My first attempt at nitrous! - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My first attempt at nitrous!
Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:27 AM
I have always been against nitrous and said I would NEVER put a bottle on my car. But I found a zex wet kit for $100 minus bottle and pills so I decided what the hell.(Just not happy with 9.7 1/8th and 15.3 1/4.)
So What would be some pointers? My car has 180,000 miles on the 2.2 eco(with the 2002 fuel rail) and it burns oil.
Do you think I am just completely retarded for even chancing to run nitrous with these many miles.

I got my car hp tuned for n/a a while back, he advanced the timing and so on, so I know I will have to go back to stock then maybe retard a lil maybe then run 1 step colder plugs and run 93 octane. I have been doing some research for a good minute just so I could build some confidence and not be worried the whole time.
The only thing I'm worried about is the oil burning problem I have been having.

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq

Re: My first attempt at nitrous!
Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:15 PM
Wow no replies?

Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:26 PM
man idk... with nos you can blow the motor... reguardless of the shot your running... just be prepaired to buy a new motor if one thing goes wrong... but hey on the bright side you can always throw the 2.4 in it if it does blow !!! lol
Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:52 PM
You must remember nitrous is a "shock" to the motor, fuel is being burned more rapidly so if the engine is in poor shape, you are much more liable to shorten the life of it even more. Now that's not to say a 50 shot won't be fine, it just may, but I would not go anything over that.

Thursday, June 03, 2010 2:27 PM
I decide to not do it.
It's my only car, no use blowing it just to keep up with ls1 cars.

Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:00 PM
so you want to sell the kit
Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:01 PM
just pm me and let me know
Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:15 PM
Naw its going on my buddy's 92 se-r sentra.

Thursday, June 03, 2010 5:36 PM
wait did'nt you say you just tuned your car for n/a performance? that would lead me to believe that you're already putting undue stress on it. if i were you i'd run a 50 shot and see how it takes it. yes you'd need to retard the timing 1 degree per 25 shot. and if running upwards of a 75 shot you'd want 2 step colder plugs. and obviously always run 93 plus octane.

i don't think you should get rid of it. see how it handles it. i highly doubt a 50 shot would blow your engine if it's been taken care of with proper maintenence. just because it's a high mileage engine means nothing. eco's are tanks. and as long as you're taking the proper precautions with nitrous it's not just going to blow your engine up. it's the same with every other type of modification out there, yes it puts undue stress on the engine but that does'nt automatically mean Ka-boom! most of the horror stories you hear are from people who run dry kits and don't compensate with extra fuel, or people who don't run higher octane gasoline or colder plugs. there are precautions you can take to make it safe.

just thought i'd throw my .02 cents in with everyone else saying no it'll blow it up!

Thursday, June 03, 2010 6:09 PM
I'm not going to chance it. It is burning oil.
I heard that won't turn out to good with nitrous.
It's to late now anyways. The kit is going on his sentra next week. That sentra walks me by like 3 cars already. It's the sr20 and it has the 300zx pistons,bigger cams,jdm quick ratio tranny, 2.5 exhaust, CAI. SAFC. That thing is a beast.
He has another with the pulsar gti-r motor that damn thing is ridicules

Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:04 PM
that's kool, just thought that i'd share my opinion that i don't think it's as dangerous as you think it would be. your engine has seen damn near 200,000 miles i would'nt be worried about it burnin a little oil. besides a used eco can be had for not too much.

Friday, June 18, 2010 7:40 PM
02cavcruzin wrote:I decide to not do it.
It's my only car, no use blowing it just to keep up with ls1 cars.

Thats been one of the biggest reasons Ive never thrown a 50 on my car. I have a family to support and no car = no work.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, August 02, 2010 11:35 AM
your not going to keep up with a ls1 car with a 50 shot... that is a pipe dream. Burning oil can be many things just depends on when it burns it. valve guide seals (when it first starts up then goes away) , rings (pulling a hill then letting off) , pcv system (Right after deceleration when throttle is re-applied) . have you accurately looked into it or are you just assumeing that the engine is dieing?

Remember... One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:01 PM
Rebuild the motor. New seals, valve guide seals, moly rings, rod bearings, and re-hone the cyclinders. Run for 500 miles to properly seat the moly rings, put it on a bottle and worry not?
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:40 PM
not everyone is going to rebuild an engine so that they can spray their 5,6,7,8,9 etc etc year old cavalier. besides, have you looked at the dates in this thread.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:41 AM
I doubt he looked at the date, Hell I rarely come here due to the low traffic in the Nitrous forum. Every 3-4 months and you can read the 3-5 new posts and your good haha.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 3:57 PM
JUCNBST wrote:I doubt he looked at the date, Hell I rarely come here due to the low traffic in the Nitrous forum. Every 3-4 months and you can read the 3-5 new posts and your good haha.

yeah, i still try and check it at least weekly. there's only a few people that ever come in here and pass on true info so.....

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:13 PM
Well I finally gave into temptation and put a nitrous kit on my car...
I've researched plenty and decided the time has come!
My friend let me borrow his half empty NOS bottle to test it out and it had 750 psi with no bottle heater...
It performed PERFECT as soon as the air was out of the lines! I was all smiles.
We wired it up with a micro switch as the wot switch and used the fog light switch for the arming switch.(Since I don't have fog lights anymore)
We took our time mounting everything too my liking. Not completely hidden but a clean install...

My car now has 196,000 on the odo and runs flawlessly on a 35 shot SO far... (I have a low mileage engine in the garage now in case of engine failure with nitrous)
I will pill it up after I get used to it for awhile, just a 50 shot most likely due to the high mileage..
Now I know I need a bottle heater,purge kit, nitrous gauge of my own, and a wideband.

I bought this kit for $125 on craigslist and came with

(1)4AN 20 foot line
(1) 4AN 2 foot line
(2) 2 foot 3AN lines
(10) nx brand jets
(1) ZEX bottle
(2) bottle brackets
(1) ZEX fuel solenoid
(1) ZEX Nitrous solenoid
(1) ZEX dry box (extra parts)
(1) ZEX nozzle

Parts I had to buy to get things started,

Wire
Nozzle mount kit
Microswitch to use for WOT
Zip ties.
NGK tr7 iridium 2 step colder plugs gaped @ .035

Anyways here are the pics...

Here is the $125 used kit.

Installed pics

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:45 PM
I don't see a fuel pressure safety switch, that should be a must. Glad you like it.

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:56 PM
Ya seems like something good to have, THANKS!

I know I need more stuff to add on but I'm just gonna keep the 35hp jets in it until I get anything else.

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:24 PM
awesome dude. bet ya it takes longer than you expect for that old engine to blow

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:47 PM
haha ya I already put the 50 shot pills in it, I just get bored of it...lol
I went through a full bottle in ONE day! I dunno nitrous doesn't last me that long...

So far I put a bus length on a 07 Acura TL...lol

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:47 PM
just make sure your doin it safe and not on the streets cause its the reason nitrous gets a bad name from police

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:58 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:just make sure your doin it safe and not on the streets cause its the reason nitrous gets a bad name from police

tru this!

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:09 AM
Well a little update. I got bored of the 35 shot real quick..haha
Now I got a 38 n20 jet and a 20 fuel jet (which = out to a 65 shot) and she runs pretty damn hard now.
Found this site pretty helpful. http://www.robietherobot.com/NitrousJetCalculator.htm I'm going with a 41 n20 jet & 22 fuel jet next and that is the highest I will go!
Got a few parts on the way also!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-AUTOMATIC-Nitrous-Bottle-Heater-Kit-NICE-No-Reser-/230587397588?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b01475d4
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=143

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search