New Pads and Rotors - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Pads and Rotors
Monday, February 21, 2011 5:35 PM
It's coming up on the time to replace my front rotors and pads. I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations on what brands/ product I should go with. It's my daily driver so I'm not looking for any performance options or anything of that sort, although quiet and low dust would be nice. Thanks in advance guys.

Re: New Pads and Rotors
Monday, February 21, 2011 5:43 PM
Monday, February 21, 2011 9:34 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Powerslot rotors
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/PWR-126-62034SL
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/PWR-126-62034SR

Hawk HPS pads
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/HB390-602

cheapest place i found from store to door.

+1 been DDing this setup since about October of last year and have no complaints.
Maybe a TAD bit more dust than stock but not appreciably more.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:40 AM
Are the hub sections of the rotors actually coated in the anti-rust black?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:30 AM
yep. they come black centered.

and i think they have WAY less dust over stock. no contest.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:28 PM
I'm seriously considering this now then, only think I'm uneasy about is customs as I am in Canada. Thanks for the help guys.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:34 PM
they have live chat, try that?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:13 AM
Well its not about ordering or anything like that, I don't mine giving them a call. It's just about getting taxed when the items come through customs. I'm going to just have to work out if its beneficial to order them or try and work up something locally.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:22 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Powerslot rotors
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/PWR-126-62034SL
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/PWR-126-62034SR

Hawk HPS pads
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/HB390-602

cheapest place i found from store to door.

Best, Cheapest Combo.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:22 AM
yeah id say call them and ask about shipping to canada, maybe they can help you out. worth a try.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:34 AM
Magnum is in canada. They make a very cost efficient crossdrilled rotor/ceramic pad for our car.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:51 AM
Im new to the J-body scene but i put Hawks HPS on everything i drive. Rotors I try to get Brembo when i have the coin, if not then just ebay it. Never had a prob with my 98 TA with this. I just ordered a bunch of brakes for my newly aquired 97 sunfire.
Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:50 AM
Joshua Grooms wrote:Im new to the J-body scene but i put Hawks HPS on everything i drive. Rotors I try to get Brembo when i have the coin, if not then just ebay it. Never had a prob with my 98 TA with this. I just ordered a bunch of brakes for my newly acquired 97 sunfire.

You should introduce yourself in the newbies section, maybe a couple of pictures of the newly acquired sunfire... that's if you intend to stay around.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:02 AM
Peeves wrote:It's coming up on the time to replace my front rotors and pads. I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations on what brands/ product I should go with. It's my daily driver so I'm not looking for any performance options or anything of that sort, although quiet and low dust would be nice. Thanks in advance guys.

If you have Napa auto parts up there they sell their premium line of brake rotors with the center section coated in just a standard rotor... Cheaper than powerslots too.. And if its DD I'd rather have as much surface area on the brakes as possible and sacrifice the cooling the powerslots give ya that you would'nt utilize anyway.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, February 28, 2011 10:44 AM
Yeah i remember seeing those before, I'll go check out their prices on those and ceramic pads as well. Thanks

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:17 AM
Well just stopped in and checked Napa they no longer have the rotor's with the black anti rust coating, at least up here. They're Premium Ceramic Pads are a good price though so I'll probably go with those. Might have to break down and get the Powerslots.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:53 AM
I got a lot of my stuff from TTR and the duty coming across the border isn't too crazy. USPS is the way to go, a lot cheaper than UPS. Here's the link to what I'm running and I like them. Not too much brake dust and have nice stopping power.

Pads
Rotors

Sunday, March 06, 2011 10:58 PM
Has anyone used the Napa Premium Rotors? I am getting to the point where my pads and rotors need to be replaced. It's a toss-up between the Powerslots and the Napa rotors........which rotors should I get ?????
Monday, March 07, 2011 3:54 PM
Tealc wrote:Has anyone used the Napa Premium Rotors? I am getting to the point where my pads and rotors need to be replaced. It's a toss-up between the Powerslots and the Napa rotors........which rotors should I get ?????

Use them all the time on my premium brake service.

Really good rotors.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:55 AM
I use O'Reilly rotors and lifetime house brand pads. It stops on a dime and I'll never buy pads or rotors for it again

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:20 AM
Masintenn wrote:I use O'Reilly rotors and lifetime house brand pads. It stops on a dime and I'll never buy pads or rotors for it again

Wrong, "Lifetime" means they are warranted for defects in materials and workmanship for their useful life. Once a pad and rotor is worn out it is beyond its useful life you need to replace them.

I was a parts guy for over 4 years, this drove me nuts.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:26 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
Masintenn wrote:I use O'Reilly rotors and lifetime house brand pads. It stops on a dime and I'll never buy pads or rotors for it again

Wrong, "Lifetime" means they are warranted for defects in materials and workmanship for their useful life. Once a pad and rotor is worn out it is beyond its useful life you need to replace them.

I was a parts guy for over 4 years, this drove me nuts.

I won't be driving this thing by the end of their "useful life." It's an econo-commuter for me with just over 1.5 years left before I sell it. If the pads or rotors crap out before then, my O'Reilly's will replace them.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:45 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:I got a lot of my stuff from TTR and the duty coming across the border isn't too crazy. USPS is the way to go, a lot cheaper than UPS. Here's the link to what I'm running and I like them. Not too much brake dust and have nice stopping power.

Pads
Rotors

USPS is the ONLY way to ship across the boarder. Fed EX and UPS suck. That is why we only ship USPS to Canada.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 7:36 PM
Bleh hawk, if you want brake dust to pit your wheels and to go through pads and rotors fast. Get Carbotech brake pads, yes they're 178 a pair, BUT they stop better than the hawks, fade less, last longer, are non-corrosive, dont squeal, and will get you laid. Carbotechs should last you a couple years of hard driving, and hardly wear the rotors.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:25 PM
Leafy wrote:Bleh hawk, if you want brake dust to pit your wheels and to go through pads and rotors fast. Get Carbotech brake pads, yes they're 178 a pair, BUT they stop better than the hawks, fade less, last longer, are non-corrosive, dont squeal, and will get you laid. Carbotechs should last you a couple years of hard driving, and hardly wear the rotors.

50,000kms on my hawk pads. No sqeeling for me, hardly any brake dust, no fading and I get laid lots. So not sure where you got your info from. I do my fair share of racing and am hard on the brakes and have never had any issue with my hawk pad/EBC slotted rotors.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search