Flat Black - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flat Black
Monday, February 25, 2008 10:53 AM
So with my tax return this year, i think im going to be sending my car into the body shop and getting everything done right. Doesn't really matter how much it costs, i just want it done right for once so all i need to do is clean it, and not come up with excuses why my side skirts look like @!#$, why my bumper is cracked, and why i have no mud flaps. (Mind you i bought the car with the kit jimmy-rigged from a previous owner, and i knew nothing about this stuff at the time) I am going to be putting the car back to stock, mostly. Im thinking the z24 front with WW lip, Z stock sides, and buddy club rear.

Well here is my question, what should i ask for to get a nice flat black? Im thinking flat black like:

------ or

------ or

I have no idea what color code i would ask for, and for the specifics as well. Would i just ask for a flat black with clear?
I don't like the flat blacks that when they get a little spit of mud, the water diffuses through the paint, and ends up looking like a huge period spot. (eew).

Any photos, suggestions, and tips would be much appreciated so that when i go to get my estimate i will know exactly what to ask for, and exactly what to cover before i get something i don't want.

Thanks everyone!

(I know there is a sunfire out there that is the flat black i like, and it has the canards as well, if i could see more pictures, it would be great!!)

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(

Re: Flat Black
Monday, February 25, 2008 11:02 AM
theres a thread like 3 down from yours with plenty of pics/info

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:10 AM
hm. i didn't really find any useful information on what to talk to body shops about in that post.

I'm back from the dead.
Monday, February 25, 2008 11:16 AM
hmm that wide body s15 is pretty hot

http://members.cardomain.com/yellow05cavy
Monday, February 25, 2008 1:38 PM
That is Satin black, not flat black.

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:20 PM
I think it will look sweet flat black! There was a new civic SI at sema that was gloss black with flat black hood, roof and trunk. it looked pretty sweet!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:28 AM
dupont has a "Hot Hues" line that has a single stage flat black. the end result looks nice, but scratches show up in it (especially when your g/f has cats). its really a better alternative to the epoxy primer alot of people use though. you can also ask to have it painted black with a satin clear. i have the hot hues on my car, but im goin with the satin clear soon, it gives alot more protection.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:51 AM
THanks alot for your input, guys. This is really helping, im taking notes!

I'm back from the dead.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:09 AM
My question would be if painting it like that costs less then a regular "shiny" paint job.... I'm planning on having my car painted that way if I ever have it repainted.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:09 PM
its about the same price. to get a good paint job, you still need basecoat/clearcoat, so its a matter of taste really.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:16 PM
that silvia is sexy...i also have thought about flat black with some graphics, it would make them stand out real nice

http://members.cardomain.com/freakycavy

Saturday, March 01, 2008 9:45 AM
Freak of Nature(1loudcavy) wrote:that silvia is sexy...i also have thought about flat black with some graphics, it would make them stand out real nice

Kinda like having them behind the clear with another satin paint?

I'm back from the dead.
Saturday, March 01, 2008 11:03 PM
Wow.... never knew how popular Flat Black was....

And I really wanted it too

G5CLUB.net
Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:04 AM
wow i can't believe it almost costs the same as a normal paintjob. spending all that money to have your car look like primer. and that evo about made me barf. i like the old school look but on an evo it just looks like the guy is really confused.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search