What's needed to lift my car? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What's needed to lift my car?
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:30 AM
Yes I'm serious, do I need a diff kind of strut or what?

Re: What's needed to lift my car?
Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:27 PM
some of the guys that wheel subarus run spacers above the strut top hats. your biggest issues will be clearance in the rear as the torsion beam will pivot forward moving the tire closer to the body (much like extreme lowering) and cv angles on the axles in the front.

subaru guys run spacers between the subframes (front and rear) to alleviate the cv issues but i'm not sure that would work in a j-body.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:43 PM
your deffintley going to need a different kind of strut and i would guess new springs
Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:50 PM
Just being nosey, but why are you lifting it?

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:00 PM
Strut spacers, or coil spring spacers. It's how Suzuki.and Jeep guys do a budget lift.

By any chance are you trying to do something like this?

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:01 PM
red 03 cav wrote:Just being nosey, but why are you lifting it?

just a few ideas I'm toying with

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:03 PM
Jookycola wrote:Strut spacers, or coil spring spacers. It's how Suzuki.and Jeep guys do a budget lift.

By any chance are you trying to do something like this?

Maybe

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:42 PM
1997 Cavalier ZR-24 Moab Concept

Hard to get any technical specs of this car now, but i'm fairly sure it's a 2 1/2 inch lift using longer shocks, regular oem cavalier struts with a strut spacer, and longer springs from a Lumina.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:16 PM

Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:30 PM
Jookycola wrote:1997 Cavalier ZR-24 Moab Concept

Hard to get any technical specs of this car now, but i'm fairly sure it's a 2 1/2 inch lift using longer shocks, regular oem cavalier struts with a strut spacer, and longer springs from a Lumina.

longer springs all around from a lumina of the same year i'm assuming?

can anyone provide a link to a strut spacer for a cavalier? i cannot for the life of me find one. i'm starting to assume i'm into custom parts territory here......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:40 PM

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:12 PM
makes it harder to get you bikes off the roof.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:22 PM
blucavvy wrote:

longer springs all around from a lumina of the same year i'm assuming?

can anyone provide a link to a strut spacer for a cavalier? i cannot for the life of me find one. i'm starting to assume i'm into custom parts territory here......

Spacers will be custom, nobody makes them. They are cheap, just buy a set and test them on a spring to see if they seat correctly. You may have to bore them slightly to clear bump stops.

Monday, February 14, 2011 6:37 AM
Wow sweet someone doing something different. I like it. Spacers on the top of the strut seem like the best idea in the front. Can you space the entire rear sub frame away from the car to avoid twistbeam issues? Like with the twist bean you could conceivably run out of suspension travel, I dont see that issue in the front.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, February 14, 2011 6:45 AM

You're not allowed! I was going to do that damn it! haha

Seriously though, Ive been throwing the idea around for a while, trying to figure out the best way to lift the car.

Strats idea of spacing the front sub frame is an interesting idea, one I hadn't heard of.

2.5" lift seems like a lot, I don't think the Moab is lifted that far, I was thinking more along the lines of 1-1.5", but I haven't done the pixel counts on that picture yet to find out.

On the subject of struts, I was planning on making custom strut mounts that were however much taller I needed them to be, that will keep the strut extension the same as stock, and raise the car, while keeping a soft suspension that is wanted for light off roading.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, February 14, 2011 7:08 AM
You guys are morons. I would use a jack, possibly ramps but they can get annoying sometimes. All in all I would say a lift at the shop would be the most preferred.

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:09 AM
I like this thread...Soo, Who want's to buy my drop?

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:26 AM
Copter wrote:You guys are morons. I would use a jack, possibly ramps but they can get annoying sometimes. All in all I would say a lift at the shop would be the most preferred.

My plans were for it to be my winter car, that way I don't have to plow my driveway with my lip every morning, lol.

You'd have to find a yellow 00-02 with an LD9, swap the front end, W41 cams with side exhaust, modded base model mud flaps, Brickyard, Thule roof rack and big snow tires on 17's. I haven't found wheels that look right though. I was leaning towards 17" Long Beaches.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, February 14, 2011 1:13 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:

You're not allowed! I was going to do that damn it! haha
Seriously though, Ive been throwing the idea around for a while, trying to figure out the best way to lift the car.

Strats idea of spacing the front sub frame is an interesting idea, one I hadn't heard of.

2.5" lift seems like a lot, I don't think the Moab is lifted that far, I was thinking more along the lines of 1-1.5", but I haven't done the pixel counts on that picture yet to find out.

On the subject of struts, I was planning on making custom strut mounts that were however much taller I needed them to be, that will keep the strut extension the same as stock, and raise the car, while keeping a soft suspension that is wanted for light off roading.

to give credit where it's due this was definately tim's idea first. i just liked it and figured i'd look into what it would take, also i figured this would be a good discussion for the forum since like leafy said it's something different.

i like this idea. tell me more.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 14, 2011 1:16 PM

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:19 PM
I was actually thinking about picking Smoosh's Brickyard up for a while there, just for this project, lol.

If you can get it together by all means go for it, don't let me stop you. I'll just have to one up you when I get there

I wont have the money for another car and project until the summer of 2012. Hopefully it will be ready for that winter.

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:33 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:I was actually thinking about picking Smoosh's Brickyard up for a while there, just for this project, lol.

If you can get it together by all means go for it, don't let me stop you. I'll just have to one up you when I get there

I wont have the money for another car and project until the summer of 2012. Hopefully it will be ready for that winter.

i'm thinking monte carlo 95-99 spoiler

besides, it won't be hard to one up me as i've already stated that i'm not dumping much more into this car. but if you can make the strut spacer for the strut mount then i need you my friend

ur the one with the machine shop in his garage lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 14, 2011 1:34 PM

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:44 PM
And very little ambition to make other people parts, lol. We can tackle that when we get to it though, solid strut mounts are pretty damn simple.

Will the Monte Carlo spoiler fit without modification? I had only seen them on Camaros before. Hell if the Monte fits that might be the spoiler they used.

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:14 PM
Honestly not sure bout the spoiler,just figured I'd pick one up from a yard and see what it took to make it work.

I know tabs has a civic one I think it is, 00-05 maybe ww? Like I said I was just gonna toy with the Monte one. Probly shave the 3rd brakelight as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 14, 2011 2:18 PM

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:56 PM
im liking this idea! keep us updated please!!!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:34 PM
strat81 wrote:some of the guys that wheel subarus run spacers above the strut top hats. your biggest issues will be clearance in the rear as the torsion beam will pivot forward moving the tire closer to the body (much like extreme lowering) and cv angles on the axles in the front.subaru guys run spacers between the subframes (front and rear) to alleviate the cv issues but i'm not sure that would work in a j-body.

new question, with just a simple 1-1.5" spacer would i have to do anything like spacing the subframes? i'm not looking to lift the car up 3 inches. just a little something to provide some extra ground clearance.

and then would i have to only look into a different spring instead of a new spring and strut? just to space it an inch or so?

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:42 PM
IMO you won't need to worry about the rear wheel getting too close to the rear fender. Go jack the back end of the car up and watch the path of the rear wheel.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search