Suspension FAQ (05/22/2005) - Page 9 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Sportline/koni...where can i find a deal?
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:22 PM
Anyone got any information or feedback about the new koni suspension kit? Im talking about the package deal from koni that comes with koni springs and the koni yellows. Also, does anyone have any pics? Basically i was wanting to know what some opinions on a 1 inch drop in front and a 1.7 inch drop in back and if ppl would think this would give a good stance to the car or if it would look like that back of the car is lower than the front......

hope that makes sense,

Thanks

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:45 PM
the only one i know of on this board with that setup is hyppy... i mean hyspy

you should look him up

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:27 PM
couple of questions, are the agx's really out for our cars now or is the quoting from page 1 from a long time ago??? when I searched for gr2's, websites list them as oem replacements excluding 16" wheels which i have... so i can't use them??? i didn't think struts were affected by wheel size, what if i get rims??? any info would help...

thanks,
Geoff

"Would you drop it already?!? I mean your car..."
Sunday, March 13, 2005 2:05 AM
You want to look for KYB AGX adjustables... tirerack.com has them.

[a href="http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/96purplefire"][img src="http://www.j-body.org/registry/sinisterimage/sinistersig.jpg"][/a]
Sunday, March 13, 2005 2:33 AM
AGX's are out - go to www.tirerack.com

[a href="http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/96purplefire"][img src="http://www.j-body.org/registry/sinisterimage/sinistersig.jpg"][/a]
Sunday, March 13, 2005 11:13 PM
AGX's and 16" wheels no problem

see ya!

Monday, March 14, 2005 11:55 AM
I found this while searching for some more information for myself...I figure why not share.

World War II produced a host of inventions, some of which are still in use today. It’s common knowledge that the Germans used nitrous oxide to make the Messerschmitt fighter planes climb higher and faster than the Allies’ planes. When the allies shot down the first German plane they noted a unique device also pioneered by Messerschmitt, the rod end.

One U.S. company received the nod to duplicate this new control link. The H.G. Heim company was granted all U.S. patents, and to this day the part retains the nickname "Heim Joint". After the Korean War the surplus aircraft parts market boomed. Hundreds of varieties of rod ends became available at a tenth of their original cost. Many of these parts, while designed for aircraft, were not up to the task of suspension links for race cars. High quality and economical rod ends didn’t appear until the late '70s. They were produced by a Japanese company, N.M.B., which was caught by the U.S. government "dumping" (selling below cost) rod ends in the U.S. market. N.M.B. had to form a U.S. presence or leave the marketplace, so they bought a U.S. company, N.H.B.B. (New Hampshire Ball Bearing) and continue to make aircraft-quality rod ends today.

As the Heim patents ran out, a U.S. company began to manufacture economical rod ends for the power transmission industry. Superior Industries mass produced economical rod ends and over the course of a few years people from Superior formed Aurora, National, and several other rod end companies. Today over fifteen American companies make rod ends in the U.S. These products run the gamut from the stamped steel bodies used in control links for garden tractors to the 17-4 PH stainless units found on nuclear submarines.

Monday, March 14, 2005 3:08 PM
ok...and?

®â€îñg666™
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:51 PM
AND the original topic is lowering your car the right way. this has to do with making some custom components the where can i find a deal junk needs to be in the regular forum.

Re: HOW TO LOWER A CAR-THE RIGHT WAY (FAQ)
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:02 PM
on the kyb warranty, does the 1.5 refer to the uncompressed height difference or the installed car profile difference? my uncompressed difference was about 2" while the installed difference was 1 1/8" . while keeping that in mind the supplier sold them to me as 1.5 when i asked for 1.25 but when they shipped they were labeled as 1.75. when i asked the supplier about this he said they are all about the same. by the way the springs are goldline.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:13 PM
i recently bought and installed kyb gr2"s and goldlines. when i removed the old strut and spring i compared the old with the new. the factory springs were about 2" shorter. when i installed the new spring on the new strut i didn't have any compression. with all parts in place and the car jacked up i can move the spring up and down about 1/8". surely this can"t be the desired or intended effect? this movement concerns me and the alignment shop says the front end won"t stay properly in place like this. also the factory set up had a very thin rubber spacer that set between the spring and strut at the bottom. about 1/16" . the front end guy says this is supposed to be about 3/4" thick. does anyone have any suggestions?

Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:16 AM
The warranty is for the total drop of the spring or car not the strut.

Also KYB GR2 are not for lowered application it is just an OEM (stock)replacement the KYB AGX are warrantied for 1.5" drop. Gold line are about 1.7-2 inch drop so the warranty on the AGX is void. Best bet is Koni or Tokico that Gravanna is selling.

The rubber spacer is suppose to remain under the spring. There may be some movement on the spring when you lift up the car because most times struts made for lowered application have shorter shaft where are the GR2's are OEM so the shaft is longer so there will be some movement.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:02 AM
to answer russell;

you should not have any play in the front (fatter) spring. it should be tight inside the housing. the rubbber spacer at the bottom is just so the spring doesn't rub metal to metal with the strut, its not something else of which your mechanic is thinking. as for the back springs, yes, those should have a little bit of play in them (vertically) because those are significantly shorter than the oem springs. btw, sell those kyb's because you're going to blow them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, April 14, 2005 2:07 AM
how are aerospeed springs?

