from any 95-02 sunfire, or do I need to find them from a 00+GT?
Question #2: Fenders.
Are all 2door 95-02 fenders the same as the 03 fenders?
Saturday, August 10, 2013 1:31 PM
i am doing a front end swap on a 98 cavalier z24. i have read through this sticky and cant find anyone who has had the same problem. i am converting from the 98 front end to an 03 front end, i have done all the body mods but the lights are giving me trouble. i am using the method that uses two relays for the drivers side. when in park and running the lights work except for the high beam on the driver side and when i put it into drive it blows the driver side light fuse. i have also attempted to run the wires straight matched with grounds to grounds and positives to positives like the passenger side is run, this way everything works but when i put it into drive it again blows the driver side headlight fuse. i am lost at this point and if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated
Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:03 AM
Connect the two factory grounds from the car to the ground on the headlight pigtail. Then connect the high beam wire from the car to the high beam pigtail wire and the same for the lows.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:06 PM
the headlight has two ground wires(it is a 9007) and on my year the positives run constant power and the grounds switch on and off to change current so i don't think running the two grounds together would work. what i ended up trying today was not using the extra relays and only running the low beam positive to the pigtail and the grounds to the grounds on the pigtail. i just put heat shrink over the high beam positive (did this on both sides), and everything works right high beam, low beam, markers, and fogs. what it seems like it did was bypass the DRL and when i put it in drive with no lights on the green light on the dash lights then flashes but if i turn the lights on on the switch that goes away and no more blown fuses. i think i'm just going to deal with the light till i have the time to do the true DRL disable which should stop the light from coming on.
Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:00 PM
Hey were did you get the 05 halo headlights?
Thursday, February 05, 2015 12:41 PM
Sorry if it was answered but 12 pages makes things start blurring together. Have an 02 cavy base 4 door. I want to get the fog lights bumper which seems to be alot cheaper for 2 door. Is there really a difference. They look the same in pictures....

Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:16 AM
i don't think there is any difference, especially seeing that the hood, fenders, and even the trunk lid are the same from 2 door to 4 door. I cant think of why one would be cheaper than the other in all honesty.
Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:07 PM
Hello, i am looking into either trying to retrofit projectors into my 02 cav or get 99 headlights instead. One thing i am confused about tho is can i just replace my 02 bumper for a 99 bumper and be able to use the 99 headlights? Or would i need to do more. I read the entire post but got a little confused... also tried searching but was so many post i couldn't find the answer i need. So sorry if it is a repeat question... i tried searching for over an hour
Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:12 AM
As I recall (somebody can verify?) Cav fenders are one type, Sunfires are a different type. Years don't matter, except that 95-99 Cav had an extra tab for the corner lights, that 00-05 Cavs don't have. But I'm 99% sure 95-05 Fires use one type of fender...
Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:38 AM
That is right cavaliers 95-99 and 00-05 where Sunfire are 95-05. Only thing iv ran across when rebuild Sunfire was I picked up an older used fender that had a body molding mounted on it where the newer style on the 05 that did not have the mount hole for the molding. I believe there are two style moldings on the sunfire fenders. So I ended up buying an different fender so I didn't have to mess with the molding.
Monday, May 02, 2016 11:53 PM
Any one selling a 04 trunk bezel, trying to get rid of this red filler
Saturday, August 27, 2016 1:06 PM
I didn't see anything pertaining to hood latches, might've overlooked it but just to clarify. Does a 95-02 hood work with the 03-05 hood latch?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search