side skirt fitment - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
side skirt fitment
Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:36 AM
i have an 03 base model cavalier and im adding all the ls sport stuff. everything else is on but the side skirts and i was wondering if anyone had any idea how to mount them up...

Re: side skirt fitment
Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:10 PM
You have to drill holes. I just changed bumpers and added skirts to a 05. I removed the clips then held up the sides with a floor jack in front and back, marked holes in wheel wells and installed those two screws. Remove the screws and drop the skirts. Put masking tape on rocker panels and on skirts above clips. Use a square to draw lines from center of holes in skirts to top of skirt. Reinstall skirts with the 2 screws. Transfer center lines on top of skirts to tape on body. Also mark the height of the skirt on the body. Remove skirts. Measure from center of each hole to edge of skirt and record each measurment. Each hole is a different distance. Mine was like 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1,1, 7/8, 3/4. Square a center line down from your mark on the body which should be the center of the holes. Next measure down from your height mark the corresponding dimension at each hole on the skirt. Center punch each hole and drill 7/16" holes. Then remove tape and paint the holes to avoid rust, let paint dry. Install clips and install skirts. Next use self taping screws and large washers on under side of car. Remove screws and paint holes/let dry. Put some silicon on screws and tighten screws untile the just touch bottom of skirt. If you tighten screws Tight it will pull the skirt away fron the rocker panel. Don't worry about the screws being tight, the silicon will hold them in place so they won't come loose.
Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:02 PM
Does this apply for the 00-02 side skirts as well? I know my local guru Lenko said that it truly is a pain in the ass to install side skirts onto a base cavalier. Because I just picked up a pair of these side skirts for free and I already have the 02 LS Sport Lip attached to my front bumper and a way of getting the 02 LS Sport Rear lip. I wouldn't mind having a 01 cavalier with a VL Sport package lol.
Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:41 AM
I would say 95-05 would be a similar process. I know the old z24 skirts are open on the bottom and the 03-05 fully cover the back rocker area but the 00-02 not sure if they are designed any differently. I found it pretty easy to install the skirts. I've done a 98 z24 and a 05 LS sport. Just get over the idea "omg" I gota drill a hole in my car. Look at it this way, if you drill the holes in the wrong place just mig weld them shut and start over. The skirt covers the rockers so if you have to weld holes shut nobody will ever know, not like you'd have to do body work just paint over bare metal with a paint brush. With the off and on process it probably only took me a hour a side to fit mine up. Letting the paint dry overnight and final install the next morning. Less than 3 hr work time.
Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:44 AM
Great write up Guys,

Would anyone have a link for the clips that snap into the rocker panel and support the skirt?

All info welcome

MikeyG

Saturday, August 17, 2013 7:25 PM
I did manage to find some info for the clips

GM is 16616138 - discontinued but replaced by 22658182

DTR Motors 22658182

Industrial Parts House 1330572

Kent automotive KT11300

Clips & Fasteners A19008

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:00 AM
All you need is a few dabs of urethane front center and back to stick it to your rocker panel which should be thoroughly cleaned with solvent before applying and two small screws at each end going into the fender wheel well , enjoy!

BLACKMANTIS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search