Thursday, April 14, 2005 6:01 AM
Spring Choices

1- Apex (1.6") - - - (Need Info & Input)
2- B-G Sport Springs (1.6") - - - (Need Info & Input)
3- DropZone - - - (1.7")
4- Eibach Pro kit (1.4") - - - (Great Choice/ Watch For Uneven on 2.2)
5- Eibach Sportline (1.7F - 2.3R) - - - (Great Choice/ Watch For Uneven on 2.2)
6- Fastco (1.6") - - - (Need Info & Input)
7- GoldLine (1.75") - - - (Nice Firm Ride, Popular Choice)
8- H&R Springs (1.6F - 1.4R) - - - (Need Info & Input)
9- Intrax (1.7") - - - (Need Info & Input)
10- MantaPart Sport Springs (1.5" or 2.0") - - - (Need Info & Input)
11- Progress (1.7F - 1.5R) - - - (Need Info & Input)
12- Spring Tech (1.8") - - - (Need Info & Input)
13- Sprint (1.8") - - - (Nice Firm Ride, Popular Choice)
14- Suspension Tech (1.2") - - - (Nice Ride, Small Drop)

Basically here quality will pretty much show in price. The smaller drops will obviously cost less, only a little is changed from stock. So quality shouldn’t really be an issue there. But once you pass the 1.5 mark, when you hear someone’s springs like Intrax for example which are rated for 1.7, they say they are at a 2-inch drop or 2 and a quarter, that means the spring has SAGGED. Like a woman’s mammaries, we all should know sagging is NOT GOOD. Sure some people may still like the ride that’s their preference. Getting used to something isn’t always the best thing. People do it, but so do inmates when they become bubba’s b****. Eibach, H&R, B-G are among the top springs, with goldline in there as well. These are the springs that get low past 1.5… Bearsfan has also had success with the 1.2nch dropping S.techs. They are one of the only sets that are linear springs. They have a decently low spring rate being linear and being spring only. Usually, even though those give a decent ride, people prefer stiffer springs, and most times lower, for increased handling and stability, but do keep in mind. There is more to the setup THAN JUST spring choice. It is possible to have a baddazz-handling car with a soft suspension and proper bracing and the correct anti-roll bars (sway bars). I will cover that a bit more in another post . Big Notice…springs and coilovers on ebay are cheap for a reason. As you see most quality springs are 150$-220$+, when you see springs on ebay being sold for 60$ there is a reason. I seriously hope logic kicks in for you.

for more info see here.

Friday, April 15, 2005 5:40 AM
hmm so they suck? cause they arent even on the list?

Friday, April 15, 2005 5:54 AM
Spring Choices

3- DropZone - - - (1.7") Some say of but not a good spring in general
7- GoldLine (1.75") - - - (Nice Firm Ride, Popular Choice)(Suppose to be the same as sportlines)
8- H&R Springs (1.6F - 1.4R) - - - (Need Info & Input)(Many like springs are stiffer that Eibach pro kit)
9- Intrax (1.7") - - - (Need Info & Input)(Nice can be a little stiff, higher in the rear to keep rake angle on car
15. Aerospeed (1.6")-- Springs are little stiffer spring are not progressive
16. Tien (1.2 and 1.8)--New springs good feed back

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 11:43 AM
Spring Choices

7- GoldLine (1.75") - - - (Nice Firm Ride, Popular Choice)(Suppose to be the same as sportlines)
8- H&R Springs (1.6F - 1.4R) - - - (Need Info & Input)(Many like springs are stiffer that Eibach pro kit)
9- Intrax (1.7") - - - (Need Info & Input)(Nice can be a little stiff, higher in the rear to keep rake angle on car
16. Tien S-tech (1.2'' and 1.8'')--New springs good feed back
17. Tien H-tech (1.1''-0.9'')--No feedback yet, smallest drop as of now.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, October 07, 2005 8:38 AM
Spring Choices

16. Tien S-tech (1.t'' and 1.5'')--New springs good feed back
17. Tien H-tech (1.1''-0.9'')--No feedback yet, smallest drop as of now.

Monday, December 19, 2005 5:05 PM
Quote:

-24mm stock FE3 bar (stock on 2003-2004)*

I have never seen FE3 on a J-body. The 03-05 IS beefier than the 96-02.. but it's still FE2.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:32 AM
Awesome sticky! Now I'm gonna upgrade my suspension to Eibach Pro-kit with KYB AGX. Can't wait.

~ When life seems to be slowing down....downshift. ~

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:55 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:
Quote:

-24mm stock FE3 bar (stock on 2003-2004)*

I have never seen FE3 on a J-body. The 03-05 IS beefier than the 96-02.. but it's still FE2.

There is no FE3 on a J-body. FE2 on 03-05 is 24mm, FE1 = 19mm, FE0 = None.
95-02: FE2 = 22mm, FE1 = 18mm, FE0 = None.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:11 PM
2nd gens had FE3

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:37 PM
STFU

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:33 PM
quick question, is it the higher or lower spring rates that make the car have a softer feeling ride? right now i have goldlines and koni yellows and am disappointed with the ride. it feels too rough and bouncy and was hoping to find a better spring with the same drop, but that allows for a smoother ride. anyone have a better solution? sportlines? tein s.techs?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search