tinting tail light - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tinting tail light
Monday, May 27, 2013 9:41 PM
So how would i go about tinting the tail lights because my model has the long tail like that goes across the entire trunk, most tints you buy are sheet made big enough for 1 light, no big piecesso would i jsut have to over cross 2 pieces?

Re: tinting tail light
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:56 AM
just use the spray on taillight tint... comes in a spray paint can at most auto parts stores, theres VHT or rustolium products usually
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:29 PM
if ur going to use the vht nightshades stuff....dont just use that..Make sure you clear out over top of it or else its gonna be dull and crappy looking.
When i used to do them i would scuff the lense with a grey scotch pad and then spray the night shades stuff and then scuff em again and clear em.
You can also mix some black in some clear and do it that way.
Friday, June 07, 2013 2:31 AM
VHT THEN CLEARCOAT TAIL LIGHTS AND PAINT TRUNK BEZEL TO COLOR MATCH THE CAR.

BLACKMANTIS
Friday, June 14, 2013 2:39 PM
okay i have a question about this. i did everything correctly and i buffed and everything and it didnt come out to that glass like finish...what did i do wrong?
Friday, June 14, 2013 4:50 PM
a pic would go so much further than just text. take a few witht he lights off and on so we can actually see what it looks like.
Friday, June 14, 2013 5:46 PM

Did they come out anything remotely to this?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:45 AM
I plasti- dipped mine... very easy to do and hard to mess up.... also if i ever want to go back to stock all i have to do is peel it off

Erik Packard
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:46 PM
robs picture clearly shows the worst way to do it. no offence if that is your car, sir.

night shades needs clear coated. unless of course you prefer the un-finished and dull look....

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:25 PM
Yeah rob yours is fine but if you want to give it a factory shiny appearance take a grey scotch brite pad over that, wipe it and clear it
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:27 AM
It is cleared. I think it was the clear I used. They were sanded with 2000 grit. I think I used a Satan clear. It is super smooth, It was done 4 years ago or so.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:42 AM
See they are really smooth. I sanded of the dot on the sides. I even did the headlights but those I used a gloss clear I think.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:29 PM
100% it's the clearcoat you used.

You could try to wet sand them with some 1000 or 1500 grit wetsand paper to bring some shine back.

(Be gentle.)

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:33 PM
It was never really shiny. I actually liked it. I figured if I wanted a high gloss I could always get gts covers. It matches all the other black trim on the car. Nothing is shiny. Maybe I'll make everything really shiny after I paint it.

Friday, August 30, 2013 12:52 PM
With VHT, the VHT finish needs wet sanded with 2000 grit, and then polished with a paint polish. It will gleam like glass. Then, you need to use a gloss finish clear coat, and the same methods. 2k wet sand, and polish. Repeat the process a few times to smooth out dimples and to gain gloss.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Friday, August 30, 2013 11:55 PM
First off you should check with your state laws so you don't get pulled over for tinting your tail lights.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:52 AM
Adam wrote:First off you should check with your state laws so you don't get pulled over for tinting your tail lights.

Pretty sure that this 'visual enhancement' is 50 state illegal, sort of how every tint darker than 20% is illegal to have on front glass. It all depends on how the law enforcement is in your area and if you are willing to pay the price when you get pulled over for it. My truck has 5% tint and smoked tail lamps. Been good since 2009, if my day comes, then I will pay the price and possibly remove the items.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:08 AM
its definitely illegal to tint your tail lights. at least it is here in iowa and im pretty sure most states. its called "use of light restricting device" and ive gotten plenty of tickets for it. obviously the amount of darkness used is gonna be officer descretion but really, they love generating revenue so anything will get you a ticket.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search