Spolier Part confirmation? Autocross spoiler? - Page 3 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Spolier Part confirmation? Autocross spoiler?
Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:14 AM
It replaces the OEM spoiler.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:05 PM
So this spoiler really isn't addressing 'cleaner' aerodynamics, its just for styling? (which is fine lol just what I was trying to figure out)

If anything it would create more drag/turbulence at the already poorly shaped rear of our cars. The only benefit I can really see is an increase in downforce on the back end, but if you're adding turbulence you really aren't going to gain 'time' because the car will have to work harder to move forward.

I remember reading about wind tunnel tests somebody did on the Js somewhere, and the Sunfire and Cavalier coupes both tested at .362 and .365(.36 and .37) with stock spoilers and fascia/body kits.

They then ran a test of a Cavalier that had been modified with a Sunfire nose and got a rating of .343(.34) which is better. Their determination was that the sunfires spoiler being at the base of the window creates an extra 'step down' or turbulence pocket. (normally a fastback style car without a hatchback[has a trunk] would have a small pocket where the window meets the trunk) with the sunfire you not only have a pocket where the window meets the spoiler, it adds a pocket between the spoiler and trunk not allowing the air to flow smoothly off the back causing turbulence/drag.(this is probably why you don't see more cars with this style.)

On the other hand, the cavalier's spoiler creates a smooth sharp edge which is the desired shape for the airflow to drop off the back of the vehicle, rather than rolling off a rounded surface causing a swirling/turbulence effect. This was then loosely compared(im assuming for reasoning purposes) to the back of some of the high MPG import cars from the mid-late 90s that are more squarely shaped in the back(don't think square like a block, just think more square than round). Every one has a 'square back' and the bumper sits closer to the trunk area. Since ours is round, thats as 'squared off' as you can get with stock made parts unless you wanna cut and body mod.

They said the reason the cavalier isn't outright better is because of the shaping problem with the cavalier that takes place in the front where the nose of the hood rolls down. It creates an unnecessary disruption in the airflow, thus causing more than a desirable amount of drag at the nose of the car, which also reduced the amount of desired drag(downforce) over the hood(compared to the sunfire)

So they concluded the ideal Jbody setup for what they had produced from GM, would have been a Sunfire shaped front, and a cavalier shaped back, with cavalier spoiler.

I was surprised they didn't mention anything about the trunk, because Ive heard on here that the only sunfire/cavalier trunks that were interchangeable was with a sunfire that was a 4door.

wow.... I got typing way more than I intended. sorry guys :/ at any rate, I love this spoiler, its just not what I need.
Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:47 PM
o rly?

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:45 PM
Hmm...I just had the spoiler holes filled, but I think that would look nice more towards the rear. Eh, hard to justify $400 though.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:31 PM
I agree lol I almost like it where that guy in the picture(with the red car) is holding it. Id have to see it from a straight on point of view to see if there would be a gap between it and the trunk or if it would lay flat.

Like the other guy said, don't pay 400$, its new OLD stock. Negotiate, or find someone or a dealership who will because at this point(2012), that kind of stuff is probably just going to be in their way.
Friday, June 28, 2013 4:51 PM
wow! that looks sick! I was jw if the list of part #s are the same for 03-05. Did they added anymore parts in other years or lip and spoiler is it for body parts?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search