removing tar from the under side of my car and exhaust? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
removing tar from the under side of my car and exhaust?
Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:10 AM
What is the best way to get tar off of stainless exhaust? I just installed my exhaust last week and that same day it got covered with road tar. I would like to get it back to as nice and shiney as possible. I would also like to get it off the underside of the car as well. Would I just be better off leaving it and just spraying underbody coating?

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Re: removing tar from the under side of my car and exhaust?
Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:37 AM
way to go......

bug and TAR remover usually works well.

your gunna be scrubbin for a LONG time.

might also try paint thinner on the exhaust.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:54 AM
would a low heat from a propane bottle torch help in getting it off? something that won't effect the metal but maybe get the tar off of it?

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:10 PM
i think its probably baked on the exhaust by now.....i would under coat the car personally

Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:55 PM
the only thing your propane torch is gunna do is catch your carpets on fire.....

i would try to avoid it.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:29 PM
Holy Hell, that's a lot of tar !

I would recommend trying a clay bar. The clay bar works great at getting tar off the paint of the car, so it's at least worth a try on the exhaust and underbody. Good luck... you're gonna need it.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:50 PM
go to wal-mart... buy a couple 'bug scrubbers'. essentially what they are is a foam piece wrapped in a soft meshy fabric that really cuts the bugs off... but what ive found for its uses go far beyond just getting bugs off, they work REALLY well on getting tar and road grime off as well. use in conjunction with a nice sudsy bucket of soapy water and some elbow grease and that stuff should come right off. and if it doesnt... CARB SPRAY!!!!!! works well and wont eat clear coat, not that there is any on the undercarriage anyways....

the 'bug scrubbers' are around $1.00 each IIRC.

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Friday, September 26, 2008 7:25 AM
actually I think they are pot scrubbers meant for the kitchen, but yes, they work.

I wouldnt use carb or brake clean on the exterior shiney parts.....but underneath, hells yeah.

Friday, September 26, 2008 9:35 AM
I'd leave the tar on the underbody . Makes a nice rustproofing. But I got tar on my stainless muffler last year and it got on my side skirts also. Never noticed it till i got in my driveway after a 2 hr drive, and it was on there good. took me 6 hrs too clean it all up. I am a clean freak when it comes to my car. I started with car wash soap on a old wash mit I had and that never did anything. So i started getting really freaked out that I wasn't gonna get this off, then I sprayed tire shine on the side skirts and it started to come off alot better. So i sprayed the whole muffler and sides with tire shine till it was dripping and the tar started to break down into a liquid and came off awsome. Use old towel or soft rag to wipe it all off.

Proud member since 99
Friday, September 26, 2008 7:53 PM
rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.
works wonders. spray and wipe. takes a few minutes.
Wednesday, October 01, 2008 7:40 PM
I think it looks kinda cool like that LOL

Anyways, lots of good advice here, except for the torch thing... don't torch the underneath of your car please :p

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 11:44 PM
varsol and a rag works on paint and the exhasut
Friday, October 03, 2008 1:53 PM
John Benham wrote:actually I think they are pot scrubbers meant for the kitchen, but yes, they work.

I wouldnt use carb or brake clean on the exterior shiney parts.....but underneath, hells yeah.

the ones im thinking of are larger and are meant for bugs. ever been to a gas station and use the squeegee on your bug covered windshield, you scrub it with the one end... that end is a sponge deal wrapped in a fabric mesh. exactly like the scrubbers im referring to.

and why not carb spray? ive used it on my paint SEVERAL times, doesnt hurt it one bit. takes tar and road grime right off and leaves the paint flawless. brake clean.. not so sure about...i dont think ive ever used that on paint.

Monday, October 06, 2008 12:38 PM
The absolute best stuff I have ever found for removing tar is Turtle Wax brand Bug and Tar remover. It is in a black bottle with a green and yellow label. It is what I use on my car. The great thing about it is the ease of use and that it does not strip the wax off your painted areas.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:28 PM
karo we use it at work to get undercoating tar off of the wheel lips works great. i know it's not the best for a paint job butt this is the exhaust take a crappy wash cloth soak it in karo spray some on the tar and let it sit for a min then scrub away. it'll come off.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:35 PM
wd40 and a little man power

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:37 PM
z yaaaa wrote:
and why not carb spray? ive used it on my paint SEVERAL times, doesnt hurt it one bit. takes tar and road grime right off and leaves the paint flawless.

I thought I was crazy for using it on the Sh!tfire for certain things, do not let sit though, spray-and-wipe!

I wash my hands with carb cleaner. Stuff is so universal it's not funny.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search