1st Time Paint Repair - Problem - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1st Time Paint Repair - Problem
Friday, June 21, 2013 2:36 PM
Well, in my naive attempt to save money I attempted to repair peeling clear coat on my own; as I should have expected, I messed it up. Here are a before and after picture.

So I've come here to see if anybody would be able to give me an tips fixing or hiding this seam; or to find out if it needs to be re-painted.

Thanks

Re: 1st Time Paint Repair - Problem
Friday, June 21, 2013 2:42 PM
try using 600 grit to get rid of the picture frame without going into the paint itself then scuff the whole roof and re clear the entire panel

Re: 1st Time Paint Repair - Problem
Friday, June 21, 2013 2:51 PM
The reply above is your best option. Wet sand the frame ridge off with soapy water. The water helps to clean the paper and make it more plyable, though I would use less aggressive paper than 600 grit or start with 600 and then cut with 800, then 1000. Next spray then entire panel. OR to answer your question directly, wet sand the frame ridge with 1000, then 1200, then 1500, then 2000. All that sanding can only be done if the clear is on heavy and thick enough to prevent from sanding through the clear. Afterward, machine buff the entire panel with a medium, then fine polishing compound, followed by swirl remover. Finish up with a protective coat of wax. Its a long process if you really want to get high quality professional results which is why most guys will either live with it, or refinish the entire panel so they don't have tape lines like you do, to deal with.

Hope that helps and it turns out well for you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search