Need the link for the convertible window sweep replacement steps..... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need the link for the convertible window sweep replacement steps.....
Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:51 AM
I have seen the link several times but have been searching all morning with no luck. I need to know how to remove the trim pieces that the window sweeps are attached to. I have purchased the recommended window sweep replacement rubber, but I cannot figure out how to remove the trim. There was a how-to post that included photos of the step by step removal. No matter how much effort, I simply cannot figure out how to detach it. Thanks.

Re: Need the link for the convertible window sweep replacement steps.....
Monday, February 02, 2015 7:00 PM
So you are talking about the black trim piece that goes on the top of the panel before you see the glass? Usually those are just J hooked in. but check for rivets in the door or screws on the sides.
Wednesday, February 04, 2015 5:01 AM
Nicholas, yeah, I know they are clipped and also screwed in one spot. But getting to the screw and getting the clips off isn't that easy. There is a pretty involved process and somebody had posted a picture tutorial, but I can't locate it. On the convertible it involves dismantling a lot of the rear quarter window and interior trim.
Sunday, March 01, 2015 10:24 AM
i had a shop replace mine i attempted it but my 'vert bested me and i ended up forking over an arm, leg and soul for the replacement.
Monday, March 09, 2015 8:35 AM
I finally completed the project. It was actually not that difficult at all. I really should post a picture tutorial, because using the sweep material that has been discussed on the forum previously, I was able to do one rear quarter panel in just about an hour. You do NOT have to remove the glass, and it's quite simple to apply the new sweep material. You basically just remove the interior trim that contains the speaker, disconnect the speaker, remove a couple of window brackets, pull the window back to expose the screw, unscrew it, knock off one rivet that holds a piece of rubber from the door to the trim, remove the trim piece. It is held in place by two clips in the back, one screw in the front (on the inside). Once the trim piece is off, I just popped out the old brittle sweep material, cut a piece from the new material, drilled small holes in the trim and sweep, riveted it in place (with a manual riveter), then put it back together. EASY. I'll post pics when I do the other side.
Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:58 AM
goot information, i also had to deal with this when i fiberglassed my interior.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search